Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

please be gentle....

Pages: 1 16 replies

Since joining TC I have been trying more and more new things:
new cocktails, tropical gardens, creating fountains that spit from out of a wall,hanging thatch and leopard print material on the walls, making "fish float" lights to name just a few things.
Now I have finally decided to branch out a bit into using some tools that I have never even touched before.
It started with me wanting to trim out the area around my stairs leading down to my lounge. I have way more time then money, so I wondered if I could maybe carve up something myself. I went out and bought myself a corded dremel tool. I asked Benzart for some tips and started in working on scrap pieces of wood. That turned out OK, but trying to carve tikis was a bit too complicated for me. Then the other day I was checking out the handiwork of Bamboo Ben. I noticed that he was using a router. hmmm, my dad owns one, why not try it.
So I borrowed dads, and tried some pretty basic designs today.
Now I remind you that I had never even held one of these before, and my husband being used to me doing crazy things just left me to it.(plus he'd never used one either)
So here is my first attempt. wasn't going for beauty on this test piece, just trying to get the feel for the tool. All free-hand done...

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 23, 2005 3:22 PM

I think that is really sharp. Actually, I think that's a fantastic job for never using the tool before. Do you still have both of your thumbs? Show us more, how long are the trim pieces? Great job!

-Gman

Exotica,
Good work, great finish. I've been carving everything except tiki work for years. Now the bug has biten me. I started and finished a 6 ft. pole yesterday. Picked up 3 more blanks today.
Congrats.

I think it looks wonderful! I am actually very interested in what exactly you did because I want to do the same thing for the rails on my bar. Don't stop now!

Thanks guys we're being very nice. I have done two practice pieces so far each was 4 inches wide and 8 ft tall. I may end up using these two pieces in the back of the bar area someplace...
Oh yea, I still have all my thumbs, although they are covered with stain now...
Before I even started I bought myself ear plugs, safety glasses and a dust mask. it's a real sight to behold :)
Forgot to mention, the pieces I intend to do for the stairs will big slightly wider 5 1/2 inches...

You see things and say, Why? But I dream things that never were, and say, Why not!

[ Edited by: exotica59 2005-10-23 16:02 ]

Great job Exotica!!
Be careful you will be buying chisels next!

B

Ditto here. Excellent work. "Be Gentle" she says, like you have never done this before.. Are you sure this is your first time using the router?? You should be very proud. Get more boards. Carve more boards and then sell the boards. YES!

nice work Exotica.....it would be nice work even if it
wasn't the first go -round with the router...keep it up1

Very cool Exotica!

I want to cover my backyard patio beams with boards just like those. Did you stain the engraved parts with a darker stain, or is that the way they turn out with just one stain?

tfisherart: I sure wish I could carve tiki poles, that would be the BEST!

You're right moondance, someday I'd love to be able to use chisels and carve a tiki. I've thought about it a lot. I think maybe I could do it if I watched somebody else do it for awhile.
Hey Benzart, how about making a video? I'll bet if I watched it over and over enough times I could at least give it a try.
JimTanden: I used a old can of stain/poly mix that I had sitting around in the garage. I found that by laying it on heavy in the grooves I could hide some of the imperfections that that my light sanding didn't fix. Plus I want the trim to look like they have been around for awhile,and most older grooved wood tends to collect dirt and gunk and looks darker.
If you want to see some great examples of this type of trim, check out work done by Bamboo Ben. I also think that Bosko's web site has some mighty fine trim based on nice straight lines, which I can not do free hand at this point.

Good stuff, especially for your first lick...I had to do 420 feet of that once in Maori Rauru and Fijian story patterns and age it for an install, and seeing it up- nice mouldings really make a tiki bar...God is in the details... Keep it up.

Great Job! first time? then don't let it be your last. Your new tiki bar is going to have some pretty cool looking moldings....

I really like the freehand vibe. I think it looks very well done. welcome to the world of routing....you can do a lot of really cool things with routers...

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2005-10-25 15:57 ]

Ever since seeing that pic of Bamboo Ben using a router I have been wanting to try it. Your first attempt has inspired me to take the plunge (router) and try.

Very nice work.

I have to say that I really enjoyed using the router. I have lots of ideas for up coming projects.
My step mom liked the pictures I sent enough to send me a gift certificate to go out and buy my own router.
This has worked out in my husbands favor also. He's always wanted me to clear out some of the Junk I have been collecting over the years and set up a proper work shop. Since I started the tiki lounge I have been searching for tools and trying to find a clear space to do projects . I guess it's time to make a proper workshop area in the garage. Need to add a lot more light too.
I'd like to be able to set out my grandpa old hand tools, they are beautiful as well as functional.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Oct 26, 2005 5:55 PM

Cool work. The detail with the black paint and the stain really set off the nice design. Cool

B

I think you have been bitten Badly by the carving bug. You are in for big trouble now. That "Small" space you are thinking of for your workshop area?? Triple it and you Still won't have enough room. Mostly, Keep Us POSTED.

That is cool. Nice loose design, makes me want to try it!

Pages: 1 16 replies