Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Ernest Ranglin CD

Pages: 1 3 replies

Found a great CD called: Below The Baseline, by Ernest Ranglin. Ranglin is a Jamaican guitarist with some mean credits to his name, including inventing Ska. Monte Alexander, the great pianist, also plays. It's groove tinged with reggae and some of the coolest music I've heard in a long time. (Not including the Haole Cats, of course!).
I recommend it to all.

Ernest Ranglin rules. You must also get "Memories Of Barber Mack" which came out right after "Below ...", and is very much in the same vein. Smooth stuff indeed. Also check out Dean Fraser's "Big Up" and Skatalites' "Ball Of Fire" which are both on the Island Jamaica Jazz label like the two Ranglin discs. Then you can go back in time all the way to the 1960s and hear Ranglin's early solo stuff, as well as work with the original Skatalites. There's a few more recent Ranglin releases, but the above mentioned two are my faves, though "In Search Of The Lost Riddim" from 2000 is worth a listen too. It's Ranglin playing with with all African musicians including Baaba Maal.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check 'em out.

Yow! Got the Skatalites Ball of Fire CD. This CD kills. As a matter of fact, my fiance wants to get married to one of the songs, which is actually Tradition, from Fiddler on the Roof All this, and an incredibly cool Bond theme to boot. Great recommendation!

Pages: 1 3 replies