Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

SHAG PAINTING FOR SALE - come on...don't be afraid to look!

Pages: 1 32 replies

Well, that time has finally come kats & kittens. I must sell my SHAG painting.

Painting is called "Take Five"
Acrylic and vinyl on panel
Painted by SHAG in 1999
Exhibited at the Long Beach Museum SHAG Retrospective

Framed by SHAG in bamboo frame
Actual painting is 19 3/4" x 25 1/2"
Framed 28" x 23"

Photo of the painting can be found in "Taboo: The Art
of Tiki" book
by Martin McIntosh page 56

Please email me if you are interested. Serious buyers only.

Mahalo!
Lisa G
glamourkitten

F
foamy posted on Wed, Oct 26, 2005 5:39 AM

"don't be afraid to look" - you should really give us something to look at.

B

What sort of price range are you looking for?

How do you expect to get paid - money order, PayPal, etc?

Have any digital pics (especially of the back of the piece with Shag's sig, et al)? If so, here's how to post them (care opf the TC FAQ) - http://www.tikicentral.com/faq.php#embed

Hey there "foamy",
Sorry about not having a picture up but, here it is.....

check out the link...

http://mars.walagata.com/w/bluevelvetvixen/IMG_0006.JPG

(img)http://mars.walagata.com/w/bluevelvetvixen/IMG_0006.JPG(/img)

glamourkitten

BaronV
Thanks for helping me upload the picture!!

Glamourkitten

T

Is this an original or a print. It looks original and what is the price. I thought that it was going to be on Ebay.

Hey there teaKEY

Yes, it is an original painting by SHAG.
Acrylic and vinyl on panel
Painted by SHAG in 1999

Currently I do not have plans to list it on Ebay.
I'm basing the price on what similar paintings have sold for recently at the La Luz De Jesus & Copro Nason art gallery shows in Los Angeles.

B

I'm basing the price on what similar paintings have sold for recently at the La Luz De Jesus & Copro Nason art gallery shows in Los Angeles.

So roughly between $6,500 and $7,500.00.

Thanks for the pics, really shows the texture of the piece.

BaronV

Yes, I'm asking $7,500 for the piece

JT

Did you actually buy this from a Gallery or was it from an individual? It just doesn't have the "feel" of a Shag, and he typically signs the back of the painting itself in pencil rather than the backing board in ink.

Just Curious

Jax Tiki.......Just curious

That's funny. I purchased this from JoSH AGyle himself. He actually delivered it to my house in the winter of 1999 and he even signed my guestbook. Let me know if you need to see a copy of that as well.

A Photo of the painting can be found in "Taboo: The Art of Tiki" book
edited by Martin McIntosh page 56. Published by Outre Gallery Press in 1999.

This is the 2nd SHAG painting that I own and even the first one is signed in black ink on the verso like the painting that I have for sale. Maybe you are confusing this with lithographs that he usually signs in pencil on the front. I have a few of those as well.

K

His name is Josh Agle....not josh agyle, not that it realy matters...

[ Edited by: kirby 2005-10-29 00:43 ]

F
foamy posted on Sat, Oct 29, 2005 6:00 AM

Can anyone post the plate from the book? I feel like there's something weird about that girl.

GlamourKitty, I don't doubt your verasity, I'm sure it's just me, but I'm not getting the "vibe" from that painting.

Let the savaging of foamy begin.

[ Edited by: foamy 2005-10-29 06:03 ]

I own two SHAG original paintings and this one looks
authentic to me. You can tell it's an earlier painting and
not quite as "polished" as his current pieces. Hope this helps.

S

The painting looks authentic to me, the picture actually shows the texture quite well, and it is indeed published in Taboo art of tiki. His newer paitnings are definitely crisper and smoother than his earlier ones.

We are fortunate to own 4 Shag originals, some are signed on the back in pen with title, some are not. All were purchased from a gallery show or directly from Josh or Piet (his brother who runs Shagmart, formerly switched on gallery.

I see no reason to doubt that this is an original.

JT

Sorry for doubting its authenticity. If you've been working around Tiki for 10 yrs, your OK by me. I'm just use to his more recent works. What is the other original you have?

Regards

[ Edited by: jax tiki 2005-10-29 14:52 ]

(foamy)

I'll glady post a picture of the plate from Taboo:Art of the Tiki
page 56

(Jax tiki)

The other Shag I own is "Banana Liqueur" September 1998

Also illustrated in "Taboo:Art of the Tiki" page 80. I purchased that one from a Copro Nason Art show at Bahooka in 1998.

Here's a piece of trivia for you...
You can find a photo of me with Shag on page 86 of Tiki News #17

Mahalo!

Aloha!
sirginn & tiki-riviera

Thank you both for your input! It's nice to hear from other Shag painting owners.

Mahalo!

Hey foamy!
Here are 2 pictures of the plate in Taboo:Art of the Tiki book. Enjoy!

http://mars.walagata.com/w/bluevelvetvixen/IMG_0009.JPG

http://mars.walagata.com/w/bluevelvetvixen/IMG_0010.JPG

F

Ah, and there ya have it. My sincere apologies. I'm gonna have to buy into tiki-riviera's explanation. It would make sense. Unlike me.

T

thats cool to have originals. That "bananas" one, is December's month painting on the current Shag calender.

THe color from the book and the painting appear to have different green colorings. I think that the photo picture doesn't capture the brush stokes and therefore look more polished.

Over all these years I have found that NO color reproductions of Shag paintings, be it personal photos, magazine images, or even the ones in his art books (I have not yet seen his most recent), do justice to the glowing color saturation of the originals. The best way to appreciate them is in person, it's a whole different level of eye candy.

And I can vouch for glamour kitten being an early aficionado of Tiki culture, once being Tiki News' local distributor. I think this is a rare opportunity to get ahold of an early work of a master whose art became so popular later that it seemed unattainable in original form.

I own an early original (one of his first 6) that's in "TABOO" and I will always cherish it.

V

true. Seeing his original art made me re-love Shag's art...you can really see the details and the work of the artist.

Thank you Bigbrotiki for that fabulous and intelligent explanation!

It is so true that there is nothing like the real thing. When I walked into my first Shag art show in the mid 90's I was hooked on the brillant colors he used. And from then on worked hard to obtain a few of his paintings. They are so amazing in person and have complimented my living room for so many years. It's very sad that I have to part with one of them and I hope it gets a good home with someone who appreciates it as much I do.

B
BaronV posted on Wed, Nov 9, 2005 4:07 PM

On 2005-11-01 08:47, bigbrotiki wrote:
Over all these years I have found that NO color reproductions of Shag paintings, be it personal photos, magazine images, or even the ones in his art books (I have not yet seen his most recent), do justice to the glowing color saturation of the originals. The best way to appreciate them is in person, it's a whole different level of eye candy.

I agree..up close and personal is the best way to view these...oddly enough, robert williams paintings look awesome in print, but they're a mess upon closer examination. don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of uncle bob's work, but it shows to go ya the difference between the original and a reproduction of works in print. As for shag, I actually have an original painting of his from years ago..it was never shown in public or seen in print..i'll try to post it here when I can...

B

Auction ended at $11,850.00.

As my grandmother says: that's a lot of bubblegum!

T

Glamourkitten,

Glad the auction did so well. I remember Michele (Galassi) talking about you getting this painting.

I thought the original offer of $ 7,500 was VERY reasonable (as evidenced by the ending auction price).

Can't believe that some were questioning it's authenticity - especially when you referenced it in the book, etc.

Have you talked to Michele lately?

Tiki Bob

Thanks to all the Shag fans who supported me.

I finally had to list the painting on ebay and it sold for $11,850.
And as for you 'doubters'......I guess it was real after all!!

Mahalo!

Aloha!
all you Shag lovers....just wanted to let you know that I'm helping a friend sell HIS Shag painting. You can check it out on ebay....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7374884754

Mahalo!

Pages: 1 32 replies