Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Pariartspaul makes a tiki sign on HGTV today!

Pages: 1 11 replies

Aloha all you tiki people,

I'll be making a tiki sign on HGTV today. The show is called 'That's Clever' and is on at different times depending on what cable system you have, so please check the TV schedule in your area. Here in Sacramento it is on at 9am and 2pm.

Be kind! It was fun and a lot of work; and as you will see, the producers make the artisans do all kinds of funny stuff. We're having a bunch of people over tonight to watch it and we're TIVOing it. I won't see it until the group is here.

Mahlo!
Paul

I'm calling home right now to have my husband tivo it for me. Thanks for the heads up.
I'm sure are just great on the show.

B

Ha, It was great! I especially love the shots of you in front of the horned mask on the back wall, with only the horns visable above your head. Not too shabby in a grass skirt either. Nice Job!

If someone is willing to burn me a copy of their recording I can trade something in return.

Great going, Paul! I came home to find my wife watching you on TV, so I missed the very beginning. It was nice to see how you work, and it was good to be able to say, "hey, I kinda know that guy!"

I didn't get chance to view the show, since both airing times were during working hours. But, I found an article on HGTV's web site on Paul's episode. Here's the link:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_hclvr/episode/0,2756,HGTV_23557_40758,00.html
(Sorry, can't get the entire link highlighted..)

Good Stuff, Paul (and Richard)!!

Myke

May the Tiki be with you, and float the Aloha to all parts of the world!

[ Edited by: Humuhumu - Fixed link - 2005-10-24 17:08 ]

H

Just saw it, and I loved it! You did a great job -- very entertaining, just the right amount of hammy. :) And of course, the sign looks great -- clever indeed, but it's also clear that they turn out so darned good 'cause you're straight-up talented. Congrats on the show!

p.s. -- tikiwinebear, I fixed that link for you

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-10-24 17:11 ]

Mahalo for a maikai show. Cool! Did you carve the tikis on the wall?

I'm bummed I missed it! You guys make amazing stuff and I have seen multiple photos of your pad and know so many people that have raved about your pad! Congrats!!!
Holden

R

I saw this, it was terrific! THANK HEAVEN for Tivo -- I set up a wishlist to record anything with the keyword TIKI and have seen both this and Crazy Al this month. Good times!!! Yay Tivo!

Congrats, Paul!
cheers,
Rupe

Well, I saw it last night with a crowd here and everyone liked it. Thanks for all the nice comments! I liked the way they edited it, they added some funny stuff. We got a few hundred hits on our website yesterday from the HGTV's website link to ours and we got quite a few emails from people requesting quotes for signs. So all in all it was a lot of fun to do and we got some good publicity out of it.

People were asking how long it takes to make one of those signs because on the show I just zipped through it in a few minutes... Well it takes a couple of hours for cutting and assembly. One day for base coats letting it dry between coats. The final paint job can take a solid day or two depending on the complexity of the artwork. And all that is not counting the initial design work.

Swizzledd: Yes we made the tikis on the back wall there - Richard and I made those for our first luau some ten years ago. The are made of styrofoam and paper mache' with Durum's wood putty spooned on for texture. We have them in the living room in a wall display right now, but they are heading back to the workshop soon because Richard is changing the theme in the main room for the Holidays.

And Tikiwinebear - sorry we missed your Luau this summer, it looked fabulous and the pictures you sent were incredible. You put a lot of work into it - I bet it turned out great?! I've GOT to get out to your area one of these days, I haven't been out there (Russian River) since I was about 15 years old I think! I'm curious to see how it has changed. I've got to get out more, but you know I'm kind of a homebody these days...

Thanks again all,
Talk to you soon,

Paul

HK

We just watched the show. It was fun! The sign was very nice. I just wish they would have shown a nice close-up so I could fully appreciate the art.

Mrs. Haole Kat

Pages: 1 11 replies