Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

need help making custom mug

Pages: 1 4 replies

TJ

Aloha,

I've seen in past posts that someone had made a custom label that they put on a mug to give to guests at their luau. I searched for that post high and low but could not find it. Does anyone remember this or have any tips on what clear label to use to attach, and how to attach, to a surface of a mug.

Mahalo,
Joe

You could have ceramic labels made for a reasonable price, but they have to be applied and then let bake in a kiln for a couple of days. Your local ceramic party place probably wouldn't turn down some extra income.

TJ

Thanks, great idea.

I was wondering how it went for you in the label endevor? I'm making a some proto types and have thought about the label space for them.What did you finally do?.

Wise screen printing does custom low fire ceramic decals. You send the design, they produce the decal. When they arrive, you will need to clean the surface area of the mug that you intend to put the label on. I use 99% alcohol on a low lint bar towel. Then follow the manufacturers directions. The process is the same as applying model car decals. Make sure to apply the decals to your mugs a minimum of one day before firing, as a wet decal will cause pinholes when fired. Also make sure your decal is layed on as smooth as possible, once again to prevent bubbling and pinholing. One of the mugs i put decals on was the hula mug from Wholesale Dynasty. The surface on back was sculpted to resemble a palm tree trunk, so it took a good amount of time to work the decal down into the grooves without too much tension.
If you do not have a kiln, find someone that has a studio. They will need to run the kiln low, i think it was much lower than 06. It should not cost too much for actually running the kiln, as lower temp means shorter running of electricity or gas and quicker cool down. From the point they load up the kiln till they open it and and you get to pick up your mugs should(barring a busy schedule)be one day (example loaded monday morning, you get mugs tuesday morning.) It helps if the person firing can have at least two mugs to test on, even more crucial if they have never fired decals, or are using a gas kiln.
I had 5 varieties of mug with two custom decals on each for my wedding reception. I did the design, had Wise make the labels, personally labeled over 100 mugs plus three test mugs, and brought them to a potter i knew. He had the mugs back the following day.
Hope this helps,
TT

Pages: 1 4 replies