Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Hope everyone is in good health! Post Wilma

Pages: 1 13 replies

M

For all of my Florida Ohana,

I am hoping Ben, Tiki G, Thanatos, Pablus, TFisherart, PalmCityTiki, and all of the others I can't spell right at the moment are safe and in good health. Only 5 weeks to go before this Hurricane season ends.

Mahalo

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2012-05-01 20:37 ]

P

Tampa made out ok.
A few limbs.
I've been up since 2am thinking about the Ft. Lauderdale Ohana.

My brother in law lives down there and they got shelled.

One good thing though for this year's blow... The weather actually got a bit cooler, and the heat during a post-hurricane power outage was probably the most annoying aspect of last year's bout with Jeanne and Francis.

Good luck Mai Kai Tribe and check in and let us know how you're faring.

TG

Oh all we got was a day full of rain Monday, ended by 4:00pm and the sun was out. Missed out on some good surf in the gulf though.........

How bout' you guy's? Waterfall still standing?

So glad fellow TCers and their homes are OK!
Anyone know if the Mai Kai is alright?

J

Lots of rain and wind here in Orlando, but no damage, thank goodness. Last year was too much for us...
Cool weather is nice, but concerned for the SF ohana.
Everybody OK?

M

Yes G, the waterfall still stands. All the primary structures (Bar/Arbor/ BBQ Hut) didn't budge. Can't wait for the mighty Oak tree to be replaced with a less threatening Poincianna tree once the addition is done! That was scary. Space center Anemometers captured some winds @ 94 MPH. Too close to last year and the big tree was rockin. Rediscovering the pool has been fun. My neighbors are hatin the tree as well.

Hope all are well!

S

Sending you positive thoughts Florida Ohana.

Hope you were spared any major harm.

Stay safe and be well.

B

I'm also hoping the rest of the Wilma survivors are OK too. We are fine here in Port Saint Lucie. Broken fences, ripped screens and landscape gone but other than that We are Great. Oh yes we have no power but at least we have a house to plug a generator into. Benzart is OK.
HappyHappyHappy.

Hey Ben,

So glad to hear you are well. Hope the rest of the FL Ohana is safe too.

B

Thanks Arty, We were fortunate, more so than Many others in South Fla.
I am concerned about the MaiKai. I know their damage is mostly superficial but it takes a LOT to recover from even that. It will be awhile before they can open their doors for business again and they have quite a large staff of workers to maintain. Wishing them the best of luck along with all the TC Ohanawho were on the wrong end of the Wilma map.

C&A- I think I saw your fence blow by during the first half of the storm... Just missed my car. :D

Power and internet both back today..

Aarrrgh!!
-Skully

The Lost Resort

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully 2005-11-02 15:21 ]

On 2005-10-27 18:39, Benzart wrote:
...I am concerned about the MaiKai. I know their damage is mostly superficial ...

We went to the Mai-Kai last night and had drinks. The place looked fantastic, considering what Wilma tried to do to all of South Florida....

Pictures and details can be found on this thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=17028&forum=1&start=last&51

I just heard from Dominique and Gary over at "Oceania, Etc". Those of you who were at Hukilau will hopefully remember them.They had damage to their house, which was right on the water.
UPDATED 11/15: From what I saw today, they lost some barrel tiles, which is fairly standard for any house in a hurricane. Other standard damage like foliage. What was unfortunate is they had water damage through the ceiling from where the roof was weakened. Water was also coming under their sliding glass doors facing the water. A few doors came off their hinges on the upstairs level, leaving water to come down stairs.

Quite a tale... and that was just the hurricane. The severely uncomfortable part is they were partly trapped in the development due to downed foliage. They were indeed unprepared to go without food and all utilities for almost 2 weeks. Certainly a lesson for all us susceptible to natural disasters.

Their fine now. The roof over the store finally decided that it couldn't handle anymore patches. There was some water damage to paintings, but it could have been lots worse.

Another story. Another lesson. Lots to think about.

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2005-11-15 19:40 ]

Pages: 1 13 replies