Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Carving a pine tree

Pages: 1 8 replies

We have a big old pine tree that is 40 foot+ tall. I hate to cut down trees, but this one has got to go. It drops needles year round and is a general nuisance to the gutters, plants below, etc. And we'll plant another 'friendlier' tree nearby.
We thought - what about leaving 5-6 feet or so of the trunk still standing and carve a tiki out of it?
The trunk base is 5' or more across and maybe 16-20 foot diameter? I know that pine can be soft and carve-able, but...
Is this crazy? can it be done? Who can you get to take on such a project?

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2002-11-15 19:21 ]

It could even be a 2 headed tiki!

HH

Just fly gecko out to you and Im sure It will be killer.

It can be done Mary. One of my favorite tikis that I carved for the Brown Pelican in Santa Barbara was in pine. It had a tung oil finish an almost glowed. I'll show you a picture at the bowl night. P.S someone swiped the neon sign in torrance already, found out today.

16-20' in dia.? That's one the biggest trees in the world???!!!!

Stonehenge!

J
jtiki posted on Sat, Nov 16, 2002 2:09 PM

Have you had a look at this from bigbrotiki's front yard?

http://bookoftiki.com/010.html

On 2002-11-16 00:36, thechikitiki wrote:
One of my favorite tikis that I carved for the Brown Pelican in Santa Barbara was in pine. It had a tung oil finish an almost glowed.

What's this? There's a tiki in my hometown that I didn't know about? This I gotta see! I'm there tonight!

Sorry Trader Rick, but the tiki only lasted a few weeks there before someone started to mess with it so it's no longer there. I was born in SB and have all kinds of family there. I'll eventually put a tiki in sb again.

Pages: 1 8 replies