Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

outfitting a home bar

Pages: 1 7 replies

D

I thought this topic was out here but unfortunately couldn't find it. Anyone have any suggestions for must haves of alcoholic beverages, mixers, etc. to outfit a home tiki bar? Also besides Binny's any other place in the Chicago area to get supplies?

Buy the Grog Log or Intoxica and they have good sections on starting a home bar.

besides binnys, check out zimmermans(312)-332-0012, and sams(312)664-4394, both have everything you'll need

must haves of alcoholic beverages, mixers, etc. to outfit a home tiki bar?

hummmm… Well, when I started I had a few bottles of rum and a couple of bottles of vodka. Now I must have over a hundred bottles of assorted liquors. Some that go fast like Myers and others that last for years... Pernod. To help with shopping for some of your "must haves" I would start with:

Bacardi white (Appleton white if you can get it)
Bacardi gold and 151
Myers's dark
Saint James Extra Old Martinique rum (Kaniche if you can find it)
Mt Gay Extra Old
Lemon Hart Demerara 80 proof and 151
Malibu coconut rum
Alize passion fruit liquor
Maraska maraschino liquor
Orange and blue Curacao (Bols)
Triple Sec (Bols)
Orgeat Almond syrup
Passion Fruit Syrup (both can be purchased online at Trader Vic's. I prefer Aunty Lilikoi's passion fruit syrup since it's the real deal but Vic's will do.)
Falernum (don't bother with Fee Bros and since Sazerac stopped producing .. you may have to make it yourself!)
Ice
Thousands of limes

Well that's a start on the rum drinks alone. I would take Benehune's advice and pick up a Grog Log at Amazon, pick a few drinks that you think you would like and then go shopping for the ingredients. Good luck and take my advice, buy the smallest bottle of Pernod they have.

[ Edited by: Chief Lapu Lapu 2005-10-26 17:34 ]

There are two things that are absolutely necessary when starting your home bar. Without them, all attempts will be pointless.

1. Lots of money.
  2. Lots of space.

It is an addiction... and I'm not talking about alcoholism even though it may follow shortly. I now have 25+ different kinds of rum and 18 different kinds of tequila. Not to mention all the different liquors and mixers necessary. I also have three large shelves in my garage that are used as a "back bar" for over stock. It would be a sin to run out of something halfway through mixing... wouldn't it?!

-T.J.

On 2005-10-28 17:11, Tonnikan Jinn wrote:

I also have three large shelves in my garage that are used as a "back bar" for over stock. It would be a sin to run out of something halfway through mixing... wouldn't it?!

-T.J.

Geeze I forgot all about my "back bar"... better add about 50 more bottles to my count. Then there's the "over stock" because you didn't check your “back bar” before you went shopping. Once you've successfully spent thou$ands of dollars of your hard earned money on the liquor and you're happy with your bar, then comes the problem of the nectars and juices. Finding them and storing them... guava, papaya, mango, passion fruit. How many times have I opened a carton of papaya nectar just to use 1 or 2 ounces and have the remainder sit in the fridge until it grows a new life form. If you’re lucky you can find these items. If you're even luckier you will find them in 8 oz cans (thank you Dole). Oh and by all means, don't forget your frozen ice straws and ice lined glasses and cups. You can take up half your freezer with these necessary items. You certainly don't want to have come this far and not have an ice straw to lower into your Navy Grog.

Enjoy the journey.

On 2005-10-25 03:56, Dawn32 wrote:
Also besides Binny's any other place in the Chicago area to get supplies?

I don't know about Chicago but if you ever get up to the Milwaukee area there's Discount Liquor. This store is so great that every time I flew out from Maine to visit my brother in Milwaukee a tour of Discount was always on the itinerary. Maraska Maraschino liquor you say? They've got it. I'm not sure just where it is located but if you're interested you could send a message to I, Zombie. He would know.

Pages: 1 7 replies