Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help with documenting Tiki-Kate's collection

Pages: 1 16 replies

As you've probably heard, tragedy struck Tiki-Kate's massive tiki mug collection a short time ago. Luckily, Tiki-Kate had entered her entire collection into Ooga-Mooga, so we should be able to create an inventory report for her with estimated values (based on Price Sightings) to submit to her insurance company.

Before we can create the report, I need to create Mug Templates for some of Tiki-Kate's more obscure mugs, so we can start entering Price Sightings. I've been able to get most of her mugs entered, and I have a few more I'm still working on, but a few of them are just head-scratchers for me. Sometimes I just need a little more info to describe a mug uniquely enough for a Mug Template, maybe just who made it, what it was made for (a restaurant? a gift set?), etc. I'll post the ones I've got questions about here, please let us know what you know about the mugs -- it'd sure help Tiki-Kate out a lot!

Here's the one that's currently got me a bit baffled -- I could swear I've seen these before somewhere, but I can't recall what the story is on these... any insights?

There are four mugs, and four shots (the images link to the entries in Tiki-Kate's collection). They're marked "Made in China" on the bottom:

(Edited on 10/31/05 to provide new link to mugs, based on new info:)

Pony Express Mugs

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-10-31 13:20 ]

I saw these mugs at Party City and Spencers.

Ah! Thank you!

I have the orange shot glass. I'd be happy to answer any questions(ie volume, size specifications, etc.). They were priced at $2.99 Canadian, but given away with purchases of more than $25.

Tiki-Kate's already given me great dimensions info on all her mugs; I mostly am just looking for a little info to help name them properly. Are there other design/color combinations beyond what Tiki-Kate has in her collection? Once I get the templates made, please feel free to enter Price Sightings for them!

I learned a bit more from Scott McGerik's collection:

http://scott.mcgerik.com/tiki/2005/10/23/tiki-mugs-and-shot-glasses/

Looks like there was also a taller mug size.

That orange shot glass also came in green and yellow, I've got the set of three.

H

Very helpful, thank you. I think that for now, until we learn who the actual manufacturer is, I'm going to call them "White Undercoat" tiki mugs.

If you need photos of these mugs, please let me know. I can send higher quality image files than what I post to my website.

Unfortunately, none of the mugs or packing materials had any manufacturers marks. It appears each distributor, such as Party City, Spencer Gifts, and Pony Express Creations, relabeled the mugs with their own labels. If I learn anything new, I'll let you know.

The manufacturer of those mugs is Pony Express Creations, Inc.
9350 Trade Place, Suite C
San Diego, CA 92126

I learned this from Kimberly Keller, Senior Account Manager at Pony Express Creations.

She confirmed that they sell those mugs to Party City and Spencer Gifts.

All I'm seeing is little red "x"es for the image... OK, I checked Scott's website & I've seen those pieces before. I work about a mile away from Pony Express's offices, is there anything I can do to help?

H

Thanks so much to all of you, especially Scott McGerik, for your detective work. The images in my post above had stopped working, because they'd been changed from a generic mug template to specific ones. I've edited that post with a link to the mugs, rather than call them "white undercoat" mugs, they're "Pony Express" mugs. Here's the link again: Pony Express mugs -- if you have Price Sightings to enter for those mugs (look in the lower left corner), that'll help us set an estimated value for her losses.

Here's my latest mystery:

Tiki-Kate's notes on this mug: "Jard? tiki mug-mostly brown-5" x 3"-unmarked"

Anyone know any more?

D

hey humuhumu ~ i have one of those handled mugs (its cracked) sitting on my desk holding pens ~ and i also have 2 more in minty condition. i cant remember where i found them, and dont know the history.

i guess the only way i can be helpful, is to take more pix ~ let me know if you need them.

B

This is what TC is all about. It could easily fit in 'Ohana as this kind of loving out-pouring could fit there. I am truly sorry about Tiki-Kate's loss and that of all the other victims. This effort is very cool and moves me. Now back to the work of identifying mugs. Sorry for the interuption.

That is one cool colored mug! Wow! I wish that was part of my collection. Good luck on identifying it.

H

Thanks to everyone who has helped ID stuff in Tiki-Kate's collection. You can see the list of mugs that were damaged or destroyed on her collection page (she has them grouped using tags):

Tiki-Kate's Collection in Ooga-Mooga

Now that we've gotten the mugs in her collection pretty well documented, we need information on the value of the mugs, based on price sightings. If you have seen any of the mugs in her collection available for sale, whether it was in a store, or a successful sale on eBay, please enter a Price Sighting -- with that information, we should be able to create a pretty comprehensive report of what she lost, and what it would take to replace it!

Thanks again for all your help!

Pages: 1 16 replies