Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Reno Fun Train 2006 - dates suggested

Pages: 1 6 replies

T

I want to get some idea of the interest in taking the Reno Fun Train again this winter. This may be your last chance to take the train as Amtrak initially denied the operator's request for the 2006 season due to budget cuts, but the State of California and other parties provided some funding so it could happen (but the rates went up a bit).

I tried to get some interest going on TC in booking a group last Summer but I got such little response that it didn't happen.

The Hawaiian themed train is sold out already, and the Feb 10th. and Feb. 24th. trains are nearly sold out. So, the only choices are the following.

Departure Dates
March 3, 10, 17 & 24

The themes are:
Mar. 3rd - Sports - 2:00PM Friday departure
Mar. 10th -Country Western - 3:00PM Friday departure
Mar. 17th - St. Patrick's - 10:15AM Friday departure
Mar. 24th - Poker - 10:15AM Friday departure

The themes aren't that important to most passengers, but if I had to pick one I would go with the Country Western theme. The only drawback about this train is it's later departure which puts you into Reno at 10:15PM (not exactly late for Reno but Amtrak trains often run late). One good thing about the late departure is the train is lots of fun after dark, especially in the dance car which they keep real dark with the disco ball going (OK I was drunk).

For those who didn't get on the train last year, here's more info:

http://www.keyholidays.com/reno/funtrain/funtrain.html
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11770&forum=4

In a nutshell, for $265 per person (based on double occupancy) you get round trip train travel to Reno from Emeryville, 2 nights lodging at the Nugget in Sparks (or the hotel of your choice, but the cost differs), transportation to and from the train station to the hotel, and lunch on the train.

But, the best thing about this train is that it's an adults-only party train with lots of festive people. You can bring anything you want (food, booze, travel bars, etc.) on board. You have a friendly attendant who will bring you ice and whatever else you need. There's a piano bar, a dance car with a live band, the Funatics, who sound as good as their name does, and a dome lounge. Many of the train's cars date from the 1950s and 1960s.

Plus, you get to go to Trader Dick's at the Nugget for 2 nights in a row!

Awful awful burger anyone?

T

One more thing: I'm open for any train except the Sports themed train!

M

Yeah, C&W gets my vote. Reno sure loves their cowboys! Yehaw!

M

The jab is looking for a date? WWJD --who would Jab date? :)

On 2005-10-27 17:22, mrsmiley wrote:
WWJD --who would Jab date? :)

A father's daughter who owns a Stewart Anderson's Steak House?

hey jab the best part of taking the train is that we can get as drunk as we want and not worry about being left behind! yeeeeeehawwwwww!

for the record the CW or st pattie's theme gets my vote.

There's an article about the Fun Train in Sunday's SF Chronicle travel section:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/01/22/TRGQBGOV871.DTL

Pages: 1 6 replies