Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

wikipedia

Pages: 1 11 replies

P

I put in "Tiki Mugs."
Would some of you scholars who also know how to edit stuff in there please go in and doll up that entry with a photo, some more info and a better layout.

I did my best.
I'm not an i-guy.

P

Hmmm - they may have ditched it.
I saw Duke's book under the "tiki" refs so that may be enough for them.
Mugs should have their own page though. I hear their cries from being excluded.

I'll have to admit I don't understand Wikipedia fully but use it often.

Pablus, I'll get started on a little clean up later today.

On 2005-11-01 06:44, freddiefreelance wrote:
Pablus, I'll get started on a little clean up later today.

Didn't you already write a bit on there...or am I confused?

I've worked on the Tiki page, added the references & links to the Tiki Mugs page & added the original stub for the Ray Kane page.

P
pablus posted on Wed, Nov 2, 2005 5:15 PM

What are you... a PHD or somethin'?
Mahalo!

OK, I'd like to ask for images & permission to upload'em to wikipedia for the Tiki Mugs entry.

I'd also like suggestions for expansion of this stub into a more complete entry: include discussion of cross polination between designers? Should we break down mug descriptions along the lines of Ooga-Mooga's 20 Basic Templates? Is there a known timeline of mug design? Discuss the current state of collecting? Give out KoalaCharms & Edge of Texas' addresses, telling people to just drop by to see some of the world's greatest collections? (OK, kidding about the last one...) Any other suggestions?

I'm also updating the Mai Tai entry to include the Don the Beachcomber version MachTiki listed Here.

Also, should I include information about the current state of Tiki carving in the Tiki Tiki article? Does anyone have other suggestions for expanding the "Tiki culture in the US" section? Suggestions for an "International Tiki Culture" section?

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2005-11-09 10:27 ]

P
pablus posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2006 7:13 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiki_mugs

Jolly good, Dr. Freelance!

I tried to get a ref for "Crazed Mugs" in, but they said our band was "irrelavant."
Imagine that. I tried to tell them we were known by dozens and dozens of people! Maybe even a hundred!

:wink:

...sigh... maybe if we win that Hawaiian Music award.

On 2005-11-02 10:57, freddiefreelance wrote:
I've worked on the Tiki page, added the references & links to the Tiki Mugs page & added the original stub for the Ray Kane page.

Nice job!

No good deed goes unrewarded (or unpunished). It appears you now have to do work on the tiki bars page.

On 2006-02-02 22:17, christiki295 wrote:
Nice job!

No good deed goes unrewarded (or unpunished). It appears you now have to do work on the tiki bars page.

Before I create a stub for the Tiki Bars page I'd like to point out that the Tiki page needs a section on Polynesian Tikis. Would anyone like to create one, or if they feel up to writing the section but not up to editing Wikipedia they can post it here or PM it to me & I'll edit it into the page for them.

OK, I've added the stub for the Tiki Bar entry. I'll try to work on expanding it with a short history of Tiki Bars, comments on modern Tiki Bars, and Home Bars, plus a couple links (web pages for Tiki Bars, Kona Kai!, and the Tiki Bar Review page), and reference links to BOT & TRT.

The image I uploaded for the Tiki Mugs page was removed due to disputed copyright info. The picture was a Peanut Mug from Humu's collection I used with her permission, I'm going to reupload the image, mark it as "Fair Use," and that it's "from the collection of" Humu's real name. Humu, if this isn't cool please let me know.

I'd still like someone with more knowledge of Polynesian Tiki history & styles to help me with info for updating the Tiki page. Even an outline that I could flesh out would be appreciated. Any takers?

[edit]Crud! Humu, I'm mistaken on the use of the copyrighted image, I'd have to show that you've given up all rights in perpetuity. I'm going to have to take some myself since I can assign the copyright as I see fit. :sigh: I'll work on that later.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2006-03-02 12:03 ]

TT

I attempted to make some Wikipedia updates and am finding it difficult. I tried to add external links with a link to ooga-mooga.com for the Tiki Mugs page and a link to critiki.com for the Tiki Bar page and an editor named MrOllie reverted both of them back (erasing the links). Furthermore, when I attempted to spell Duke Carter's name correctly in a section on the Tiki Mug page that referenced his Tiki Quest book, this same editor simply removed all reference to Duke. Yikes! So the page ended up being worse for wear from my failed attempt to improve it. I left a note for MrOllie but I'm not holding my breath. I've read that others have been blocked or quickly re-written in their efforts for various edits on Wikipedia, but I just had to give it a shot. If some of you have more experience with Wikipedia and want to try giving this a shot, please let me know how it goes.

Pages: 1 11 replies