Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Does anyone know me?

Pages: 1 5 replies

D

This Tiki may be easy for those familiar with such,,but I've bought books and searched many places and cannot find exactly where it comes from or which one it is. I was told once that it appears to be an artist's idea and probably unique to his work. I have found several objects close, but not close enough to satisfy me.

It stands only 2 inches tall and is solid silver, being obviously poured into a mold. The closest Tiki similar comes from Brazil but I was told this one came from a Polynesian background.

Any idea?

[ Edited by: delzo 2005-10-31 16:54 ]

It looks slightly Maori-ish. I would guess it's an artist's take on the Maori carvings

D
delzo posted on Mon, Oct 31, 2005 5:12 PM

Thanks for the clue, I'll research it tomorrow.

I've read quite a bit about Tiki collecting and have viewed hundreds of pictures but cannot seem to find many statues cast in metals, such as mine. Is that rare,,,,especially when they are cast in silver?

When presented to me,,,,I was given a strict set of instructions. Maybe a joke,,,but she seemed really sincere at the time.

Learn to love and respect it.
Never doubt the power within it.
Protect it and it will protect you.
Keep it always.

The statue was supposedly given to her by her grandmother and I received it as a gift of gratitude.

There used to be Tiki jewelry trinkets in 60s, some of which have been recently re-issued by a company called Eldorado Club (maybe http://www.eldorado-club.net?), but this puppy looks like a one-off, free interpretation of a Tiki.

Should be treated as directed, of course!

Looks like a Maori inspired tiki ( tongue out symbolizing agression/ ferocity) mixed with some hawaiian tiki facial attributes(headdress acencding upward symbolizing vertebrae and links to ancestors). Definitely not traditional! A fun artist's interpretation of tiki style.

Enjoy it!

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-01-15 23:35 ]

D
delzo posted on Tue, Jan 17, 2006 9:18 AM

OK,,,, I certainly appreciate the help. I've had several people get excited about it, but nobody could name it's orgin. Not being a traditional Tiki is the hang-up I guess.

I have a new direction to search now. Thanks to everyone!

Pages: 1 5 replies