Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The second-ever Tiki Central & Munktiki Mug Design Contest!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 183 replies

Long overdue, Munktiki and Tiki Central are proud to announce the second Official Tiki Central Mug Design Contest!

Come up with your own design for the next Tiki Central Mug! The winning design will be sculpted and cast by Munktiki and will be sold exclusively through Tiki Central as the latest and greatest Tiki Central mug. Just think, your design could be the next to sit next to Shecky!

RULES

Deadlines and how to enter:

• Designs must be submitted by November 30th at 11:59pm Tiki Central time.

• Submit your design by posting it to Official Mug Entry topic before the deadline. You must arrange the hosting of your own images.

• Final designs will be taken from the Entry topic on December 1st for consideration.

• Please note that if you post your design early other people will be able to see your design. If you wish to avoid people copying or stealing ideas from your design, post your design here close to the end of the deadline.

Entry Guidelines:

• Designs must be the entrant's original creation.

• Entries should include a design of the straight-on face. Additional angles are welcome but not required.

• Designs must be submitted in the form of images. The image can be a drawing, computer rendering, sketch, painting, photo of a sculpture, etc. As long as you designed it yourself.

• You don't need to be an artist to enter, as long as you can convey your idea in image form.

• In addition to images, a text description of the design and your concept behind it can be included.

• Each member can enter up to a maximum of three designs. Please use your own Tiki Central membership to post your designs.

• Designs are judged on the following: what design would best represent Tiki Central and its members, and creativity.

Other stuff:

• The winning design will be chosen by a panel of judges made up of Hanford Lemoore, Munktiki, and other Tiki Central members as selected by Hanford Lemoore.

• Winning design becomes the property of Tiki Central.

• The creator of the winning design will get design concept credit and two free mugs.

• Entrants must be members of Tiki Central in good standing.

• Munktiki will make the final sculpt and has the right to modify the winning design as they see fit including shape, size, and glaze color(s).

• Hanford Lemoore has the right to modify deadlines and rules at any time.

Good luck everyone! May the best design win! Please reply to this topic for feedback!

~Hanford and Stuckie

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2005-11-01 02:17 ]

I'll bite... :)

Yeehoo, I am in too, I have a feeling this this is going to be one tough choice for da judges.

Chongolio

F
foamy posted on Tue, Nov 1, 2005 5:28 AM

Here we go... this will be fun.

M

I'm in!!!

T

Am I allowed to enter? Or will I be run out of town for even suggesting that?

M

On 2005-11-01 06:41, tikifish wrote:
Am I allowed to enter? Or will I be run out of town for even suggesting that?

send me your ideas and I will 'ghost' enter them! :)

Actually, the Islander had the Smiley mug, and I think it's time for a real Mr Smiley mug!

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Nov 1, 2005 4:44 PM

I have been waiting for this since I signed up for Tikicentral. A mug would be a crowning tiki achievement for me. I think that I already have the design that I am going with and I can't believe that there is such a short time to judging. It means that I don't have to wait as long to see what mug that I am going to buy. I think that a lot of people are going to want this one. They are going to sell out quick.

Can we summit a couple of entries?

UJ

I'm in too.

now where are those damned doodles I've been doing....

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2005-11-01 18:28 ]

M

Finally! I'm stoked to enter, we've been talking about this day for a long time. Good luck to all who enter.

How many will be made? How much will they cost?

Do I have to be a Grand Member to get the special color?

There was a first mug design contest? When I first read this thread I didn't think I would have any ideas but a few minutes go by and I have a couple. Still some working out to do but this should be fun. Thanks for giving everyone a chance at this.

H

sporkboy, here's the winning entry from the first mug contest, a few years ago, designed by tikifish:

Shecky

teakey, Hanford's post states that each TC member can submit up to three designs.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Nov 1, 2005 9:37 PM

My mind just hit the nitrous button kicked me back in my seat...

Ill have 3 entries in.

On 2005-11-01 19:53, MauiTiki wrote:
How many will be made? How much will they cost?
Do I have to be a Grand Member to get the special color?

In a long-held tradition in Tiki Central Contests, we didn't think it through very far. Those details are still to be decided.

Our hope is to have a mug for every Tiki Central member who wants one, but there's no promises at this point.

More details as they emerge ...

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2005-11-01 23:10 ]

T

"Our hope is to have a mug for every Tiki Central member who wants one, but there's no promises at this point."

That'd be so lovely...I long hopelessly for a Shecky to come live with me, and I know I'm not the only one! snif

Thanks for the info Humuhumu. The last contest was before I became a member so that explains my confusion. Shecky is an awsome mug, I'm looking forward to seeing what others come up with.

I'd like to put forward for your consideration the Purple Jade Hanford Mug!

I can't add the mug to the design thread, PJ's gotta do that, but I'd still like to remind everyone about this wonderful mug.

M

Am I allowed to play???

On 2005-11-02 20:20, smogbreather wrote:
Am I allowed to play???

No!!!

But you could go under anon!!!!!!!

Arrrrrrrr!!!

Arrrrrrrr!!

Arrrrrrrr!!

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Nov 3, 2005 5:39 AM

Smogbreather, play?, why, you got anything good. Why not have a contest of your own. Theres enough good mug designs to good around.

Enter as you wish. Any and all may enter.I may even put an entry in :)

-stuckie

W
wicked posted on Fri, Nov 4, 2005 8:08 AM

ooooo... now here's a challenge.
must really work on this.

I want to enter this one. It's soooo Zazzz!

Designs must be submitted in the form of images. The image can be a drawing, computer rendering, sketch, painting, photo of a sculpture, etc. As long as you designed it yourself.

Well, my Grandfather designed it, and.... I'm named after him, and..... I'm carrying on the family tradition, and... it's a major part of tiki history, so.........does that count??

It would be a great mug for TC.

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2005-11-07 19:18 ]

Me too.

On 2005-11-04 08:23, RevBambooBen wrote:

I want to enter this one. It's soooo Zazzz!

That would be a sweet mug!!! I love that Tiki??

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2005-11-04 19:00 ]

M

On 2005-11-03 05:39, teaKEY wrote:
Smogbreather, play?, why, you got anything good. Why not have a contest of your own. Theres enough good mug designs to good around.

I agree with TeaKEY, Smogbreather needs a TC contest of his own!

OOPS...wrong thread.

[ Edited by: purple jade 2005-11-07 17:25 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Sun, Nov 6, 2005 7:34 PM

its offical but it one step away still. There is a seperate area that only pictures of mugs go into. 25 days left. Can you tell that I love this topic. :drink:

I've always supported the artists and have never done one of my own designs. Why can't I have some fun and offer up a design TeaKey & Maui? I've seen the designs that you guys can do and I'll probably fail miserably but shouldn't this be a fun project?
Holden

[ Edited by: smogbreather 2005-11-07 22:34 ]

H

On 2005-11-07 22:30, smogbreather wrote:
I've always supported the artists and have never done one of my own designs. Why can't I have some fun and offer up a design TeaKey & Maui? I've seen the designs that you guys can do and I'll probably fail miserably but shouldn't this be a fun project?

Absolutely, anyone can offer up a design! I think it would be crazy cool if Stuckie & Holden wound up working together on a project, that'd be straight-up aloha.

M
Moki posted on Mon, Nov 7, 2005 11:31 PM

I agree!!! Let Holden play!!!
:drink:

B

I agree too. I would Love to see some Holden designs, who knows, all that smog breathing may produce the Perfect mug..
Go Holden.

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Nov 8, 2005 2:49 PM

Smogbreather, I want you to play. Actually, I would have thought that you being at Tikifarm, that you have made many tiki mugs in the past. I want to see what you have to bring to the table. I want to see what everyone has to bring to the table. I love the mug part of tiki (the best part) and I think that this contest is even better yet.

I think it would be good to see tikifarm to have a contest one day. Tikifarm is a different company and would do things diffent and exciting.

M

On 2005-11-07 22:30, smogbreather wrote:
Why can't I have some fun and offer up a design TeaKey & Maui?
Holden

I didn't say you couldn't play, just thought another contest would give us more chances to win! Let's see what you can do!

MauiTiki

Tiki Stickers and more!
http://www.stuckonmaui.com
Hawaiian Clip art for your Computer
http://www.islandimages.com

[ Edited by: mauitiki 2005-11-10 11:34 ]

What? Let the guy who owns the biggest tiki mug production company in the world play?
Only if your kindergarten teacher marked the box next to your name "Plays well with others".

That would be ZAZZ if Holden wants to play. Absolutely!!!

Where do we sign up to be on the list for one of the new mugs?

Atomicchick,

It's still too early for actual orders. We don't know any details as to how many we'll make, what size they'll be, etc. Only after the judging is over can we begin to sort those details out.

~Hanford

I think Holden should play too! But wouldn't it be great to hear some of the "dos & don'ts" of mug design from someone who actually produces mugs? (Meaning the physical limitations of mug molds & mug production vs. drawn up designs) So how 'bout it, Holden? Can you spell out some pointers for the rest of us wannabe mug designers before we get deep into it?

I have a question. As we have all witnessed, some of our fav tiki mugs have been inspired by indigenous carvings. My inspiration is being drawn to those influences.

Where do the rules stand regarding borrowing aspects of such carvings of antiquity (not referring to any original works by our TC ohana)? Where do we draw the fine line between ripping off from such works?

Hanford, if you need me to email you the entry I'm about to submit to see where it falls, please do let me know.

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2005-11-13 16:49 ]

T

Not to answer your question, but a traditional tiki mug in itself is a rip-off.

T

Unkle reminds me of a hairless zombie mug.

On 2005-11-13 16:15, I dream of tiki wrote:
Where do the rules stand regarding borrowing aspects of such carvings of antiquity (not referring to any original works by our TC ohana)? Where do we draw the fine line between ripping off from such works?

The judging will be based partially on creativity, so the originality of the design will affect it's score. There's no "line" per-se. Keep in mind that the rules do state that he design needs to be yours.

I know that sounds vague but there are so many influences in Tiki that it pretty much is case-by-case.

~Hanford

On 2005-11-13 02:04, Aaron's Akua wrote:
I think Holden should play too! But wouldn't it be great to hear some of the "dos & don'ts" of mug design from someone who actually produces mugs? (Meaning the physical limitations of mug molds & mug production vs. drawn up designs) So how 'bout it, Holden? Can you spell out some pointers for the rest of us wannabe mug designers before we get deep into it?

most great designs can be overcome by creative sculptors! have fun with the designs and I recommend not to limit yourself. Undercuts & negative draft are realities though - don't do designs where the molds can't be pulled off at a 90 degree angle off of the sides (for example, a nose where the tip of the nose has an area underneath it where it recesses upwards... think about it in 90 degree pull terms).
Holden

[ Edited by: smogbreather 2005-11-14 22:40 ]

I think one of the Genuine Counterfeit Reloy carvers should post one of their pieces, a`la AA:

You make the top half the part that holds the drink.

T

AA made one, but its not really one of his designs. But it would make a pretty good mug. Maybe the bottom too heavy.

On 2005-11-14 22:33, smogbreather wrote:

most great designs can be overcome by creative sculptors! have fun with the designs and I recommend not to limit yourself. Undercuts & negative draft are realities though - don't do designs where the molds can't be pulled off at a 90 degree angle off of the sides (for example, a nose where the tip of the nose has an area underneath it where it recesses upwards... think about it in 90 degree pull terms).
Holden

You answered before I could! But I'd like to add that, although fewer mold parts makes it easier and the molds cast longer, you can have an infinite number of undercuts. Just depends on how much work you want to put into it. I have one mold I made which has 6 plugs inside the main mold parts. Of course, it's showing some pretty serious wear these days....

On 2005-11-14 14:35, teaKEY wrote:

Unkle reminds me of a hairless zombie mug.

Yeah I was looking through one of my books last night to show my sister in law a mug and I saw that zombie mug. Dang I thought I was original. Oh well back to the drawing board.

Oh man... Hanford Lamoai!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice job Mach.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 183 replies