Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mug Design Contest Entry topic

Pages: 1 2 82 replies

IMPORTANT: Please only post entries here.

Comments, questions, feedback, and everything else belong in the Mug Contest Rules topic.

Anything posted to this topic other than entries will be deleted.

[ Edited by: ookoo lady 2006-09-14 19:57 ]

i wanted to beat unga bunga to the microsoft paint design, so here is my entry #1.

i'll put more than 2 minutes into entries #2 and #3 :)

Put this in the wrong place before. ..(thanks and sorry Hanford.)

OK, consider it officially submitted.
(...and thanks, Doc FF.)

RevBambooBen
Grand Member (2251)

Posted: 3 days ago; 08:23 am

I want to enter this one. It's soooo Zazzz!

Designs must be submitted in the form of images. The image can be a drawing, computer rendering, sketch, painting, photo of a sculpture, etc. As long as you designed it yourself.

Well, my Grandfather designed it, and.... I'm named after him, and..... I'm carrying on the family tradition, and... it's a major part of tiki history, so.........does that count??

It would be a great mug for TC.

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2005-11-07 19:18 ]

photo courtsy of Critiki!

O
Octane posted on Mon, Nov 7, 2005 9:34 PM

here is my first mug design, it is from a carving i did over the summer. It is off a tiki squating on a rock, with his arms around his legs.

The second design is of a tiki torch mug. the mug has a lid that comes off. on the lid the wick is hollowed out for 151 rum, making the torch actually fire up. the bottom is hallow, with the look of bamboo.

the third one is of a stool i carved a while ago.

well thats it for me

Here is my first submission, Smokin' Moai. I hope that you really meant it when you said you didn't have to be an artist because I'm not.

I'm tired of those guys over in Spain having all of the fun with dry ice and smoking tropical drinks. It's about time we had something like that. In this design I went very angular with a simple moai design. What sets this guy apart is that there are to chambers for liquid. The lower part being able to hold water and dry ice and the upper part for your drink.

Please note the small lip in the bottom part to help the bottom liquid from sloshing out. A straw would be most useful with drinking from this mug.

The coloring I'm not picky about though the mouth should have a contrasting glaze, reddish or brown maybe. This would be helpful if you took a small glow stick and popped it in there either with the dry ice mixture or without it.

The design was partially inspired by a 60's mod fireplace. I hope that you like it.

Sporkboy

K
kirby posted on Thu, Nov 10, 2005 3:19 PM

Here is my entry...its just a scetch for now...side view to and color to fallow...

This mug would best represent Tiki Central and its members, and creativity, because it shows people being "consumed" by Tiki.
I call this mug design "The Happy Cannibal"

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-05-04 07:23 ]

Congrats Chongo!

[ Edited by: purple jade 2006-02-20 13:23 ]

Here's mine:

Everyone (just about) who is on this board has one particular mug they want. But everyone can agree that it would be nice to get the Ren Clark severed head mug. Well for those who cannot get that mug, have something equally gruesome, I give you straight from the Kahiki Palms Motel & Tiki Lounge: Unkle John's Shrunken Head:

I did how ever think of a small hole in the side of his mouth for an decorative pipe.

http://www.unklejohn.com

My Tiki Lounge http://unklejohn.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2005-11-13 20:48 ]

Here goes my entry... the (Hanford) Lemoai.

damn, this is some stiff competition. well i'll throw in my entry #2 anyways.

j$'s sacrificial god pitcher

kind of bending the rules here. the intention for this is that we have so many mugs to drink out of, this would be a supporting piece. the mixologist could make a pitcher of the intended drink and pour it from this sacrificial/ceremonial vessel into the awaiting tiki mugs. although the sketch suggests a scale relative to the size of the hand, we would have to work with the actual overall size and capacity to make it feasible, so i have not dimensioned the design. the inspirations are twofold, the first is obviously the kahiki sacrificial god fireplace. the second source is midcentury coffee carafes, which were often made from lab beakers or at least bear the populuxe "hourglass" shape. the hope is that the shape of the pouring top would afford a good gripping surface even if it were covered with condensation from your frosty concoctions, and even if you had already mixed a couple rounds prior to now...

R

Wow! Lots of fun entries!
Here's my Entry #1, it's based on a Birthday Card I made for my girlfriend Lynn (TC Name: LynnMcTiki).

Here are some photos of the actual mug I made to go with the card:

Hope you like it. I'll be back with entries #2 and #3 later.

[ Edited by: RanTiki 2005-11-16 17:02 ]

I'm officially entering the fray with a TC Headhunter mug, complete with an official TC loincloth. This design will present some challenges, but I expect the guys at Munktiki would be more than up for it.

F

[ Edited by: foamy 2006-11-20 08:48 ]

Here is my first entry. I love how everyone has a different way of illustrating their designs. Mine was done on the computer. It's kind of a combination of two of my favorite mugs- Munktiki's Tappo and the X eye mug from the Metairie Huki Lau.

MauiTiki

Tiki Stickers http://www.stuckonmaui.com
Sacred Grounds Hawaiian Coffee http://www.gourmet-kona-coffee.com
Hawaiian Clip art http://www.islandimages.com

[ Edited by: MauiTiki 2005-11-30 20:26 ]

I present my second entry to the competition with a mug entitled "Computer Freak", notice how this modernist cartoon tiki clutches his precious computer to his chest like how all us tiki Centralites hold Tiki Central close to our hearts, his bulging Hypno eye is is a reference to how tiki can mesmerize the tiki-Centralites. Finally see how his little body is encircled in the cable of his computer, symbolizing his entanglement in the world wide web and by extension Tiki Central, he too like us is wrapped up in tiki & tiki central.

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-05-04 07:28 ]

Here is my first entry. I really like Tiki Bob and since it is a mug that so few of us have, I thought it would be cool, with a little Munktiki twist. Have the eyes two different sizes, and in the lei it could read Tiki Central Bob.

Or in the spirit of TC...

[ Edited by: atomicchick 2005-11-22 09:03 ]

C

Make it a big mug!!

[ Edited by: capotiki 2005-11-20 18:07 ]

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 21, 2005 4:04 AM

My first entry. A human figure in a grass skirt and masquean inspired mask, holding their tiki mug (shecky perhaps?) close. Shirt could be a bowling style shirt, traditional hibiscus pattern Hawaiian shirt, or my fave, the TC background Hawaiian shirt. The mask could be given a stone or wood style effect. The side shot needs more width to it, but thats my crappy quick sketch.

An intregration of traditional tiki influences, with retro pop culture fashion giving it a contemporary feel.

This is my Bob entry.

'TC Bob'
(also known as Sabu the Coconut Bob)

[ Edited by: tikiwahine 2007-05-13 10:54 ]

Here's the clumsy photoshop and then the carving.
This could represent the TC ohana in the yin and yang, night and day, lovin and fighting, yet we all are one in TC. I have named it the Jigokudani Tiki. There are some very good designs here. Good luck to everyone.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2005-11-21 17:35 ]

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2005-12-13 21:48 ]

My second design is a Moai which uses our favorite initials along with the green background and yellow text. I call him TC Moai:

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2005-11-30 21:55 ]

F
foamy posted on Tue, Nov 22, 2005 3:36 PM

[ Edited by: foamy 2006-11-20 08:45 ]

Sorry this looks thrown together, my art program is acting up (again). there where more detailed shades and such. But anyways I'm trying the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stoopid) method, honestly I don't think you would want to see a detailed version of Tiki Central's Bilge tiki. The mug for off topic conversations and drinks.

R

Here's my second entry:

I'll be back with #3 later.

Here is my second entry. Obviously, I'm not artist so let me spell out what I was attempting to draw. The tiki is suppose to be a rarotonga type tiki. It's grin is suppose to be a keyboard, on it's ears is TC and he's holding a Shecky mug.

Here you go!
Holden

Holden Westland
Tiki Farm
"Purveyors of Polynesian Pop Culture"
http://www.tikifarm.com

[ Edited by: smogbreather 2005-11-23 13:17 ]

On 2005-11-15 06:43, freddiefreelance wrote:
I think one of the Genuine Counterfeit Reloy carvers should post one of their pieces, a`la AA:

You make the top half the part that holds the drink.

Thanks, Freddie for the nudge! Okay here's my entry then:

It's a tribute to O.A.

So many people have been inspired by Leroy Schmaltz's big tiki photo on page 242 of the BOT, that in the Creating Forum this tiki has earned the moniker "Leroy". Reproductions of it are known as "Reloys". Being an extremely nice guy, Leroy gave us all permission to make our own copies.

My mug entry is not a copy, but an exact opposite/negative of the "Leroy" design. It's called simply "Bob". Not "Tiki Bob", but "Bob" as in "Van Oosting", Leroy's partner.

Front View:

Side View:

Oblique View:

Note that the mouth isn't open like the carving - just outlined. I really like Freddie's idea, but I don't think it could be made with the mouth open. Besides, it holds more drink this way!

Think of it like the theatrical happy/sad faces. Bob is the yen to Leroy's yang so to speak. Here are some prototype carvings done a while back - "Leroy" is on the left, "Bob" on the right.

On 2004-11-11 17:55, Aaron's Akua wrote:
"Leroy & Bob"

Many impressive entries on this thread. Mahalo for letting me take part.

Cheers!

A-A

Presenting... Hootiki!

I think it explains itself.

TJ

Here are my entries.
I hope they make you laugh.

[ Edited by: Tiki Joe 2005-11-24 15:13 ]

Ok here are my first & second entries

Number one is my homage to the Ren Clark Headhunter mug, its not too
obvious but the head is resting on a bed of wood chips & the top of the mug has axe cuts where it has been severed.

back view

Number two is inspired by one of my paintings, I call this mug "the half drunk sunk"

hope you like em

BoB

Here is my entry # 1: God Offerings

Entry # 2: Happy Tiki

S
sumu posted on Sun, Nov 27, 2005 10:01 PM

I like to call him my Techie Tiki, the game boy playing, broken eye glass wearin' nebbish. If he wasn't almost nekkid, he might be wearing a pocket protector. Under his thong (er, in the back where thankfully, we can't see it just now...) he keeps his oh-so-holy I-Pod and Blackberry. Maybe tomorrow he'll move out of his mother's basement, find a girlfriend, or get some well-needed sun. An ugly mug only a mother...and 150 million other nerdlets could love.

So, pour him another grog, kick back, and link up with another Techie Tiki (you can connect each Techie mug with a cord that fits into a little indent in each mug (looks like a 'link cable'), so it looks like he's playing game boy against another Techie mug - just a thought.)

S
sumu posted on Sun, Nov 27, 2005 11:13 PM

ALERT!! Those with no sense of humor LOOK AWAY!

Anyway, as you can see, this fella looks like he can't hold his liquor. Can't hold his bladder either, cuz he's a genuine....

....Leaky Tiki. A novelty item that will slowly drip your favorite drink all over the bar. Somewhat anatomically correct, this tiki has had his fill, is achin' for relief, and needs to baptize your countertops with....well, you get the picture. Comes with a convenient skull shaped plug when you choose drink rather than drip.

OK, here's my entry, the FlaMoai Bowl!

Here's a rough top view, imagine this with the points rounded off, much like a standard three-sided Tiki bowl crossed with a Boomerang Table:

Here's a side view of the bowl without the Moai to show how I envision the shape to come out (I was able to draw the curves better here):

The top of the Moai's head will have a small declevity to hold the flaming material.

In the original dream where I saw this the depression was deeper & allowed the flame to shine through eye holes, but I don't know how easily eye holes could be cast, and I think people would put too much alcohol into there which could cause fires or crack the piece. Also, I gave the Moai a Shecky mouth 'cause I couldn't think of how to draw a regular Moai mouth, I saw it with both. And in another part of the dream I saw the Bowl separated from the Moai, and the Moai was an insert that you could put in other bowls.

For those of you who may have previously marveled at my lack of picture taking ability, you now see that this lack of ability is exceeded by my lack of ability to draw! :P

S
sumu posted on Mon, Nov 28, 2005 10:22 AM

Groggy the Tiki Mug: If you sucked down as many rum drinks as this guy, you'd be sawing logs too (although I don't recommend you get sh**faced, grab a chain saw and start carving a chunk of wood into a tiki - bad idea).

Don't let his name limit the selection of drinks you can sip from his ceramic depths - try blue kool-aid, sangria, or even straight vodka.

O

Here are my submissions for the contest. The first is "MoaiSkull", a zombie Moai with attitude, my idea was around bringing Tiki back from the dead. My other design is "Monkeybutt" he represents how Tiki turns your life upside down (in a good way). I thought it was fun how the more you tip him right-side up (with beverage) the more you become upside-down (or something like that). Cheers

L
Loki posted on Tue, Nov 29, 2005 7:06 AM

...nobody laugh...(well if you really feel the need to do so...)

The name of the mug: The Discussion Mug

After a recent wonderful debate about "what is tiki" that involved the entire TC ohana we thought what better way to deal with it than imortalizing it in ceramic and filling the sucker up with strong rum drinks....

The concept: Mug features a two sided face, one more traditional design, the other more modern. The handel will be in the shape of a question mark (?) asking you, the would be drinker, What is todays tiki? It should be painted like segments of bamboo.

Try and get over the poor art and use your imagination (rum drinks help this).

F
foamy posted on Tue, Nov 29, 2005 7:36 AM

[ Edited by: foamy 2006-11-20 08:48 ]

T

Here are a few that I did a few months ago.

I think that this first one looks good in a satin white but Munktiki's mat green and yellows are also my favorite feel and finish. Ofcousre its whatever look best.

This mug is clean with its simple lines. No extra embellishing line work or "tiki-filler" triangles. Its very much in line with the work of Paul and Stuckie. The idea is an hourglass shape. Ideal for maximum grip

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2005-11-29 08:44 ]

T

The same take on the one above, just playing with ideas. All images can be tweaked. This one is a chalice for the oh holiest of Tiki Central. Question, How many of you guys want a chalice tiki mug and don't have one. Very few in the world. I don't have one and what better way then (and I believe) Munktiki's first one. Bad photo but same idea with the hourglass but has that wide top. Maybe have some gold luster around the eyes or around the inside top. This could be one of the hottest mug to praise your tiki sanctuary.

I like this one because this little guy is having fun and has been a little slow to shave. Been on TC for too long. The hairs can be inset so not to break off.

-teaKEY

[ Edited by: teakey 2005-11-30 20:13 ]

B

[ Edited by: badmojo 2006-02-17 19:49 ]

I’ve always liked the three faced bucket mugs so I decided to make a design around that style. These mugs are solid with a wide base making them a little less prone to being knocked over (which can be handy after a night at the tiki bar). These mugs are also comfortable to hold with the faces giving a nice feel to the mug when being gripped. Additionally they are family friendly as they can handle cookies much larger than an Oreo when filled with milk.

With as much as I like the bucket mug there has always been one thing that bothered me about it; the faces on them don’t mean anything to me. Aside from the name printed on some of them they are mostly the same (aside from the few variants). My design attempts to solve this problem while building on the classic foundation of the bucket mug.

I had many choices for themes of my three faces, some of the ideas that I came up with were the modern masters (with likenesses to designs by Stuckie, Bosko and Shag) and Holy Grails (with Tiki Bob, Suffering Bastard and Steve Crane’s Warrior). While these ideas sounded good they lacked significant personal meaning and lacked originality.

I then started to think of my personal tiki journey and how I had gone from not knowing a thing about tikis to the making my own tiki magnets, being known at work as the guy with a cubical full of tikis, and entering a tiki mug design contest. Of course everyone here at Tiki Central has helped me on my way by sharing inspiring projects and much information that I would have otherwise not had so a mention of Tiki Central had to find its way onto the mug.

When I thought more about this I realized that there were three stages to my journey that may also have been shared by others on their journeys: innocence, intrigue and obsession. The innocence stage was the shortest for me, my mother was having her 50th birthday with a Hawaii/Tiki theme, she asked me if I saw anything like that at thrift stores if I would pick it up. Not quite sure what to look for I started the hunt, after about a month I found two tiki mugs they were new but (then I didn’t know that they were) I paid $1 each.

After I had got my first taste I became intrigued by the designs and decided to learn more thus entering the second stage; intrigue. I went to a book store and found The Book of Tiki and read it straight through. I had no idea that tiki had such breadth. From here I continued to read and learn and hunt for tiki treasures.

Somewhere at this time between intrigue and obsession I found Tiki Central. In no time I was carving small tikis out of clay and casting them into magnets as party favors for my mom’s birthday and learning about different kinds of rum. After my mom’s party (I had given her most of my mugs for the party but kept a few) I felt that this was more than something that I had just done for my mom, it was something that I really enjoyed. I started ordering mugs online and hitting the thrift stores with renewed energy.

I had entered the next stage of tiki collecting, obsession. While it hasn’t quite taken over my house (yet) it does have a firm hold in my kitchen and my cubicle at work.

Not being an artist I had some trouble conveying the three stages on paper, What I ended up doing was to take various pictures of myself in the mirror and base the faces loosely on those. Improvements on the faces to better convey what I was trying to do may be in order. I apologize for the poor images but I am without a scanner, should have done them all in ink though. I placed the words Tiki Central on the mug between intrigue and obsession as that’s where TC and all of the wonderful people here came into my journey.

I hope that you enjoy the idea of the mug and that you enjoyed the story of my tiki journey as much as I enjoyed telling it through the design of this mug.

Aloha everyone out there in the world of tiki. My name is Javier, and I am a graphic artist, and a bartender at the Rendezvous Tiki Loungs in Kenosha, WI. The owners, and co-workers told me about the contest and thought it would be a good piece for my portfolio that I'm building to get into a graphics college. Hope you enjoy my work. Bottoms up!

B

You have to use your visual imagination for my entry since I can't even draw stick people. My Tiki Central mug would have several tikis on it, some talking some carving or painting, one on the computer, maybe one at a tiki bar. I don't know if it is doable, but it would look like a day in the life of tiki Central whereall the peeps interact with each other and they would all be tikis.
Does this count?
Here is a stick figure drawing,, I TOLD you I couldn't draw.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2005-11-29 16:52 ]

Pages: 1 2 82 replies