Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Mr. & Mrs. T's Mai Tai mix

Pages: 1 1 replies

D

I just found this stuff today. First time ever finding Mai Tai mix in any supermarkets here in NYC (see the posting at http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=14237&forum=10&16 )

I just tried a Mai Tai using only this mix and 1 1/2 ounces as it states on the bottle and it's probably one of the best home made Polynesian drinks I have had. Better than any Mai Tai that I have made from scratch, and probably the closest to the taste of a Mai Kai Mai Tai IMHO. After trying a small variety of different Mai Tai recipes this one is the best. I also did a taste test between Mr. & Mrs. T's and Trader Vic's without rum, and as faithful as I am to the legacy of Vic's, Mr. & Mrs. T's wins. I've found that the TV's mix has a chalky flavor. I thought that 'chalkiness' was coming fromm the vanilla syrup I was using when I mixed one of the Mai Tai recipes from 'Tiki Road Trip', but after doing the 'raw' taste test of the mixes, I realized where it was coming from. I just hope that the Food Emporium supermarket that I found this at continues to stock it. I wouldn't be surprised if they were at the end of a 'summer only' product and I'm just buying the last of it. The other cool thing about Mr. & Mrs. T's Mai Tai is that, to put it simply, it's a mixer for lazy people, and recently I have gotten pretty lazy with my drink mixing. That, and there's no space in here to do any real bar stocking. What can I say, it's a New York apartment. Space is at a minimum. :drink:

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2005-10-31 18:54 ]

I've never tried their Mai Tai mix mix before, but I am a big fan of their (Mr. & Mrs. T's) Margarita mix. So much so that have a case of it in the garage.

With any store bought mix, I always add a little more of the "real" ingredients when making a drink.

IE: Mai Tai using TV's mix, I add a little orgeat and orange curacao. Damn fine beverage.

For the Margarita mix I add at least one whole lime and either Grand Mariner, Licor 43, Almendrado, or Damiana.

Since you have made such a fine recomendation, I'll have to pick up a bottle next time I'm at the market.

-T.J.

Pages: 1 1 replies