Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Aloha John's Tiki Lounge is done! -updated pics 3/6/08-

Pages: 1 38 replies

Hey all. I'm new here and I thought you might like to see some pics of my patio/lounge. It is a work in progress. I also threw in some more pics so you all can get to know me a little bit.

I picked up this guy from Oceanic Arts:

Pre-tiki, showing more of the overhead stuff:

This area is destined to be a small shady tropical garden with flagstone walkway. The tree trunk you see there is a large flowering pear that blocks out all direct sunlight. I'm open to plant suggestions too. I have very sandy soil here.

This is the side of my garage. I've got a TV hidden behind that window. It's swivels so I can watch the tube from inside the garage while I'm working, or from the lounge while we're relaxing.

This is the side entrance to my house. The security door needs to go! The small tiki on the step to the left of the door is one I bought from a small "craft fair type thing" on Maui. The Mr Bali Hai on the wall is by Reido. I bought it on Ebay.

I am also into 50's & 60's style custom cars and hot rods. These are the 2 that I have that you folks may appreciate. The first is my '67 Econoline van. This will eventually have the classic 60's style van look; Cragar S.S.'s, nice rake, and side pipes...and seaweed flames and lots of tiki/surf stickers on the windows. The interior will have grass matting covered side panels, thatching "headliner", bamboo shades, etc ,etc.

This is my '48 Willys CJ2a. Not at all tiki, but some of you may dig it. It may get a thatched "bikini-top".

Hopefully I haven't gotten too off the topic with my 2nd post....but I couldn't think of a better way for you guys to learn a little bit about me other than sharing some pics...hope you guys enjoy them.

John

[ Edited by: Aloha John 2007-06-23 17:19 ]

[ Edited by: Aloha John 2008-03-06 22:34 ]

Welcome aboard ...

Very nice start to your lounge/patio...and those rides are awesome. The van reminds me of one that the pinstriper Barnett used to own and what is it that I see parked behind the willy's?

Thanks for the compliments. Yeah that is the same style Econo as the one Barnett had, except his was the extended panel version, but his flamejob was right on the money, as is most of his stuff I've seen.

Behind the Willys is a '31 Model A street rod, that belongs to my dad and I. And under the tarp is a '59 F100.

On 2005-10-31 23:15, Berdoo John wrote:

Behind the Willys is a '31 Model A street rod.

Droool ....

That´s what i call a nice lounge... thanks for posting

AJ

Thanks guys.

Rodeo: here's a better pic of the Model A for ya, in front of my house with my girlfriends '60 Buick.

And back on topic, here's another pic in the lounge. I bought all the matting, the cork floats, and the bamboo from Oceanic Arts....I love that place!!

And lastly...

E

looks real nice! welcome, glad to have you with us.

very nice Model A Mmmmmmmm

B

Welcome BerdooJohn,
really nice Stuff you have there. Love the cars too. The last tiki pic is Awesome, who is the carver?
Come on in and stay awhile.

T

Great looking house John.

Nice to have another 909er around.

Welcome to TC.

Kate

Berdoo John -- you are a "natural."

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Nov 1, 2005 6:32 PM

Dang dude! I need to hang at your place!

-Gman

I love your ceiling treatment - the more stuff the merrier!

great looking place, thanks for sharing and keep us updated - we love to look

that model A takes the cake for me.

AJ

Thanks for all the compliments!

Benzart: I wish I knew who the carver was....his stuff was incredible. I bought that tiki on Maui about 5 years ago.

John

H
hewey posted on Tue, Nov 1, 2005 9:44 PM

Awesome dude! Love all the tiki stuff, love all the hot rod stuff!

Welcome to TC, your gonna fit right in :)

Welcome, like the model A. Building a couple mee self.

Well I've come along with the lounge since those earlier pics, thanks in part to the inspiration and talented artists I've found here on TC. I thought you'd all like to see an update. I still have a few things to paint and/or varnish but this is as "done" as it'll be for a while. This is basically a 360 degree tour. I hope you enjoy it...I sure do! :wink:

I have made some MAJOR changes in the backyard too...but you'll have to wait a little while longer to see those. :wink:

Oh and due to the response from the car pics I posted before here's an update- I had to sell the van (too many projects) but the Model A is getting painted right now...

Uh oh, hmmmmm...I don't know why this is "tiki carving" forum now. Oh well.

[ Edited by: Aloha John 2007-06-23 17:22 ]

B

Hey man, fantastic tiki lounge you're showing here, makes us feel we're in big island.

Benjamin.

Very nice collection of carvings. Congratulations on a great island escape.

K

Nice place, and nice color on the Rod... what kinda paint is that anyway?

Lounge looks good Aloha Jon! Thanks again for picking up one of my Tangaroa masks... looks good in there!

Thanks for the compliments.

Lake Surfer- I'd sure like to get some more of your carvings! That dutch door I have your mask on still needs "something" to showcase it better, like matting and bamboo. I'd like to get rid of as much of the white as a I can.

I still need to paint the window grid and varnish that bamboo trim so it matches the Bamboo Ben bar.

I have consided laying down some outdoor carpet too. It'd be easier to clean. As it is now I have to use my shop vac and suck between all the bricks. But when we get a heavy rain, water does creep into the lounge between the bricks so I'm worried it wouldn't dry under the carpet and get moldy? And I'd hate to have to remove all the furniture to pull the carpet out to dry.

I finally put my old computer speakers in the bar so now I just plug in my ipod shuffle with the exotica playlist and lean back with a mai tai...oh man it's nice.

As for the sedan- the color is Ford Toreador Red. That color was actually an "Oops". The color was supposed to be Dark Toreador Red and when the shop ordered the paint he accidently left out the work "dark". But it looks so nice we said let's leave it. It was supposed to match the wheels.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jun 25, 2007 7:13 PM

The rod is looking great :D :D Nice bar area too, I spy a few pieces from various TCers in there too :D

M

Great space! I have one dumb question: How much overhead space is there between the blades of the fan and say a 6 foot man's head? This is an issue I've been wrestling with for two spaces at my house.

Thanks Hewey. Yes I'm proud to have all those TCer created pieces on my walls. :) And I want more! Soon I'll need more stuff for the walls as I make my way around the back of the garage and start the bar out in the yard.

mzoltarp- I am 6'4" and the fan blades are at 6'10". But my fan is over the table so there's less chance for flailing arms getting into them. Before the table was there I had walked under it and with the 6" clearance I didn't have the feeling I needed to duck.

Oh look there's me now enjoying another mai tai and the company of my tiki. :wink:

Nice place, John! The folks down at the Hanalei will be mighty pissed when they find their tiki missing. :wink:

A-A

Great space! Really nice job! I'd love to have my space looking like that!

Aloha TCers...my Tiki Lounge is done! Well at least the white wall and dutch door are now burried under matting. And all my varnishing is finished. I suppose as long as you guys keep whipping up cool stuff it'll never be done, right? Not too many new pieces in these pics, other than the outrigger lamp (that I still have not repaired), Bartiki barstools, Lake Surfer skulls, Monkeyman lamp, and a bunch more glass floats, but lots of rearranging. Wow I can't believe how different it looks from those first pics I posted!

I hope the rest of you don't mind by I thought I'd sneak in a quick Model A update for the car guys, it's done too!

In my driveway-

Upholstery-

In front of my house-

Magazine photo shoot just up Hwy 18 from Berdoo.

I am sooooo happy with the way it turned out. This has been a 4 year long project.

-Aloha John

[ Edited by: Aloha John 2008-03-07 07:50 ]

Is the Jeep gonna get the same treatment?

( poor jeep. left in the dust. )

S

Great looking rod! Are you going to be at the Temecula Rod Run this upcoming weekend?

John,

The lounge and the car all look great! Your collection of TC artists is really cool. Thanks again for all your support of my work!
Make yourself a drink and enjoy!

What Ben no love for the covering of the last of the white walls? :wink: "Is the Jeep gonna get the same treatment" as.....the lounge or the Model A? Hopefully a combination of both!! It IS neglected, along with the rest of my car projects, but I only have 2 hands...

No Rod Run for me this weekend, but thanks for the compliment!

Thanks Lake Surfer! The two other pieces of yours have been moved out to a special spot in my Kapu Cove. Pics coming veeeerrrry soon of my yard, aka Aloha John's Exotic Village.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Mar 7, 2008 12:03 AM

Both the tudor and the bar are looking very sweet - both spot on in the looks department! :D :D

John - amazing work on your lounge, it looks VERY nice. That model A is a real cherry too, it must be a blast to drive.

can't wait to see your backyard photos!

what year is the jeep?

TT

Aloha...err..Aloha..
Great looking area with some very nice carvings etc.. oh and the A- model looks sweet too!

T

Wow I don't know which I like best. Let's say both!! Hot Rods & Tiki Lounges take way too long to build. I'm 6 years into my car & just starting our backyard & patio. Both of yours are sweet, but are they ever really done?

John,

Your space looks great and so does your rod!

"Aloha John's Tiki Lounge is done! "

never...........

trust me.

just on vacation.

:wink:

P

Nice looking spot there John! Nice to see a tiki lounge right down the way from mine.

Pages: 1 38 replies