Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

WAITIKI's Space Kadet - Abe Lagrimas Jr plays the Catalina Jazz Club (Los Angeles, CA) on 11/1/05!

Pages: 1 4 replies

Aloha TC tikiphiles and WAITIKI fans!

Just wanted to let you know about a very special event happening tomorrow evening in Los Angeles, CA.

Abe Lagrimas Jr. (known to the Villagers of Okonkuluku as "The Space Kadet") makes his solo jazz ukulele debut tomorrow, November 1st, at the Catalina Jazz Club in Los Angeles.

The show also serves as the CD Release Party for his solo jazz ukulele album entitled Dimensions.

WHEN: Tuesday, November 1 at 8:30pm
WHERE: Catalina Jazz Club
6725 W. Sunset Blvd.,
Hollywood, CA 90028
Tel: (323) 466-2210
www.catalinajazzclub.com
TIX: $10

For those of you not familiar with Abe, he is definitely a player to watch. All bias aside (we have been friends since tenth grade), Abe is a very talented musician. In WAITIKI he is our drummer and percussionist, though some of you may have also seen him perform a bit on vibes if you caught our Martin Denny Tribute Show at the Mai Kai or at this summer's Hawaii International Jazz Festival. He also frequently plays vibes for the DON TIKI band, and recorded some of the drum tracks on the DON TIKI disc "Skinny Dip with Don Tiki" ...

Abe began playing uke just a few months before we founded WAITIKI together, and has since been featured at last May's Filipino-American Jazz Festival, this summer's Hawaii International Jazz Festival, and with the progressive Hawaiian jam band AKAMAI BRAIN COLLECTIVE, with whom he released an album. His mainstay however, is as a jazz drummer; while behind the drums, he has performed with saxophonist Eric Marienthal, guitarist Larry Coryell, trumpeter Makoto Ozone, and others.

His current projects include WAITIKI and PRELUDE, a jazz sextet based in Seoul, Korea whose upcoming release Croissant is signed to Sony Korea.

Please go and see him, you won't regret it!

Oh yeah, more info is available on his website abrahamlagrimasjr.com or on his MySpace page: www.myspace.com/abelagrimasjr.

Be sure to yell OKONKULUKU!!!!!!!!

P.S. - If any of you have the WAITIKI album Charred Mammal Flesh, Abe's uke playing makes a cameo on one of my original tunes, "Merry Adventures of the Sleepy Space Kadet" ... check it out! =)

WAITIKI: Exotic Tiki Entertainment From Polynesia & Beyond
Videos, MP3s, and More at http://www.waitiki.com

[ Edited by: professahhummingflowah 2005-10-31 22:57 ]

P
pablus posted on Tue, Nov 1, 2005 5:55 AM

A new CD?
Oboyoboyoboy.

When can we get one?
I really like the ABC disc.
Abe's uke stylings escape the "chuka-chuka" style that seems to be a crutch (albeit made of koa) for most of us haole players.

Good luck with the show!
Wish I could be there.

HK

Good luck, Abe! When can we hear some? I'm sure it's great stuff!

Josh
http://www.whollycatsband.com

W

Hi Profesa, Tell Abe I hope the show goes well and if he needs a Uke to let me know (insert chuckle here) I left a comment on your website and hope things are going well for all of you. If you find yourself down this way don't forget to let us know and if we aren't on the road we'll hang out !!! Say Hi to the rest of the Cats for me....

Aloha
Joe/Haole Kats

Yo...

Hey Josh & Joe, I'll pass your kind words along to Abe!

Pablus - glad you dig the ABC album. I'll let you guys know where Abe's new disc will be sold. ... I actually don't yet have a copy myself!

-Randy

Pages: 1 4 replies