Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

pearl of wisdom on eBay

Pages: 1 14 replies

buy it now for $100. somebody go get it! (it's not my auction, btw, just sharing the treasure)

linky link

nevermind...it has a bid now so the B-I-N went away. oh well!

B

That is a pretty cool print. The image seems to change depending on what angle one is looking at it. You have to see all the different pictures to appreciate it.

thanks for the info, im winning right now, but with 6 days left, i highly doubt ill get it....i stare at this painting every time i go to hala kahiki.......an absolute favorite of ours!

"The work 'The Pearl of Wisdom' was the most popular. It featured a Mayan god holding a bowl of light."

("Mayan"! giggle :))

"Original oil paintings by August Holland sell for thousands of dollars, but framed prints like the examples below probably sold for between $100 and $1,000 when sold in stores and galleries."

( :lol: Huge guffaw! :lol:)

Somehow, I doubt Sears was selling these for hundreds or a thousand dollars in the '60's.

.....But maybe I'm way off and too deeply cynical? Anyone have an old Sears catalogue to see what the going price actuallywas? I'd love to know.

Happy with my $3 P.o.W.,
F

On 2005-11-01 16:56, Formikahini wrote:

Happy with my $3 P.o.W.,

$3???

I've been scammed. I paid $15 ! that's a 500% mark-up. :wink:

(it was the only treasure ever found at the one Salvation Army by my old job, but it keeps me going back even though I come up empty handed every week)

-Z

K
Kono posted on Tue, Nov 1, 2005 5:58 PM

On 2005-11-01 16:56, Formikahini wrote:
Happy with my $3 P.o.W.,

$7.99 at Goodwill!

One of my best "in the wild" finds ever. :D

B

The nice thing is, there will probably be a whole bunch of these on Ebay very soon. That is if the price is as inflated as previous posts suggest. I know I would never find one in the wild, so that is all I can hope for. I did find some Gold Bond stamps at my mother's house, I wonder if someone would like to trade.

Formikahini and Kono (not to mention Basement Kahuna - what, does he have like 14 PoWs now??? heh) - yall are lucky!!!

i finally got one recently, but the price was more than $7.99 :(

oh well! sometimes cool ain't cheap!

I passed one up at Value Village for 10 bucks before I knew all the cool kids had one.

I regret everything.

K
Kenike posted on Wed, Nov 2, 2005 2:48 PM

I bid $85.00 on one a few weeks ago but didn't win (and spent the money on something else) I REALLY want this print...the best I can do at Goodwill in the Dallas area is paintings of matadors. There's no shortage of those 'round these here parts.

F
foamy posted on Sat, Nov 5, 2005 6:10 AM

When I was a kid my Aunt and Uncle had a place at the beach. Looking back at it now, it was pretty tiki'd up. Fish nets, glass floats, sea shells and the main attraction: "The Pearl of Wisdom". I recall staring at and studying the print in quiet moments. And now I almost know.

What have they been going for on ebay? Ballpark figure.

Oh, and Heel Grinder (nice name), I dig your site and your work.

[ Edited by: foamy 2005-11-05 06:12 ]

8T

Formikahini said earlier:

Somehow, I doubt Sears was selling these for hundreds or a thousand dollars in the '60's.

.....But maybe I'm way off and too deeply cynical? Anyone have an old Sears catalogue to see what the going price actuallywas? I'd love to know.

I think this should satisfy your curiosity. It is the label from the back of the print. This was posted some time ago by Tikijackalope.

"Original oil paintings by August Holland sell for thousands of dollars, but framed prints like the examples below probably sold for between $100 and $1,000 when sold in stores and galleries."

( :lol: Huge guffaw! :lol:)

Actually, this text came from the August Holland website, though not exactly accurate!

And... see pictures of the two other paintings from the "Tiki" series there! I have two out of the three... I've never seen the "Drums" print in person though.

Thanks 8ft and tikijackalope!

Somehow, $14.99 sounds a LOT more like it!

And I'm guessing. traderpup, that the prints worth $1000 weren't the tiki prints? :wink:
'Course, we might fight among ourselves for the red (rare) one!!

Pages: 1 14 replies