Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

easter island statues are deteriorating

Pages: 1 15 replies

in this months national geographic magazine is a small article on the dire state of the famous heads of easter island. time, the elements and mankind are destroying them at a rapid pace and there isn't a thing anyone can do to save them now......they were fun while they lasted!!

...there isn't a thing anyone can do to save them now......

... bondo...

does National Geographic ever report on anything good anymore? their articles are always depressing

poor moai

H

Does the article make any reference to the German and Japanese projects to minimize deterioration?

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=6130&forum=1&start=0

Yeah, those pyramids are gonna be gone in a coupla years too.

I dunno, the Acropolis got better.

At least, so they say :wink:.

(For many years, every time I would travel to a Famous Tourist Attraction, it would be covered in scaffolding and drapes and various construction-type thingys. I've never actually had an unobstructed view of the Statue of Liberty, Big Ben, the Parthenon, etc. etc. There are lots more I can't even recall at the moment. After a while it started to get pretty funny.

I am sure that if I went to Rapa Nui, no doubt all the statues would be "temporarily removed for cleaning and reconstruction" just for the duration of my visit!)

H

On 2005-11-03 11:09, dangergirl299 wrote:
does National Geographic ever report on anything good anymore? their articles are always depressing

Bad news sells better.

K

Easter Island detoriation - Norwegian Resurrection:

The Heyerdahl Institute wants to erect three 50 feet Moais overlooking the fjord outside Thor Heyerdahls hometown Larvik. The plan has been presented to elected representatives in the Culture and Tourism Board, the director of the institute tells the local newspaper. According to Bjørge the response was very good.
Until now, a small bust at Tollerodden is the only visible sign that Larvik is Heyerdahls hometown. (NRK)

A

On 2005-11-03 10:32, alohabros wrote:

...there isn't a thing anyone can do to save them now......

... bondo...

...and duct tape...

... macgyver can save them...

On 2005-11-04 05:38, Kong-Tiki wrote:
Easter Island detoriation - Norwegian Resurrection:

The Heyerdahl Institute wants to erect three 50 feet Moais overlooking the fjord outside Thor Heyerdahls hometown Larvik. The plan has been presented to elected representatives in the Culture and Tourism Board, the director of the institute tells the local newspaper. According to Bjørge the response was very good.
Until now, a small bust at Tollerodden is the only visible sign that Larvik is Heyerdahls hometown. (NRK)

But will the Moai walk there?

H

I'll donate a quart of Spar Urethane.

How about Crazy Glue? If it can hold a midget wearing a helmet to an I-beam, it should be able to repair a moai...

as a side note, the "today" show with matt laur featured matt broadcasting live from easter island, again, talking about the statues, their history and ultimate demise......

E
eel posted on Mon, Nov 7, 2005 8:07 AM

I was just going to post about the Today show. It is part of the "Where in the World is Matt Lauer" and they talked about on-going efforts to save the Moai, including a few that have been restored and moved.

J
JonPez posted on Mon, Nov 7, 2005 4:40 PM

They could move a few to my back yard for preservation. I'll take care of 'em.
Yeah, like my neighbors would appreciate having those suckers looking over the fence...

Pages: 1 15 replies