Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mai Kai fan project

Pages: 1 5 replies

S

I started this a while ago and I am revisiting it and working to get it done in early 2006 for the 50th anniversary. I plan to put together all I can abou tthe Mai Kai's history in one place.

I started today with the postcards. Click here to see what I have so far, and if you can add to or help. please let me know.

In the coming weeks I plan to get more sections ready and post here for more input and help. I want to have images of every piece of ephemera ever to come from the Mai Kai, date it as well as possible and document it as well, i.e. Who are the people in the pictures, etc.

It's a huge project and it will evolve for years to come, but we can start it in a huge way and put it out to the world and see what else comes in.

Mahalo!

I have a bunch of pics from the Hukilau 05 at Mai Kai. I'd be happy to send them along to you - on cd would be best. Inside and out shots a few with people but mostly just the "stuff". I'm sure most people have the same shots but these were very high quality shots on an SLR camera digital camera. Your are welcome to them all! Even some mystery drink dancer shots!

PM me an address and I'll get you a cd to you!

I have a friend who's wife works at Johnson & Wales College. Didn't somebody say they have the biggest menu collection in the Universe? If there are Mai Kai menus MIA, this would be my excuse to follow that lead. Plus, who knows, I might bump into another menu or two.

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Nov 9, 2005 7:18 AM

I have posted the postcards that I have received. Is this complete? We'll see I guess. I got cards I had never seen before. Maybe more will surface over time.

I am going to try to get the mugs updated in the next couple of days and I'll post that link here and we'll see what mugs are out there in your collections to add to the site.

Hey Swanky-

Postcard #10, second girl from left (in red) is Louise, my 60's era MaiKai dancer neighbor (also Kern's mom and sister of the owner)

she may know some of the girls as well

[ Edited by: fatuhiva 2005-12-30 23:38 ]

S

Wow. I met her a couple of years ago. An amazing woman. What a constitution! She had way more to drink than any of us that night and was having a good time with ohana at the Mai Kai, and Kern says she was up before everyone the next morning cooking breakfast! What a family!

Pages: 1 5 replies