Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Kon Tiki PGH swizzle stick

Pages: 1 6 replies

Ok so I have a knack for finding local Tiki stuff, now to follow up with a national forum..
Has anyone else turned up anything from the Kon Tiki located here in PGH? I found a Swizzle stick from there and am going to be running an urban archeology mission this sunday to try and find what if anything is left.. Apparently the hotel still exsists, and is a cheap and sleazy place.. will let you know what I find there...

TD

i have a boat load of stuff from the KON-TIKI CLEVELAND. I do not know if they are related though.

T

On 2005-11-04 07:45, TIKI DAVID wrote:
I do not know if they are related though.

Kon Tiki was a chain, owned by Stephen Crane.

They're all gone.

Lots more info in BOT and TRT.

D

Was the Tucson, AZ Kon Tiki part of the chain? I have a very early mug from there that reads "Kim's Kon Tiki".

The Kon Tiki here in Tucson was not part of the Kon Tiki chain. It was started by some local restauranteurs. I believe Mr. Kim was the second or third owner, I think in the 70's and 80's but I could be wrong about that part.

Thanks all unfortunatly The PGH local seems lost to collective memory... I am aware of the Kon Tiki in AZ, and Tiki Davids stash of goodies, but am looking to turn up anything on the pgh location.. I am not sure if it was part of the Stephen crane network or not, but am working on it.
Hey JT do you have any further info on the PGH local, I didnt see mention of it in the TRT....
Lemme know
Rustbeltcat
Von Yinzer of the FOM

Ok quick report..
NOTHING... some touches left on the outside of the sports bar...not much tho.. could see what appeared to be the remnants of a lava rock wall just inside the glass door.. had some interesting glass block in the wall on the outside.. there was an upstairse banquet room that had the doors boarded over with 2x4s.. the mangement of the hotel was eastern indian, and said he knew nothing (through glass that was like 2 inches thick)... might have to try and go up there when the bar is open. kinda skethcy area tho.. I dont know if there is any other acces to the upstairs "Banquet room".. for the most part a wasted trek.. am going to go out that way agin some saturday and seek out some thrift stores in the area...
That is all..

Pages: 1 6 replies