Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Red Wing Pottery Tiki (not purchased...yet)

Pages: 1 9 replies

D

i found this Tiki Ashtray Holder (there's a smoke glass ashtray on the top of his head) ~ its about 14" high, and marked on the bottom "Red Wing" ~ anyone have info on the manufacturer? i think its incredibly overpriced, at $125 ~

(sorry the pic is crummy, its my from cellphone!)

C

sounds like a lot of money but the red wing collectors have
pockets that are a lot deeper than tiki collectors. The
Red Wing company was based in Red Wing Minnesota and
created "jugs" that are pretty collectible...didn't
know they did tikis butI assume this is the same
company. I have a good friend and vehicle customer
that is the big cheese of the national red wing collectors
association.

Red Wing Pottery
Red Wing Collectors Blog

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-15 15:18 ]

I saw that tiki in a black satin glaze come up on eBay over a year ago, well-hidden (not labelled as tiki in any way). It had a fairly high reserve and I didn't meet it, even though I was the high bidder. I e-mailed the seller afterwards, saying I might be willing to meet his reserve, but never got a reply. One of my tiki regrets.

Red Wing potteries also manufactured the Trader Vic's Black Coffee Grog mug as well as a set of dishes I have called "Tampico".

Sabu

K
Kono posted on Sun, Nov 6, 2005 8:22 AM

This one recently ended on ebay for $33:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7720844688

It appears to be the same one.

D

thanks for the info guys! i didnt take pix of the underside, but as i remember, it was not imprinted like that ebay auction, but rather ~ etched by hand.. but definitely the same mold.

i'm gonna pass on this one.. i just dont love it enough for it to take up shelf space.. but if one of you wants it, email me and i'll tell you the antique mall where it's located.

HL

A couple of weeks ago I posted about discovering that Red Wing also made Trader Vics skull mugs and cocoanut mugs, but somehow the thread died off before anyone could respond.

I have pictures posted from a book showing them.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=7887&forum=5&start=15&16

I just spotted one of these Red Wing Ku figures at an antique mall in Red Wing, Minnesota. It was priced at $195. I thought the dealer must've been smoking crack to be asking so much for it, so I left it behind.

That's a case of geography increasing the price MrBaliHai. There's a nice antique shop in what used to be the Red wing factory. I've spotted multiple of their Trader Vic's fog cutter mugs there for around $80, simply because they are Red Wing pottery. Way over priced! Sadly, the Red Wing Pottery 'museum' in the same building doesn't have any of their tiki related products.

On 2008-06-22 12:32, MNZombie wrote:
That's a case of geography increasing the price MrBaliHai. There's a nice antique shop in what used to be the Red wing factory. I've spotted multiple of their Trader Vic's fog cutter mugs there for around $80, simply because they are Red Wing pottery. Way over priced! Sadly, the Red Wing Pottery 'museum' in the same building doesn't have any of their tiki related products.

That's the same antique store where I spotted the Ku figure. The fogcutter mug is now marked up to $95, and there was a TV coffee grog mug for $68. Apparently, some dumbasses must be buying them at that price, otherwise they wouldn't be going up.

Pages: 1 9 replies