Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Robert Drasnin performance at Hukilau on DVD?

Pages: 1 6 replies

Is there any word on whether the Robert Drasnin performance which was video taped at Hukilau 05 will ever be available to the public?

K
Kenike posted on Sun, Nov 6, 2005 5:50 AM

Based on what I've heard it's very doubtful. There's some info here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16913&forum=11&11

The only thing I could find on that thread was this:

On 2005-10-18 09:47, tikibars wrote:
Although there was an announcment made about recording, that didn't end up happening. Our pal Nik did shoot some video, and has whatever audio his video camera's mic picked up, but there is no official, release-quality recording.

That subject seemed to be more about "sound" recording than video. It's unfortunate that they were not able to capture "quality" sound but the camera looked like a Sony HDR-FX1 which is supposed to have very good sound capabilities. This coupled with the camera location (center) and a silent crowd I would think would make for pretty acceptable audio. It appeared to me (sitting right beside the camera) that the entire concert was captured and I for one would be happy with a DVD with the sound as is.

T

Both Nik and Jeff Chenault shot video.

But IF the sound quality off of the room mic is acceptible, there are still legal and copyright issues involved in releasing the recording.

The publisher of the songs would want their cut, the musicians (many of whom were union players) would need a contract and might request payment, and Mr. Drasnin would probably require that the distribution be through a legit source... perhaps Dioysis records for example.

I have no say in the matter, and no control over these issues, I am just pointing out some potential hurdles to overcome with an 'official' release. I've been talking to Mr. Drasnin, and he hasn't mentioned any plans to release the video. But after he sees/hears anything that Jeff or Nik might assemble, perhaps he'll get excited enough to want to do something. I can't say, really.

Now: as for Voodoo II - Mr. Drasnin and I have been talking on the phone about it, and there is some interesting news, which I will bring up in another thread.

James is right! There are a lot of hurdles to overcome before something like this can be released to the public. I can say that the video that I shot, while not professional, did come out fairly well. I am in the process now of transferring this to DVD. If all goes well we could see this out by next year at the earliest. Lots of legal issues to contend with though as mentioned. I would like to know how Nik's video came out. Anyone know how to contact him?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T

On 2005-11-07 05:48, Jeff Central wrote:
I would like to know how Nik's video came out. Anyone know how to contact him?

Nik was the fella shooting pro-quality video all weekend. Christie will know how to reach him. You guys should definitely share footage, and edit it together for a two-camera-shoot effect...

Um... I'm pretty easy to find.
I've been a bit on the swamped side lately and the hurricane hasn't helped. I've not had the chance to log much footage I'll put some time aside to go over the Drasnin tape ASAP.

I'm also wary of the legal issues with this as well, after all this isn't just a hobby it's my profession.

Having said that, in the back of my head I've got a concept of what could work. I know that there were a few cameras rolling, including a GL2. (professional Cannon camera) There were also countless photos taken. (If you saw the Martin Denny Tribute video I edited you may have noticed how much of the "Denny portion" was based on still images. I just moved the viewing window of each still and intercut it with moving shots.) All of this put together could conceivably amount to something.

I'm more than willing to discuss this further. Keep in mind I'm currently shooting a long-format documentary which is my primary project and at times it takes literally all of my time at times.

-Nik

Jeff: shot you a PM

Pages: 1 6 replies