Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Rum Runner

Pages: 1 3 replies

A

From Oct 23 NY Times about the restaurant/bar Cookshop:
"I recommend the Rum Runner, which is a mojito with maple syrup. With Vermont and Havana each represented in its recipe, it makes a comic case for a tropical drink that can be enjoyed in the dead of winter: like Desi Arnaz marrying Lucille Ball and moving her to the country to tap trees.
It has the suavity and surprise of the best entertainment, which America, in the last three years, seems to have discovered can be found in a cocktail."

1.5 oz light rum
1 oz maple syrup
.5 oz fresh lime
splash of seltzer
Lime slice

In a highball glass filled with ice, add rum, maple syrup and lime juice. Stir, top off with seltzer, and garnish with a slice of lime.

T

Since when has the rum runner been "a mojito with maple syrup"? The real rum runner is a mixture of 151 rum, blackberry brandy, creme de banana, grenadine, and lime juice. It was invented at the Holiday Isle Resort in Islamorada, Florida.

So much for "the paper of record"! (the NY Times' slogan)

J
JTD posted on Tue, Nov 8, 2005 6:07 PM

Jayson Blair must be back on the job.

The Rum Runner is probably the second most bastardized drink to the Mai Tai... Unless you are visiting a place you can trust, (I.E. a Tiki bar by the authentic definition) I wouldn't go there...

Pages: 1 3 replies