Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Doubravsky AAC - progress update 11-15

Pages: 1 11 replies

Got a piece of AAC (thanks AA) and when the chainsaw went dead started playing yesterday. This stuff is FUN!!!! Here's progress so far...

I'm going to keep this one simple and maybe use as a behavior trophy for the kids at my school. Question.. I want to put some sort of inscription on the base at the front. Should I carve it in/paint it black, or make one and try to attach it? Will glue stick to the AAC? Anyone have some ideas?

[ Edited by: doubravsky 2005-11-15 21:59 ]

doubravsky-
Great Job on your first AAC block!
I have 3 blocks stored away. As soon as this house project is complete I'm there.
wes

H
hewey posted on Tue, Nov 8, 2005 5:01 AM

Cool AAC piece. Might be hard to inscribe into the base with fine detail. Perhaps a plaque screwed into it? Im not sure if this would work.

if you have a dremel or similar tool, you can do some carved lettering in it, although i'd practice on a scrap piece first, since the bit tends to jump around. i carved a bunch of tombstone inscriptions on AAC for halloween decorations. first, letter your inscription with a carpenter's pencil to get your spacing right, then using the drywall bit, you can carve out a basic outline of the letters, then go back over the initial cuts with a cone-shaped stone grinding bit to give them depth and it cleans up the lines as well.

have fun!

Moon... thanks! it was fun to do. Get on it!

Hewey.. thanks. I wonder if a screw would hold, or if the would just flake?

Palama... I'll test that out on some scrap... thanks!

I also think I should attach some rubber, felt or carpet to the bottom to prevent scratching desks, etc. What glue should I use that might work? Contact cement? wood glue? Super glue?

although the AAC mfg. says that you can use fastening systems in the AAC, a friend of mine who installs fire suppression systems said that screws tend to come loose in AAC. i've never tried it, though.

also, if you want to apply a protective cover to the bottom, get some felt at a craft store or Walmart, and a can of 3M® Super 77 Spray Adhesive. cut the felt to the shape of the bottom of the sculpture, then spray it with the adhesive, then press the sculpture down onto the felt and hold in place for the recommended time. that has done the trick for me.

make sure that you cover the spray area, so that you don't get the glue on unintended areas.

Hey, nice Moai! Once you hose it down with some concrete sealer, glued on felt should stick just fine. I usually put those stick-on rubber thing-a-mabobs on the bottom of my tikis if they will be staying in the house.

Aaron... thanks! Welcome back, how was Hawaii? I'm offto Phoenix for a wedding, so I'm gonna pick up a pallet of AAC for the drive back.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Nov 13, 2005 2:03 PM

On 2005-11-13 07:26, doubravsky wrote:
I'm gonna pick up a pallet of AAC for the drive back.

I dont know if I would reccomend carving and driving at the same time...

:)

B

I guess you found the ACC fun to carve? Your first piece in it looks great. A whole Pallet? Fun fun. Post all the pic's.

Ben... it was fun! I enjoyed carving it.. and I wanted to carve something before this weekend since I was gonna be in Phoenix and wasn't sure if I would want more.. A pallet was 16 24x12x8 pieces... filled up the Trailblazer!

Next one will be another Moai closer to the original style for my sister-in-law.... she teaches 6th grade and there is some reference to Easter Island in the social studies book. More pics to follow!

Here comes #2... working on a sort of Ku... not sure how he will turn out yet... still figuring out square/ round and the headress...

Pages: 1 11 replies