Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Name that band

Pages: 1 24 replies

D

Coupla clues: these guys..by most accounts were the ultimate cheese. They had one big hit...and that was it.

Name that band....

H

Starland Vocal Band?

D

damn...you got it onthe first try. I wouldn't have known this...totally forgot what they looked like. Not like they were very memorable to begin with...

H

In some ways I was hoping I was wrong. Oh well.

Oh and thanks a lot, now I got that lame Afternoon Delight song stuck in my head...
:x

D

HA!

Starland Vocal Band are one of those quintessential 'here today-gone tomorrow' situations that I wish would happen to alot of the pop artists that exist today. They had a mega-giant hit with "Afternoon Delight", were nominated for 5 grammys and won the grammy for "Best New Artists" and from all of that...based on one song...they even had a variety show on CBS for a short time, with a young David Letterman as one of the regulars. After that? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. They went nowhere. Pretty amazing. Why can't that happen to Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, and Ashlee Simpson? You'd figure after so much lambasting in the press and the obviousness of their lack of talent that they'd be history by now...BUT THEY'RE STILL AROUND and they still have an audience. What gives?? Total 'Teflon Idol' situation. They should all have the Starland Vocal Band curse!!!!

On 2005-11-09 12:04, donhonyc wrote:
... They went nowhere. Pretty amazing. Why can't that happen to Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, and Ashlee Simpson? You'd figure after so much lambasting in the press and the obviousness of their lack of talent that they'd be history by now...BUT THEY'RE STILL AROUND and they still have an audience...

... people only die when you forget them...

D

How can I forget them if they won't die already?

Name the Band......
(Another one hit wonder)

D

Tommy Tutone.

I liked that song 867-5309/Jenny

Hmmm.... Casper Luntruch and the Wine Street Warriors??

M

Yep, probably Tommy Tutone.

But it does look a little like Billy Vera and the Beaters.

What's the story, Unga?

Keep this thread alive!

M

OK, here's the business: I got this off the internet some time ago, but it's a killer band ID quiz.

Download it here:

http://rapidshare.de/files/7411612/band_quiz_2.xls.html

It's an excel file. 270 questions. It's pretty tough. It was made in the UK, so expect it to be very brit-centric. Also very current, which killed me. Lots of boy bands, etc.

See how well you can do, and DON'T CHEAT. Post your scores here.

I got 140.

Pappy, why do fools fall for Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers?

Ok... I've got one for ya', what band is this?

D

On 2005-11-10 09:14, otikiniko wrote:
Ok... I've got one for ya', what band is this?

Sonny & Cher...the early Mexican wrestling days?

Sonny & Cher...the early Mexican wrestling days?

ROTFLMAO!.. I owe you a drink for that one! Made my day!

On 2005-11-09 12:48, martiki wrote:
Yep, probably Tommy Tutone.
But it does look a little like Billy Vera and the Beaters.
What's the story, Unga?
Keep this thread alive!

Yep Tutone. Donhonyc got it right off.

Here's another one hit wonder for you all to ponder...

D

I'm stumped on this one. The guy sitting down looks familiar. Tell you what though..the hippie/Doobie Brother hair and the disco shoes and suits DO NOT mix.

What was up with all those mellow 70s bands and musicians and their BEARDS? Kenny Loggins, some of the guys in that group Orleans, a few of the guys in Toto...they all had those well groomed beards. Looked like a bunch of 'Just For Men' ads. Whatta LAME-ASS look!

Ya, I'm stumped. The woman looks like Tenille of "Captain and Tenille".

Here are some hints, They are from Holland. They are a one hit wonder and one of their songs appeared in a Tarantino flick...

George Baker Selection
I can hear Stephen Wright's slack droning voice announcing "Little Green Bag" right now.

You got it! :)

Lookin' back on the track for a little green bag,
Got to find just the kind or I'm losin' my mind...

T

On 2005-11-10 23:10, otikiniko wrote:
George Baker Selection
I can hear Stephen Wright's slack droning voice announcing "Little Green Bag" right now.

Wow! Impressive sleuthing. And a great song.

Pages: 1 24 replies