Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Let the drooling commence

Pages: 1 21 replies

P

Here are some of the tikis, I don't know how old, that populate the Hawai'ian City of Refuge. The fence posts you see are about 6'5" tall. So - that would make the tikis behind the fence around 15 - 20 feet?

This pair was about 6' even.

Here are some of the weapons and paddles on the walls of the Mauna Kea.

[ Edited by: pablus 2005-11-10 22:04 ]

Outstanding!

DZ

Nice pix, braddah!

Awesome Pics!!!

Great shots...all of it is beautiful..

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Nov 11, 2005 7:19 AM

AA should show these pics to his neighbor who passed on his Lono due to a small crack. That still has me scratching my head.

Thanks for posting these pics. More fuel for the fire......

-Gman

Are those not "the sentries" at Pu'uhonnua o Honaunau? I have read that it became a National Park just after Hawaiian Statehood, so they are obviously at least that old.

Cool photos

awesome pics pablus! thanks for sharing.

I saw someone on this board found slides from a trip to hawaii in the 1960's when these tikis were being carved.

sabu and fils:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16365&forum=1&hilite=slides

a vintage trip to hawaii from 1966

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2005-11-11 08:55 ]

KN

Hey, how come you're not in any of the pictures?

P

I can't be in the photos.
I'm not a tiki.

I got some cool ones of me playing uke at Honaunau and took a shot of the poke and poi and fresh fruit picnic.

I wanna be a Hawai'ian.

You are Hawaiian at heart.

Now will you bring me a present? One of those tikis would be nice, or maybe a war club.

B

Thanks Pablus, for the DROOL!

P

Had a great time today.
We went to Hawaiian Botanical Gardens near Hilo.
Volcano.
More Poke.

etc. etc.

I'll get to those pics when I can.

This thread is all carvings so here goes.

Down in the gardens we saw this - around 7 feet tall, made of... well, I included the sign so you'll know who the carver is.

So we are driving toward the volcano on a "scenic route" just north of Hilo and I happened to stop by a place where carver Paul Gephart works. I think we should email-bomb this guy and get him hooked here. His address is [email protected]. Nice work... and I know my war clubs. Real Tiger Shark teeth in the Hawai'ian clubs. Made of Koa, mostly. The animals on the bottom are iron wood. I know one other carver that works in iron wood in South Africa named Ron Van Zyl and he once showed me the collection of dead chisels it took to do one chair. That stuff is heavy and hard.

Schwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Thanks for the phone call, brah. I wish I wish I wish... we could be there with you! That show you saw last night with Bobby Ingano, Led Kaapana, James Hill, et al, must have been great. Perhaps next year we can make it over there for that (note to self: win lottery).

Enjoy your trip, and send us more pix so we can live vicariously through your eyes!

Aloha...

Kanekila

[ Edited by: Kanekila 2005-11-12 10:10 ]

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-15 15:21 ]

Breathtaking photos and Tikis! Thank you so much for sharing these photos. I could only imagine how impressive these would actually be in person; very intimidating, I imagine.

Hey Pablus-

Awesome pics! The city of Refuge tikis are of varying age but none of them are really that old. When I was there in 2003, I met the resident Polynesian carver who makes the tikis and other wood carvings for the CoR. He said that most of them are fairly recent and that they replace them about every ten years. Still, they are quite awesome to see in person, regardless of their age. I sure would like to get my hands on one of them as well as one of the war clubs in your photos!

Mahalo for sharing...

MTM

Man...nice...I just got some fossil Tiger Shark teeth to try a Hawaiian spear with. Pretty, shiny grey/black enamel. I keep telling you, Paul, you da man.

Incredible. My trip to Hawaii is next year and I hope to travel to some of the same incredible places as you Paul. Great shots. Mahalo!!

Did you get to hang with da Gecko?

P

No gecko sightings.
filslash is one cool cat though.

Pablus, you have inspired me to resize my photos that have been waiting for cof cof almost a year to be seen.

This guy has patience:

We asked him some questions. Did I mention he has patience? Check out his tool:

Off in the distance is the City of Refuge, but to get there you first have to walk through the Sea Turtles scattered about like land mines:

No, they're not dead, they're basking in the sun cuz it feels goooooooooood:

I know you want a close-up:

They wouldn't let me take one home so I got a a souvenir Sea Turtle pendant (I grew attached to them!) I named him Pu:

There's a serious message being sent here:

And an equally non-serious message being sent here:

They look hungry:

Bye bye City of Refuge, it was fun--I hope to see you again someday:

[ Edited by: exoticat 2005-11-25 23:57 ]

Pages: 1 21 replies