Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Favorite James Bond Song?

Pages: 1 11 replies

I’ve just dusted off my James Bond soundtracks and fun Bond knock off records and thought I’d pose this question to the group- So what Bond song sends you into a frenzy? I have a preference to the old classics like Thunderball and Nancy Sinatra over Duran Duran. And have to put the theme from Goldfinger on top of my list.

C

Without a doubt (from my favorite Bond movie, "On Her Majesty's Secret Service")"We Have All the Time in the World" by Louis Armstrong. I even used it at my wedding for our first dance.

I love Tom Jones' over the top Thunderball and Carly Simon's smooth & seductive Nobody Does It Better (from The Spy Who Loved Me) but Goldfinger is still the top dog of the James Bond theme song pack.

M

My favorite is probably "Goldfinger", followed by "You only live twice".

However, a close third is the excellent and overlooked "The World Is Not Enough" by Garbage. Lame movie, great song.

I

My favorite is probably the original James Bond Theme - I like how that simple bass riff and the beginning classic guitar licks are repeated throughout the films. It is probably one of the few sequences of music that I could probably listen to in a repeating endless loop without going crazy. For some reason, it reminds me a bit of Ravel's Bolero.

As to guest artists doing Bond theme songs, my favorite by far, and the only one that I will likely crank to 11 in my car, is Paul McCartney's version of 'Live and Let Die.'

Vern

Indeed, the James Bond theme will never be topped. There's always been controversy as to whether Monty Norman or John Barry actually wrote it, but Monty finally got legal credit a few years ago. It was based on a tune he did for a musical some time ago that never made it. This is his website:

http://www.montynorman.com/home/default.asp

and the whole story's there if you're interested.

OHMSS is probably my personal favorite, but it's hard to top the Goldfinger/T-ball/YOLT/OHMSS/Diamonds period.

As far as the later films, The World Is Not Enough is really good as is "Surrender" by K.D. Lang from Tomorrow never Dies. It was going to be the title theme, but someone thought Sheryl Crow was more marketable and had her write that crap they use at the beginning of the film. Surrender is used over the end criedits.

Hard to choose! I like Lulu's 'The Man With the Golden Gun' but the James Bond Theme song is my ultimate favorite.

M

The "Theme" has to be my favorite, but the runners up for me would be "Live & Let Die". Then, "Nobody Does It Better".

I choose "You Only Live Twice". Several "elevator-music" versions of that song were recorded in the 1960s and played on the radio all the time. It became part of the soundtrack of my childhood.

Sabu

V

correctt. I love elevtor covers of James Bond songs. Once I got one (4 phase records), and inside was a cool picture of Sean Connery dedicated.

S

The Phase 4 slbums are by Roland Shaw and his Orchestra. They're probably the best covers of the Bond tunes out there.

So anyway, pardon my nerd-ness, but go here...

Spy Bop Royale

for about all the info you can stand about 60's spy music. Enjoy!

C'mon people, clearly it's "Live and Let Die"! I mean, it doesn't get any better'n that. Honorable mention goes to Magazine's version of "Goldfinger","View to a Kill" by Duran Duran, and although it's not really a Bond song...the intro part to the Beatles "Help" excites me.

Pages: 1 11 replies