Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hale Tiki New Orleans?

Pages: 1 24 replies

Aloha Gang,

I have been down here in New Orleans doing disaster relief for the past two months. I must say that the Big Easy is one of the greatest towns I have ever lived in. Granted it is still in pretty bad shape from hurricane Katrina and Tina (half the city still without power, excessive flood damage, most of the people gone for good) but I can see progress everyday.

The people are great and the city just oozes culture (it has the classic old port city feel). Best of all, the city doesn’t have all of those religious restrictions like my home town has (you know, closed on Sunday and that means early on Sat night too!). Once the curfew is lifted it will be 24/7 again.

Anyway, I opened a specialty contracting business not too long ago (Hale Tiki needed some support in the lean times) and got a FEMA contract to help with the relief and restoration of New Orleans. I have been offered a contract in Miami but I have fallen in love with the Big Easy and don't really want o go!

If there is any town in America where Hale Tiki would make it big it would be here. Maybe I should move it here or open another location. I am living in a really nice home in the uptown district right off St. Charles. I’ll post a few pics as soon as I figure out how to do it.

I have not posted in a while but just wanted to drop in and let you all know where I have been. I hope all is well with you all.

Mahalo,

Brad ‘The Beachcomber’ Owens
Live from the Big Easy

P.S. Hale Tiki is still going well I just enjoy construction work and it pays better.

BO

C

Damn, Hale Tiki is such an unbelievable looking place. Wish I could visit it! And what ultra talented people worked on it. Been to New Orleans before the hurricanes. What an amazing party place with such culture. What a dilema you have. Good luck in whatever you do. I believe the tiki karma will tell you what is next....

M
Moki posted on Sun, Nov 13, 2005 10:25 PM

Hey BK,
Where'd your post go??!!

[ Edited by: moki 2005-11-14 12:59 ]

ST

New Orleans has been without a Tiki lounge for far too long. While I guess the Quarter or Uptown would the best "business" place to put a new bar. I've always imagined the place for a premiere Tiki venue would be Gentilly. Unfortunately, except for the ridge, that area had six feet of water. While the habitable parts of the city have made major strides in cleanup and repair, it's just plain sad to see that the surface has barely been scratched in that area.

While it isn't Tiki, the Rock and Bowl did reopen last Thursday. That building had 6 ft of water too, but the main music venue/bowling alley is on the 2nd floor. Well worth the visit for a fan of music and retro.

V

If you need a bartender for that new bar, I'm up to move to N.O
I've always love the New orleans history and culture, and would love to go there.

T

Brad,

Great to here you are in town (It's actually great to here that anyone is in town). Send a PM and I maybe we can share some libations in Tonga Isle.

I'm certainly up for another tiki roadtrip, and my wife has been wanting to visit New Orleans for like, forever, so build it, and we will come.

I really like it here. One of the bars on the Chops has El Dorado 15 year on its menu. That means it is here somewhere to be bought. That is my favorite rum.

Hale Tiki NOLA would have to be Uptown. The quarter is great but too touristy (is that a word?). I like uptown. It seems to have the right flavor for Tiki. Maybe about the size of St Joe's Bar on Magazine?

The "Chops"???????????

:roll:

Sounds like an opportunity to expand the empire! Perhaps you should talk to one of the big Hotel Chains?

Susan and I have been talking about taking a trip down there (she's never been) and I think I could be a big help to the hospitality service industry workers if I get a few drinks in me and start flingin' tips around like a wild man. I say Go For It!

K

Sounds exciting Brad. I'm still waiting for the Atlanta location to open. Found you a great space in East Atlanta right around the corner from my house! Good luck with the construction and let me know when you are in Augusta again. Doug and I need to get on our bikes and do a road trip before it's too cold!

BTW Doug's dad is from Pascagula Miss. and he is there every Thurs-Mon. helping his dad rebuild. He's only 30 min away. E-mail me your cell phone and I'll give it to him. He's been looking for a drinking buddy out there.

Later,

Scotty

[ Edited by: Kanaka 2005-11-15 08:25 ]

KK

...classic...

T

I'm still waiting for my t-shirt! :)

V

On 2005-11-16 06:47, tikifish wrote:
I'm still waiting for my t-shirt! :)

Hey, that's right, I forgot about it. Me too...

Tikifish,

Give Crazy Johnny a call. His number is 706-736-4300. He is my screen printer. Tell him the type and size and he will get it out to you.

Mahalo,

Brad

Purple Jade,

That would be short for Tchoupitoulas Street.

Brad

On 2005-11-17 10:26, Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens wrote:
Purple Jade,

Brad

Like "Frisco" is short for San Franciso....

ST

On 2005-11-17 10:26, Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens wrote:
Purple Jade,

Brad

You'll never blend in with the natives calling it the "Chops" though.

Well, I have never been one wanting to blend in but it was a "local" that used the term with me. I will stick to spelling out everything from here on out.

Did they also call Clio Street "CL 10", and refer to the French Quarter as "the Quarters"?

PJ,

No, I think they refered to the French Quarter as the French Quarter but I am not sure. Either way this is a great city. The people are nice the food is good and the layout of the city is the best (reminds me of Europe). So much history and culture. Music and funky folks. Vintage clothes are common and cool. I really must say that I love this town.

PJ, are you here or evacuated?

Brad

S

Brad,
You are in a VERY VERY small area of the city that is not messed up, for lack of better words. 80% of New Orleans is in horrible shape. Massive neighborhoods are empty and destroyed.

I am driving five hours roundtrip a day to bring my son to school, from where I am temp. staying. Chunks of the street I live on where raised up and tossed about.

I was born in orleans "parish" and never heard the term "Chops"....
I also never thought I would see 99% of my homes contents in a trash heap on the curb..........

There is afairly new Polynesian type restaurant:
Ohi'a
2 Lee Circle, in Hotel Le Cirque

[ Edited by: suzywong 2005-12-07 18:31 ]

Suzy!!!!!
Where ARE you?????
PM or email me, please!!!!!!!

On 2005-12-07 18:24, suzywong wrote:
Brad,
You are in a VERY VERY small area of the city that is not messed up, for lack of better words. 80% of New Orleans is in horrible shape. Massive neighborhoods are empty and destroyed.

I am driving five hours roundtrip a day to bring my son to school, from where I am temp. staying. Chunks of the street I live on where raised up and tossed about.

I was born in orleans "parish" and never heard the term "Chops"....
I also never thought I would see 99% of my homes contents in a trash heap on the curb..........

There is afairly new Polynesian type restaurant:
Ohi'a
2 Lee Circle, in Hotel Le Cirque

[ Edited by: suzywong 2005-12-07 18:31 ]

Suzy Wong! Thank goodness you & your son're OK! Is there anything you need that we can help with?

S

Hi PJ,
Thanks freddie! I am just reading this and appreciate your kind words.

I am back in my neighborhood along with my parents. (living in an RV, WE bought, not fema. We'd still be waiting. We are the ONLY people living here in this area. I guess it's the "upper" 9th ward. Not as horrendous as the lower 9.

There are very pristine pockets, (parts of Uptown and the French Quarter) but for the most part, it's a mess and politics as usual.
Libraries, hospitals, schools, churches, either looted, gutted or in LIMBO. Not to mention the neighborhoods.

Pages: 1 24 replies