Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

I loved him...

Pages: 1 44 replies

P

And I told him so often.
In fact my last words to him were:
"I love you, braddah - next trip you're going with me."

I'm in the Philippines but I got the news last night...

I'll miss him but I'm glad to have gotten to know him.

His rich harmonies, his easy laugh, his delight to learn, his exasperating habit of being the very last to leave the Lagoon Lounge, his goofy New Years' Resolutions, his never-ending line of unique friends, his fresh hand grown produce that he would bring to us (including bananas), his willingness to play and obvious enjoyment of our circle's company, his genuine nature and loving view of humanity.

He was a true friend and a good man who cared deeply for people.

RustyKey.

Those of you who got to meet him and enjoy his company are very blessed.
He really enjoyed knowing you all. He mentioned several names of people to me over the years that he really thought fondly of. KailuaGeoff and Marian. Tristan and Tiki Bree. Humuhumu. Swanky. Chip and Andy. Shell in the Pacific. There are many more of you. Those are the names that come right to the top of my mind.

He went crazy with glee at the Hukilau and always had a new name to trot out to me of someone he had met and really liked. King Kukulele always had him laughing loudly.

I won't even go into what the Haole Kats and their families meant to him.

Live aloha every day.
Tell those you love that you do. Make it a habit.

I didn't know him but he was privileged to have a friend like you.

My condolences.

Derek

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2005-11-14 20:58 ]

Say it aint so.......

Andy and I consider it an honor to have met him and a pleasure to count him as a friend.

I feel sorry for those who don't drink. When you get up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day!

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2005-11-14 21:09 ]

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 14, 2005 9:11 PM

My condolences too. I didnt know him, but he sounds like a top bloke, and you obviously had a lot of respect for him.

O

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.

Our condolences to you.

Russ was a wonderful man and a pleasure to be around. His enthusiasm often reminded me of why I started playing music in the first place. You couldn't hope to meet a more gentle, compassionate and all around good human being.

I'm lucky enough to be able to say he was my friend. Russ, you'll be missed.

Josh

V

I have met him at Hukilau, and he looked like someone really nice. Sad, sad, sad.

Oh my god. I'm in shock. Pablus, I'm so very, very sorry. Rusty Key was a dear, darling man. He was so easy to connect with, so... f#$k. I need to go cry now. I'm really sorry, Pablus.

Wow...Me and Nikki are crying, man...Wow...That's just...very heavy. I can't even say. We both talked story with Rusty at Hukilau...How did this happen? Man, Paul and Scott and all, I just don't know what to say...I gotta go. Terrible news....

My deepest sympathies and warmest thoughts to you during this time. So sorry for your loss.

P

Thanks for your warm responses.

Angela and I, Koka Nut (Scott) and Aimee, Josh, TJ and Heather, Joe, Palm Farmer Johnny, Tall Mark, Mad Mike, Diamond Dizzle Darryl, Long Lee and the rest of our little crew appreciate what this community meant to Russ. And we all appreciate your kindness at this very difficult time.

BTW, since a few have pm'ed me and asked: He was about 55 and died of a heart attack at home. No previous history of trouble although I found out that he had been ignoring symptoms of congestive heart failure for a while. After what I've been through this year I would like to have thought that he would have had everything checked out multiple times.

Even though I was reticent about dropping this on the forum, I thought that it was fitting since this was one of his favorite groups of people and I might miss somebody by a PM blitz.

TG

We met Russ for the first time at Hukilau this year. He expeled kindness in his voice. He came over to our booth and talked with Trish and I quite a bit throughout the weekend. He even supported us with the purchase of a willow walking stick we had there that nobody wanted. Beautiful piece of wood. He collected walking sticks and was in awe of this one and loved it. You might have seen him walking around with it. His kindness to us meant alot. We were just speaking of him and about how kind he was the other night after listening to the CD you gave us Pablus. It's going to be hard to listen to it the next time we put it in.

We're sorry for the loss of such a great man, and for your sorrow. He will be missed.

Gary & Trish

MH

Condolences from Mr. Ho and WAITIKI. Don't even know what else to say except it sounds like this guy is fortunate to have such an ohana around him like this one on TC.

One of the most kind,helpful,intelligent,and mellow man I have ever come across on this planet. I am blessed to have known him and will miss our conversations about ukes,music,and the spirit that guides us all. Pablus,Scott,everyone at Media Central,the Kats and I all will share our sorrow for a very long time to come. Our circle has been broken along with our hearts. I will take a piece of Russ onstage with me forever more...

Rest in tropical peace Braddah .....
Joe/Haole Kats

My thoughts are with you Pablus and with this Ohana who are blessed to have met him. I'm deeply saddened.

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2005-11-15 08:42 ]

K

That was a beautiful and very moving tribute to a wonderful friend, a wonderful man and a beautiful soul, Pablus. Heather and I are both sad beyond words about this news.

Rusty was always gentle, soft-spoken, kind and warm-hearted. Everytime we'd meet, he always put his arm around me and asked "How are you doing?" Most of us say this to each other casually everyday, but when Rusty asked you, he was sincere about it -- he really wanted to know how you were doing.

I also remember how he told me how lucky I was to have such a wonderful wahine in Heather. Of course, I could not agree more.

Man, I can't listen to him singing "Beautiful Kauai" on the Crazed Mugs CD without getting misty, and I imagine it will be like that for quite a while. I like to believe he's in a place now that's very much like that. I will miss him very much.

Here's to you, Rusty -- Rest in Peace, braddah.

M

sniff :(

I feel very cheated that I didn't get to meet him at Hukilau :(. I'm so glad you got to know him and love him so, though, Pablus.
F

KK

Very sad news. Paul, you said it best. I know this must be difficult. Thank you so much for introducing us- it would have been a great loss not to have known him. Goodbye friend. Thank you for the warm memories.

Very sad to hear this news and of the loss of our Ohana. I never met Rusty either but he touched me with his music. Pablus you are a lucky man to have been able to share the gift of music with this friend. The music you guys all made together will keep him alive forever. I feel for everybody who was close to him.

Chongolio

I was not only fortunate to meet Rusty and have a toast with him, but he also brought a special vibe (like all the rest) to an after party I hosted at Hukilau 05. Here he is (the way he'd probably liked to be remembered) just enjoying the moment in time enjoying himself, at the after party. The video is compliments of KuKuAhu. (It takes about a minute to download).
I invited Russ to next year's Hukilau after party, and he said he would come.
I know he'll be there. :)
And by the way, at Pablu's note....I love all the friends I've made at Tiki Central!!
Save me a seat at the Mai Kai Rusty!!
I'll miss ya dude!

K

On 2005-11-15 10:26, Unga Bunga wrote:
Here he is (the way he'd probably liked to be remembered) just enjoying the moment in time enjoying himself, at the after party. The video is compliments of KuKuAhu. (It takes about a minute to download).

Funny, I was just about to post that here myself. Thanks Unga. I am suddenly overwhelmingly glad I recorded that moment in time.

Pablus, I'm so sorry man. Hang in there buckeye. If there's anything I can do..

Ahu

Pablus, yes -- please let us know if Russ's mom needs anything that you know of, or if there's anything else we can do.

Here's a pic from UngaBunga's afterparty with Rusty, Scott, Pablus, Josh, moi and Crazy Al assuming a horizontal position. That's was quite a night to remember (well, I remember most of it, anyway).

http://img405.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ungabungasparty0yi.jpg

We were dumbstruck when we saw this post last night...just couldn't believe it. I'm so sorry, Paul. The Crazed Mugs CD has been on regular rotation around this household...and has become my main carving CD. There'll be many toasts...There should be a Rusty mug. Mine and Nikki's condolences, Paul and Scott and his family...

There are a number of pictures of Russ in my gallery of pics from Daytona Beach last January, here's my favorite one:

Rusty was clearly an uncommon man, for him to have touched so many of us so profoundly, so quickly. After having a good cry last night, I put this in my Humu Kon Tiki blog, I'll share it here, too:

I didn’t get to know Rusty Key as well as I should have, but my encounters with him left me feeling warm and fortunate to have crossed paths with him. My favorite memory is of his kindness and patience in teaching me how to play “Wait For Me” — I still have the song sheet where he wrote down which chords to play when. He made me feel like he was every bit as excited about my learning ukulele as I was. I’m so very sad that I won’t be able to play it with him when I’m in Florida in January.

Rusty: I’ll meet you in Waikiki, under the banyan tree….

Pablus, thank you for sharing your friend with us.

Let me add my condolences, too, Pablus. Although I didn't get to know Rusty, I did meet him at Unga Bunga's party, and it is always sad for such a close community to lose someone so treasured. He was too young, but perhaps he is needed elsewhere.

This is so sad. I feel really bad for Pablus and the tiki ohana over on the west coast. The gentlest part of our tiki soul is gone. Unbelievable.

Now I know how very lucky we were that Rusty and Pablus came to the Honolulu Lounge over the summer to drink and talk and play ukes with us and Flounder and Meg. That was yesterday and it was such a special time for all of us.

Thanks for saying that Rusty would mention how he enjoyed our company, Pablus. I think I told you several times the same about him. One thing Rusty and I really connected on was the need for the tiki community to be about sharing and caring for each other and making sure everyone had a good time, and not so much about selling and egos and being in charge of something or the biggest expert. We used to talk about how the tiki community at its best was kind of like the old Deadhead community and how great that was when it happened.

He also told me many times how much he cared for you Paul.

I can still see him sitting in the Hawaiian Inn patiently squeezing fresh citrus that he brought from his own trees for our giant rum barrel. Just working on it and enjoying the vibe until the Zombie's were perfect. Then making sure everyone had a drink or didn't have one if that is what they wanted. What a cool dude and what a major loss, but what a joy to have gotten to know him if just for a short while.

KG

Here's another of Humuhumu's photo's from last January.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff 2005-11-15 14:31 ]

So sorry for your loss.

A

I never had the pleasure of meeting Rusty, yet I feel bereft. He was so clearly one of the finest souls on the planet. To all of you who did know and love him, particularly you, Paul, I send my most sympathetic condolences.

To Pablus and Rusty's TC friends -

Just wanted to send my condolences and fond aloha via the tc coconut wireless. To Mr. Rusty I say "A hui hou", which in Hawaiian means, "Until we meet again" ... I enjoyed meeting you at Unga Bunga's and hearing your music.

-Randy Wong

I

Count me as one of those who is also very saddened by this news. I was fortunate to be able to meet Rusty this past January at the Hawaiian Inn. I liked him, and I could see some common things between us - how each of us could sit removed from the main central activity, and yet enjoy the ambiance that was being created in the room. He was definitely one of those who had a 'Santa Claus' twinkle of kindness in his eye. My favorite memories of him that weekend were late at night on Daytona Beach, when the tide was low, when Pablus and Rusty were strumming their ukuleles -- right about the time when some of the above photos were taken.

At this past Hukilau, on Friday night, well after the Robert Drasnin performance had ended, I walked over to the Cabana to see what was happening there. Even later into the night, I started to walk around to see what else might be happening. I came across one room with an open door, and from inside the room came the gentle sound of a ukulele - so peaceful when compared to the loud music and conversation at the outdoor bar outside. I walked inside, and sat at the bed - Rusty was there, along with Josh from the Haole Kats. They welcomed me, and motioned for me to sit down - and that is where I stayed for what must have been at least 90 minutes, as the two traded ukulele licks, and as others revolved in and out - it was a highly informal, intimate, and impromptu ukulele instruction forum - the musicians played songs, traded chords, and taught new fingering methods. I felt honored then to be in that room, and feel even more honored now.

Before I walked into that hotel room, I took a few pictures, and I decided to share them with you. They capture a bit of what my memories of Rusty will be like.

Pablus, you did a very good thing by inviting Rusty to the tiki events, and allowing all of us to meet him.

As a final thought, I want to share a quotation which I read recently, and it somehow seems relevant now. It is by Steven Levine ....

"If you were going to die soon and had only one phone call you could make, whom would you call and what would you say?
And why are you waiting?"

Vern

K
Kono posted on Tue, Nov 15, 2005 5:58 PM

I am very sorry to hear this Paul.

I am thinking of you and his family and friends and I am hoping that the memories of him help you all through the hardest parts of this mourning process.

I feel sad and unfortunate that I never did meet him.

HK

Wow, Vern. Those pictures were a bit tough to look at for a minute there...That was the last time Russ and I had a chance to hang out.

Could you e-mail me any photos you might have? Thanks, Vern.

Josh

I am so crushed to hear that Rusty has left this world. I only knew him briefly, only too briefly. RugbyMatt and I ate breakfast with the Crazed Mugs one morning at the Cabana, and Rusty made us both feel so welcome. My Crazed Mugs CD has been in the player since Hukilau. It has become one of my most favorites. Knowing I missed the opportunity to have Rusty sign it, breaks my heart more than ever. Sweet dreams, Rusty. Rest well.
Love and Aloha,
Shelley

This was given to me at funeral of a good friend , just wanted to share it ....

Death is nothing at all. I have only slipped away into the next room. I am I, and you are you.
Whatever we were to each other, that we still are. Call me by my old familiar name, speak to me in the easy way which you always used.
Put no difference in your tone, wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Pray, smile, think of me, pray for me. Let my name be ever the household word that it always was, let it be spoken without effect without the trace of a shadow on it.
Life means all that it ever meant.
It is the same as it ever was; there is unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight? I am waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just round the corner.

All is well.

I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki 2005-11-19 10:14 ]

I really don't know what to say because I never knew Rusty - but I feel really sad anyway!!! I just got to meet Pablus a week ago. I am sorry that you lost such a good friend!! I really really like the Crazed Mugs CD and I wish I could have met Rusty!!! Rest in Peace Rusty
ALOHA,
Spermy

K

What a beautiful tribute to the spirit of Rusty. I have no personal memories to share but I feel certain that it is important for TCers to share news that reflects both the joyful and sorrowful moments along life's journey. Thanks for posting Pablus. My thoughts are with you and others during this difficult time.........

S

A crushing blow... Hukilau, the Hawaiian Inn, the Lagoon Lounge, these things are cool and all, but what I have come to look forward to more than any of it is Pablus and Rusty playing and singing. That's all I need to set it right. In a hotel room, on the beach, in the car... I carry the aloha with me forever. The mana poured forth from him and his uke. I cherish it.

KN

Thank you all for your warm responses. Russ would have been very happy to see that he affected people in such a positive way.

He was a genuinely good person who really cared about other people. When he asked you how you were doing, he really meant it. When he said he hoped you have a good day, he really meant it.

I feel priviledged to have been in a band with him, but more importantly I feel priviledged to be able to call him a friend.

We're all going to miss him.

I just wanted to pay my respects to a great guy I knew only too short a time. Like Shelley said between breakfast and Unga Bunga's late night soiree Rusty impressed me as a truly good soul. I am sure he is reaping those rewards strumming away and looking down upon us all with a smile. Mahalo for letting me know you even if for a little while.

Very sad. He will be missed. I'm glad I got to know him. I was really looking forward to seeing him at the Hawaiian Inn and talking with him more.
My mother was crushed as well. She still talks about the experiance at Kailugeoffs. She fell in love with you guys and your ukes.
I'm very sorry.

M

I just met Rusty for the first time in Tampa on our way to this year's Hukilau - actually he picked us up at the airport. We were fortunate enough to get to ride down to Ft. Lauderdale with him and Paul & Scott. I liked him instantly - when we arrived at Pablus studio I was awe struck at the plants around the building and Rusty was gracious enough to show me what was what. He told me all about the things he grew at home. You could tell how much he loved to grow and and how proud he was. I knew of him from times Swanky spent in Florida with Pablus and the gang but I am so glad I got to finally meet him. He was so nice and so very sincere. My thoughts are with you guys... and I feel privileged.

HL

I'm just catching up on old posts and I can't believe my eyes.

I got to meet Rusty on International Tiki Day when he, Pablus, and I met and had a jam session. Although we only met briefly, I got the same vibe that everyone else describes here about him.

My heart goes out to his friends and family.

P

It's been a few years now.

Rusty is still missed beyond measure.
I think of him every single day.

One point of good news is that Koka, Diamond Dizzle Darryl and I went into his grove this last year and absolutely cleaned it all out. A few others caught the vision of a renewed grove and helped us out and it looks spectacular much to Rusty's mom's delight. She's 85 now and still as feisty as ever.

Anyway - I appreciate having a forum where people have posted memories and photos (that we grabbed many of for our website) about him and these posts make me feel a lot better at a poignant time.

Many of you who posted on this thread have become very close friends and I'm very thankful for that as well.

Keep living aloha.
I've let myself slip lately and I regret that.

Lots of aloha to you all,
pablus

On 2008-11-11 15:45, pablus wrote:
Rusty is still missed beyond measure.
I think of him every single day.

And the memories bring a smile. He is always with us as long we keep the memories alive.

Pages: 1 44 replies