Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

anybody know anything about bamboo bugs?

Pages: 1 4 replies

I've reached the point in my home bar project where I need to start thinking about bamboo. I know there're little bugs that live in bamboo that one should get exterminated. But I was wondering: can those little bugs stand a New England Winter? If I leave them outside for a few weeks, will that fix the little &%@$*s and save me some money?

Most bamboo can stand a winter in the North East (there were several stands on Staten Island when I was growing up, and there were a number of stands in parks in Chicago when I lived there), so I'd think that the 'BooBugs could, too.

You could call the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University, I know that they grow bamboo there and they'll probably know something about it's pests & whether they can stand your winters. The Plant Information Hotline is 617.524.1718 x 127, but it's only open on Mondays from 1 to 3 PM. You could perform a Google Local search by typing in the word Arboretum along with your town name & Massachusetts, i.e. "arboretum, boston, ma", to turn up an Arboretum that's closer to you.

Thanks.

I guess if bamboo can grow in Chicago, those buggies might just live anywhere too. I'll call and see what I learn.

you could always wrap the bamboo in plastic, and let off one of those cheapy "bug bombs".maybe poke a hole or two,in the plastc so it doesnt explode..

Boric Acid. Or ask Bambooben.

Pages: 1 4 replies