Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

The Mayor's New Alto Flute

Pages: 1 2 replies

Just wanted to announce that in light of recent and future engagements, namely the Hukilau and the upcoming tour to Mexico in April, I have just purchased a new alto flute, a Trevor James (made in England) solid silver.

This instrument used to belong to Panamanian flautist Mauricio Smith, who lived in NYC for many years, and died in 2002. Mr. Smith had played with many of the greats in Latin music, namely Tito Puente, Tito Rodriguez, and Machito. He also played saxophone, but flute was his thing.

After the Hukilau, and especially the Voodoo set, where I played a borrowed alto flute for about 75% of the set, I figured this would be a wise opportunity to take advantage of. My now not-so-secret wish is to play this new flute on Mr. Drasnin's Voodoo II!

IZ

photos! photos please!

(by the way, does this call for a Watermelon sacrifice?)

I, Z

Didn't Mauricio Smith also play in the Saturday Night Live band? I actually played for him/met him in high school, he came to Iolani School to do a masterclass/clinic with our stage band.

Congrats on the new ax... waiting to hear what Plamingo Flagoda sounds like on that sucker......

Where are the watermelons?

Pages: 1 2 replies