Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

How about some more "step-by-step" posts...

Pages: 1 11 replies

All of this recent heartfelt discussion seems to have had a galvanizing effect on the "Creating" Ohana. Here's my challenge for all of the artists here on TC (painters, sculpters, carvers, etc.): Let's try to share a little more of the process. Every one does things a bit differently. What may seem mundane to you may ignite a stroke of inspiration in another. Let's fire this thing up and see what happens.

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua 2005-11-16 22:38 ]

H
hewey posted on Thu, Nov 17, 2005 2:11 AM

Will do.

good idea A-A. i've got a palm log sitting in my garage that i started about a month ago, and haven't gotten back to it. hopefully this weekend i'll get back on it and post progression shots.

I'm setting up several of my carvings in the step by step manner. Its always the last thought on my mind, but my current project is setup that way. and now that I redoing ta moko I really want to document the change. So stay tuned.

I'm certainly not a person to learn from, but maybe I can get some advice on how this could have been better.

I started with a Catalpa log about 30" tall and an idea to copy the first photo in BOT. (I just copy stuff; I don't have the imagination to think things up outa thin air . . yet. Besides, I have no idea what I'm doing.)

I started buy drawing on the image on the log, then rough-in the cuts. I hadn't figured out how to make the nose stand out by trimming down everything else, so my noses always turn out small.

So here it is all roughed in. By this time I realized that I hadn't made the face broad enough (a recurring problem with me). I still think in 2D and always seem to put the face on the front 1/4 of the log only. Well, back to the draw-knife to trim him down some.

Not great, but better . . and on to the teeth and lots of sanding.

Catalpa has really dark, walnut-like heartwood so I had to go with a dark stain. I highlighted the eyes and teeth by lightly sanding after the stain. Then finished with spar varnish (had to be weather-proof).

It's a simple design, and I like it, but it doesn't kick me in the pants like I'd hoped it would and I don't know why. Oh well, on to the next one . . learning as I go.

L
Loki posted on Fri, Nov 18, 2005 6:31 AM

Thanks Silver for your walk through...i think its a great help to find out the pit falls that other carvers fall into. I am just about to start working on my first piece and hope i can avoid some of the mistakes of noobies...keep em coming...

I agree...fixing to carve a taiaha, lots of spoke shave work involved, and will post as time permits. If we could bring it all back in the "Tiki Carving Methodology" thread it would be easier to find and more recognizeable along with the old info that's already there. Silver with your permission I'll move your step by step over to the thread and you'll be the first to get it alive again..

We all see flaws in our work that others don't seem to notice. I dig your vintage era replica though, Silverline. Personally I like to stick my neck out with the step-by-step posts. It makes it more of a gamble, but more of a challenge as well. I figure if I screw up in the process, we'll all learn together what not to do. And if it turns out well, all the better. Mahalo for sharing. It's awesome to see the finished product, but the process is fascinating as well.

A-A

Thanks for sharing Silverline!!! I still think it looks pretty sweet!!!

On 2005-11-18 21:46, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Silver with your permission I'll move your step by step over to the thread and you'll be the first to get it alive again..

Fine by me; where ever you think it would be best. I'll have another BOT knock-off with progress shots in week or so.

Thanx for the step-by-step. I think it turned out great. Sometimes it's more difficult recreating than originating. NICE!

basically i let my palm dry out for about a month or so. draw a chalk line in the middle. hog most of it out with a chainsaw, ruff it in with a disc grinder/die grinder.torchit.back spray it then waterproof..

Pages: 1 11 replies