Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Day after Thanksgiving San Diego Tiki Crawl

Pages: 1 27 replies

Allright, now that the Tiki Bowl is over, I need more TIKI!

Ahem ...

The day after Thanksgiving, which is Friday the 29th here on the West Coast, my tribe is hooking up with AlnShelly and hitting the tiki hot spots in San Diego. Bali Hai, Islands, Hanalei etc... Al knows all the places of tiki interest.

Al and I also plan to swim in as many hotel pools we're not registered at as possible.

If anyone wants to meet up with the crew, let me know.

(did the indians really show the pilgrims how to make candy corn?)

Bongo!

I'm in.

My wahine has to work (someone's gotta pay the bills) but count me in and I'll try to get the illusive Weezer to join us.

Working is for Women! (just don't tell my wifey-poo I said that or she'll cut of my allowance - ouch!)

Have fun in S.D. you freaks!!!!
The Mrs. Boo and I will be suffering in Vegas that night having to watch the living tikis (stones) up close and personal. I say living tikis cause they looked carved now days. Matter of fact, I think I'll ell them that when we meet back stage. "Dudes, you's look like freakin living tikis!! How bout a Stones goes to Hawaii album?? Blues Hawaii? Bali High? Did I ever tell you (TC) bout the time mrs. boo and i went to Keiths pad in Ocho Rios, Jamaica?

T

I would like to join you as I will be in San Diego from 11/23 to 11/30. Perhaps we could have dinner at the Islands as the dining room is so nice (while the bar is nothing special). I am having dinner with friends at the Bali Hai this Saturday (the 23rd.).

Jab,

Would like very much to meet you. The only night we'll be in San Diego is the 29th. Al and I had already planned to eat at the Islands with our significant others.

Bring your swimsuit as we plan to swim with the Moai!

I'll post specifics regarding dinner time next week.

Bong,
Did you say you were bringing the fam? If so, count me in. I'll bring my menehunes as well. We'll probably just come down for dinner, though....

PolyPop,

Yeah, Keikes are going. But it won't slow the fun down too much!

M
mig posted on Wed, Nov 20, 2002 6:58 PM

WELL SONUVATIKI... I WILL BE THERE!!!!

I'm going to be in SD all that week, hanging with my family.

Your humble TikiCentral co-proprietor would like to attend....

T

That's great news, Mig. This is turning into a real wind-ding!

T

That's great news, Mig. This is turning into a real wing-ding!

Ok, Mig's in, Jab's in, Bong & Fam, Al and Shelly, Pop & Fam, and Uncle Arty too!

Well, I just booked my room so I'm in for sure. Bong, keep us posted on the details like reservation, meeting time, etc. I will be staying at the Holiday Inn Harbor View.

*** * * The Polynesian Popster * * ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2002-11-21 08:53 ]

Hey, this is great. Family Bong and I plan to meet up at my place from 12:00 to 1:30 for a quick cocktail. Then we head downtown for a tour of Shelter Island. We'll walk the grounds of the Half Moon Bay Resort, Trader Mort's Liquor and see all the Tiki architecture. Then over to the Islands Room to crash the pool, a time tested tradition Kevin and I enjoy. Cocktails at 5:00, Dinner at 6:00. The Bali Hai later in the evening. Everyone is welcome to come with us or meet up at the Islands Room. here's some info.

"Sam Choy's Bali Hai"
2230 Shelter Island Drive San Diego, California 92106
619-222 - 1181

"Island Room"
Red Lion Hanalei Hotel
2270 Hotel Circle North San Diego, California 92108

Al and Shelley's place
2814 Mesa
Oceanside Ca
[email protected]
760 754 8195

Jab and Mig I don't know what your schedule is, but, if your going to be in North County San Diego next week give me a call and we'll have a cocktail. This is great.
Al

Wish I could stop by the Lagoon Room for a cocktail (I love that place!) prior to, but ZettieGirl is working until 2pm that day. We'll have to follow in the afternoon. I'd love to tour Shelter Island with you guys. What time are you getting there? Maybe we can meet with you.

This is one of the many times I think "what a missed opportunity!"
The 29th is my wife's birthday, she is from Chula Vista, and had we been living closer than a few thousand miles away...we would definitely be joining you!
Hope you have fun, and remember that the Bali Hai Mai Tai is 90% Rum :wink:
(In the meantime we will enjoy all you can eat Sushi and later make tropical drinks at home.)

Enjoy
Ran

S

I'm out. :(

Unfortunately, Uncle Arty has too many chores to do before the Mele Kalikimaka Party and I need the extra day due to upcoming weekend commitments.

Sounds like great fun!

Suck one up for me. :drink:

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

T

Al-

What time do you expect to be at Shelter Island today? I could meet you somewhere, like at the Bali Hai. Have you heard from Mig?

Dean (thejab)

Kevin and his family will be in Oceanside around 12:00 we'll be on Shelter Island around 2:30 or 3:00. You can reach me at 760-754-8195 or [email protected]. E-mail me if you have a number we can reach you at. Meeting on Shelter Island is a good Idea.The Bali Hai at 3:00 sounds good. I have not heard from Mig.
Mahalo,
Al

M
mig posted on Fri, Nov 29, 2002 12:08 PM

Hi kids--

I'm down here in SD, but I CAN'T DO IT!! I am getting unexpectedly called back early for work-related crises... :(

Gotta head out soon, tie one on for me. :(

mig
Mr. Vacation-Cut-Short

Damnit Mig! I was looking forward to meeting up with you. Wanted to get the lo-down on the Maury debacle. Oh well, maybe next time! Hopefully we can talk at the Trader Vic's thing in Emeryville on the 10th. Are you gonna be there?

We had a great time on Shelter Island, the Bali Hai and the Islands Room yesterday. Sabu, Dr Z, Poly Pop, Tiki Bong, Shell in the Pacific, Lizzette, Madame Bong and the Kids all had a very Tiki time. The good news is the Islands room is now serving in mugs you can keep. The mugs are the Chinese Orchids of Hawaii knockoffs. Kinda pricey at $18.00 for a zombie in a Watusi styled mug. We toured Humphrey's Half Moon Bay, Morts Liquor and some of the Tiki archetecture on Shelter Island.

I'm sorry we missed the Jab and Mig. Dean did you go down to the Bali Hai?. I'm sorry if we missed you. Next time.
Mahalo,
Al

T

Sorry I missed it but Friday morning I got a call from a friend I've known since elementary school and I wanted to see him on my last day in town. I was hoping to bring him with me but his family and relatives were all there and I couldn't drag him away. I'll let you know the next time I'm in San Diego.

T

Not all the mugs at Islands were O of H knock-offs. I got a scorpion bowl that was an O of H. It may have been something other that brand new as it did have crazing.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph! That was a fun two days in San Diego. Had a great time with Al, Shelly, Doc Z, Sabu and Bong & Fam. Here's the pics I managed to capture:

HANALEI HOTEL

Large Moai overlooking the pool. Notice in front the tikis flanking the Lifeguard signs.

The Hula Hut where you check out towels.

My son Christian outside the Islands Restaurant. Notice the Ku carving in the back.

Tiki in the Lobby.

Colored glass floats in the Islands center skylight.

The Volcano Wall with clamshell fountains.

Puppy Moai Penis Ears Wasabi artfully crafted by Doctor Z.

The crew - from left to right: Sabu, Al, Tiki Bong, Doc Z, Shelly, Sam, Madam Bong, Sara, ZettieGirl and Christian.

BALI HAI

We followed dinner with a trip to Bali Hai on Shelter Island. Of course by this time I was well on my way to becoming fairly inebreated. As such, I only managed to take one pic - when I was sober. Mr. Bali Hai himself:

My fam and I followed our morning with Breakfast at Humphrey's Restaurant in the Half Moon Bay Inn. Great A-framed exterior but sadly, modern 90's interior. From there we went to Sea World. I saw lots of A-frames in the Shipwreck Reef area and took lots of pics which I'll post later when the film is developed.

Had a great time with the gang. Can't wait to do it again!

BTW Al, you owe me twenty bucks - I asked four people if they were Dean...

*** * * The Polynesian Popster * * ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2002-12-01 23:12 ]

I so wish I could have been there. Only two more weeks and I will finally be in LA. I can't wait to see everyone.

T

And we can't wait to meet you Tikibelle, as we say at TC, any friend of Sabu's is a friend of ours!

Bong,
We already met Tikibelle - at Al and Shelly's Tiki Bash pre-party. Remember?

T

Ah,,, Oh yeah!

Pages: 1 27 replies