B

I would like to post a picture but dont know how
HELP anyone
thanks

K

[ Edited by: KuKuAhu 2005-11-20 18:59 ]

B

Kukuahu-
at first the cups were 6.99 then they raised the price to 7.99..........so 2 or 3 bucks to answer your question. looks like you are from this area go get them yourself and save.

B

hey heelgrinder thanks for the info I will post as soon as I can figure all this out
thanks again

ever heard of ebay? I never see you post about anything else except your sales.

B

huh??????????

i like pie.

V

I like Key Lime Pie

B

On 2005-11-19 01:21, bdler3 wrote:
huh??????????

I think that chisel slinger was referring to the fact that of the 128 posts you have made here, only 7 haven't been in relation to your eBay auctions. And 4 of those 7 have been in this thread. Everyone likes to see what tiki related items members are selling. But at the same time we like to get to know the person, hear how they got into tiki in the first place, fond memories, that kind of thing.

E
Erika posted on Sat, Nov 19, 2005 6:53 AM

This thread is in the Collecting forum, so maybe it's going to be a show-and-tell rather than just a "for sale." (His/her previous sales messages were in the Marketplace forum.) Let's wait and see. . . .

P.S. The three mugs I got from the Kahiki outlet were $4.95, last May.

does the kahiki outlet store sell pie? its good for feeding your kids. if you have alot of kids, you'd better have a big house.

K

[ Edited by: KuKuAhu 2005-11-20 19:00 ]

B

gosh is it just me or are there a lot of bad vibes around
here. I thought the members here would want to know what is being auctioned so they might be able to add to their collections. If you are not interested in my auctions thats fine, dont bid on them. But why (especially you chisel slinger...whoever you are) taking shots at me. This is a forum for everything tiki including tiki marketplace isn't it?
I am not trying to make any enemies and I dont understand why posting this info is so upsetting to anyone.

because around here, we are tiki collectors for tiki sake. now if you were the same, you'd get on here and talk our talk. enough of us has been burnt by people who beat us to historical items that we are trying to preserve, and jack up the prices just because they are only in it for profit. you wormed your way in here to make cash. this is a forum for people who love the tiki culture, not scalpers who have no other input. and if you were actually into tiki, you might know who I was.

K

[ Edited by: KuKuAhu 2005-11-20 19:00 ]

hmmmm how much is that vintage Kahiki postcard and swizzle and newly minted Kahiki mug going for again?
you know I would have loved to have been able to take home a few mugs from the Kahiki outlet the last time I was in C-bus, but there wasnt anything there... I've been told by freinds out there that if you dont get there when it comes in that some guy comes in and buys it all... at least I got some napkins and swizzles, Thanks richard.
Good thing I have brothers out there in c-bus who managed to wrangle up a few befoe you got you hot little hands on them.
See thats the difference, they bought a couple extra for a freind, and left the rest for others...
Von Yinzer
FOM, Rediscovering the past for a Drunken Future

[ Edited by: rustbeltcat 2005-11-20 19:29 ]

B

Most of you only know a little about me and this situation. I was originally hired by michael tsao owner of the kahiki to sell this stuff. I was contacted again after michaels death. I was in the outlet store a couple of days ago there are plenty of mugs napkins swizzel sticks etc to buy. I have been villified by some of you folks as a criminal for posting my ebay sales info here. When I thought that was the proper thing to list under the" tiki market place".
dont worry I got your message I will not post here anymore.
Sorry to upset anyone that was not my intention.

I also traveled to the outlet store to add some Kahiki bowls
I'm missing to my collection & got the same explanation. The
people that work there told me that two people buy them
out every time they get a new shipment & to check ebay if I
wanted them. Pretty much sucks.

Instead of railing against free enterprise, why don't you folks who live locally freaking stake out the place and beat this fellow at his own game?!?

Your endless streams of abuse aren't nearly as exciting as your coming home with armfuls of Kahiki merch to spread around amongst your family and friends would be.

In fact, if you weren't so busy sitting around writing another po'd post about him on TC you'd probably be out nabbing that stuff!!! :roll:

(And then maybe you'd be kind enough to offer some of it to us out-of-towners who can't get to the outlet! :wink:)

This thread makes me sick. What the #$@! is wrong with you guys? Where in the rules does it say you can call people dicks? Where does it say you're free to call people thick headed? Who made you guys the official spokesperson for the Tiki Ohana? There's a lot of hate being spewed here, and it's not from bdler3 as far as I can tell.

KuKuAhu, Chisel Slinger, Rustbeltcat, you guys need to cool down, bigtime. Go reread the rules, and reread what you wrote. It's pretty vile.

K

On 2005-11-20 13:18, tikivixen wrote:
Instead of railing against free enterprise, why don't you folks who live locally freaking stake out the place and beat this fellow at his own game?!?

It isn't sour grapes over collections, even if it appears that way. There is a great deal more to it than that.

Your endless streams of abuse aren't nearly as exciting as your coming home with armfuls of Kahiki merch to spread around amongst your family and friends would be.

Again, it isn't about the merch. It is about people using people for money. It is about greed and false inflation of prices for profit.

In fact, if you weren't so busy sitting around writing another po'd post about him on TC you'd probably be out nabbing that stuff!!! :roll:

This is first time I have ever made it a point of addressing him after hearing a mountain of complaint from many others both local and otherwise. It isn't an issue of "stuff".

(And then maybe you'd be kind enough to offer some of it to us out-of-towners who can't get to the outlet! :wink:)

We already do/have done that. You've merely never asked. One of our locals is picking up a volcano bowl for an out of towner (assuming there is one there) currently.

Frankly if this person were not using the tiki culture for profit, out of town folks would be easily able to stop in at the outlet store and pick up items any day of the week for a fair price.

That is mostly what this about, but not all.

It was unfair to unload this here and make someone unwelcome on the forum, I admit that. But purging the community of one who only comes here to line their pockets at the expense of everyone seemed worth the bad manna.

My apologies to those who had to be involved by proximity.

Ahu

Ok To Hanford and the rest of the Ohana that I may have ofended by my remarks, Sorry, I humbly prostrate myself before you...
To scalpers all the world over and in whatever colleting area you are in you are still Richards.
To often I have gone hunting for items, only to find shelf warming items, left by people who had nothing better to do than sit in front of stores before they opened, to go and grab the good stuff.. Then anyone else who collects these items whether they be Hot Wheels, Tiki Mugs and stuff, or whatever you may collect, has to go and pay double and triple later on e-bay.
If I am out and I see cool stuff and I buy doubles of somthing, or even an ocasional triple of an item, usually it ends up in someone elses hands.. Its called a random act of kindness, I have given away matchbookx, swizzles, mugs, and other such items to people I am freinds with.

So In closing, Capitalism is wonderful, If this were a comunist or welfare state, we would either be provided with our tikis, or be on a waiting list for them, but we would all have them.
Good luck BDLER3 whoever you are, may all your dreams be wonderful.
Hanford I again apologise to you and the ohana, it was not my intent to upset you.
sincerly
Von Yinzer

TJ

I have had a few conversations with the staff of the Kahiki Outlet Store in Columbus. They have all said the same thing, 2 or 3 people come in buy up loads of merchandise to sell on Ebay. That's fine. But, they mentioned that no one was selling items for Mr. Tsao. Most of items that Barry Adler (that's his real name by the way) is selling are always from the outlet store. I have seen no items that were actually from the Kahiki restaurant. That's because Mr. Tsao wanted the Kahiki decor to go to a charitable oragnization and NOT a collector. The decor is now all gone, it has been given away according to Mr. Tsao's wishes. Coming on to TC and selling your wares is fine with me. But JUST selling your wares and not being a part of the community I find offensive.

[ Edited by: Tiki Joe 2005-11-24 17:00 ]

T

I'm quite confused by the replies in this topic.

As per the rules of Tiki Central bdler3 is allowed to post Tiki auctions here to inform everyone of the tiki items he's selling. The items are clearly Tiki related. I think many Tiki Central Members will never make it out to the Kahiki Outlet Store, so having auctions of this sort posted here is a benefit to the Tiki Central Community.

Furthermore, the Kahiki Outlet Store has the power, if they so choose, to not sell their items to bdler3, or to limit the number of items they're selling per customer, which is a common practice. But it appears the Kahiki is choosing to not do that.

Finally, based on what I read in the topic that Tiki Greg linked to, it appears that he is/was a legitimate reseller asked by Michael Tsao himself to auction items off.

Tiki Auctions are welcome on Tiki Central. I have always encouraged TC members to post their feelings on auction item quality, value, and rarity as a service to other members who may not know those things about an auction. Additionally, if someone knows an auction to be bogus or a scam, posting about that is a huge service to all of TC. But the comments here don't seem to be about any of that.

So I don't fully understand what is about. If anyone has a beef with bdler3, please take it off of the public forums.

~Hanford

S

The Kahiki has let go of much of the decor in the last little bit. Some went to local tikiphiles, some was donated to the zoo and some was put in the outlet store. I think some is still there. bdler got some of it I think and has put one piece on Ebay. I am glad to say, most of the Kahiki stuff has stayed in Columbus. The larger stuff like the fireplace is still looking for a home. Wish I could oblige.

On 2005-11-19 08:32, bdler3 wrote:
I thought the members here would want to know what is being auctioned so they might be able to add to their collections. If you are not interested in my auctions thats fine, dont bid on them...This is a forum for everything tiki including tiki marketplace isn't it?
It does seem in retrospect as though bdler was posting in the interests of his auction, rather than show-and-tell (as Erika suggested hopefully). If so, perhaps all this unpleasantness could have been avoided by:
1.) bdler's posting in Tiki Marketplace rather than Tiki Collecting (which he usually does correctly do) OR
2.) any of us using U-Moderate to suggest that the post be moved to Tiki Marketplace.

Tiki Marketplace IS for anyone and everyone to post their sales - dedicated TC contributor, outsider opportunist, or anywhere on the scale 'twixt the two.

While I don't think BDLER3 necessarily deserves the vituperative comments that have been made here, this entire discussion is reflective of the current state of Tiki. Those of us who think of ourselves as collectors are at odds at those who we think are mere opportunists, and buy up all of the available items in the wild in order to make a buck.

I found a thrift store that was very productive. Then, a few months ago, a couple of guys (I presume antique dealers) showed up. These guys would hang out at the thrift store from the time it opened until an hour before it closed (after all of the backroom items were put out on the shelves). These guys would raid the carts as the employees wheeled out new stuff from the back. It seemed that this rich hunting ground suddenly dried up. On the occasions that these guys were not there, I did score stuff, such as a recent vintage Mr. Bali Hai mug. Were these guys snagging all of the good stuff? I liked to tell myself that they were. I still bristle when I see them, but I never actually say them buy any Tiki. Are they actually buying up all of the vintage ceramics, including Tiki? I have no hard proof of that. They may or may not be buying up all of the vintage Tiki, but I have certainly projected my resentment on them.

I completely understand what RUSTBELTCAT and the rest of them are saying... that bonafide collectors are paying through the nose and are forced to turn to Ebay because opportunists who don't give a rats butt about Tiki, are snatching things out of the wild. And as long as guys like Ebay's Kohalacharms are willing to pay $40, $50, or more for a mug that we used to be able to snag for a buck or two, things aren't going to get any better. So is BDLER3 a real enthusiast, or an opportunist? I have my suspicions, but I don't really know. In any case, unless he is violating the rules, he does have a right to post just like the rest of us.

In the short run, what Formikahini suggested is best. Post the Ebay auctions in the Tiki Marketplace, and leave Collecting Tiki for enthusiast discussion. But in the long run, as the finite pool of wild vintage Tiki becomes smaller, things are only bound to get worse.

Well put.
Nothing is worth anything until someone decides they want it, and how badly they want it.
Case in point a couple of years ago I paid 80 bucks for a westwood teapot.
Yes it will be harder to find the wiley tiki mug out in its current envirions of antique malls, second hand stores and estate sales, But then again somtimes you come across things that you would never excpect, and those are the finds that one treasures.... CIP I just turned up a Kon Tiki swizzle from on that was located here in pgh, My stash of huge tiki items from a local hotel that had a hawaian floor show, My Hu Ke Lau glasses from a long gone pgh resturaunt bar ....
YEp I could go on ebay and buy it there, but I like the hunt, for some it is impossible, and e-bay is a great alternative, But to go out and specifically buy new items and make them unavalible in the public setting that they came from , thats a bit messed up, How would any of you folks feel if you knew that you were headed to the Kahiki outlet, (far cry from the real thing, but for arguments sake) and were planning on picking up a keepsake there (aside from eggrolls) only to be told that some guy just bought out the stock of mugs for sale on e-bay? Mull that over after a 3 hour drive.

Honestly at this point I think everyone gets the picture, and has their own opinions on the matter. Free enterprise is great, Tiki stuff is great, hell if you are a tiki feind and can make a buck at it, more power to you.
If you are a fink, well your a fink, and nothing is going to change that. You have to live with yourself, and it doenst matter what anyone says, because you are going to continue doing whatever it is that makes you a fink.
I think its time this conversation was locked up and put to rest.

Yea, how dare you sell tiki stuff to tiki folks so they can enjoy themselves, and then you have the nerve to make a profit, well thats just un-americ........oh wait, thats what this country is all about!.Don't blast folks for making a living. Tiki central is not just for starving artists that are pissed that there is not alot of tiki stuff in the salvation army store and only a little cash in their pockets!.BE NICE!!!. If you do not like this persons stuff, do not buy it, but chasing them off cuz you are a little anti-capitalist aint what this site is about.Practice a little love and tolerance like you guys always preach about on your volvo's bumperstickers!!!.PEACE AND LOVE TO ALL. TWT

F

On 2005-11-27 20:49, rustbeltcat wrote:

If you are a fink, well your a fink, and nothing is going to change that. You have to live with yourself, and it doenst matter what anyone says, because you are going to continue doing whatever it is that makes you a fink.

Hey, leave me out of this! :lol:

On 2005-12-03 04:55, twowheelin'tiki wrote:
but chasing them off cuz you are a little anti-capitalist aint what this site is about.Practice a little love and tolerance like you guys always preach about on your volvo's bumperstickers!!!.PEACE AND LOVE TO ALL. TWT

OK,
I guess you dont get it.
I have since rethought my thoughts..
BDLER DOES have everyright to put his stuff up for sale, I have no beef with that anymore.
I had honselty hoped that this thread was dead, and should be dead.
I really dont care anymore it isnt worth my time.
BTW I will call em as I see them, put that in your pipe and smoke it tonight...

[ Edited by: rustbeltcat 2005-12-03 08:55 ]

Honestly at this point I think everyone gets the picture, and has their own opinions on the matter. Free enterprise is great, Tiki stuff is great, hell if you are a tiki feind and can make a buck at it, more power to you.

Hey TWT, I guess you skipped past this section of my post as well.
Anti capitalist my left butt cheek.

K

[removed]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - offsensive comments - 2005-12-03 16:11 ]

M

Practice a little love and tolerance like you guys always preach about on your volvo's bumperstickers

Can I get a Hallelujah? I said, can I get a [i]HALLELUJAH{/i}!

midnite is all about the love, always the love. Not just the love of a naked cafeteria worker, either. I'm for all kinds of love, and I practice it all the time. I'm loving this right now...hey now! Stand back, kiss myself, love is in the air tonight. Can you feel it...hmm, yes I can.

Tiki Central needs more love, give your own selves a big hug and feel that...fuh-eeel that love. Oh yes, praise the Lord... or in my case salute that flag! It's a freaky flag and I fly it. Ooohh Momma, I's flying it all the time.

No more preachin' from your favorite uncle midnite. Let's all get along or I let out another of my 27 personalities, put a Rodney Kingin' on your ornery selves.

midnite... Volvo? WTF?, I ain't got no wimpy, PBS-watching, sprout eating, joggin' in the morning, Grateful Dead listening, Leo Buscaglia loving, wimp ass cart. I got me a Muni Fastpass, move to the back O' the bus!

Pages: 1 35 replies