Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Question about podcasting and the RIAA

Pages: 1 5 replies

K

Obviously, I know I can't broadcast anything that a band recorded and released. BUT...if I wanted to do a podcast featuring a band I was in when I was 12 years old playing "25 Or 6 To 4" by Chicago, what are the repercussions? I've researched this online and get mixed answers. Anybody know?

The songwriters hold the copyright for 75 years no matter who the recording artist is.
The song is the songwrighter's property. Do you have any original old band material that you can play on the air?
Or you can use other original tunes by other friends, IF they give you written permission AND the material is NOT published by a previous song publisher.
Talk radio is always good.
Stay out of trouble.
Good night & good luck.
(oops! I think THAT phrase is now George Clooney's property).
Hellotiki

K

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this old band only had one original tune.

The podcast is going to focus mostly on the music we've made since we were all part of this band as kids, which would be all original music. It would be nice to play an old tape of us doing "God Of Thunder" as 12 year olds...it's hilarious. I doubt the RIAA or Kiss would pitch a fit, but the web host most likely would.

Last year when we all got back in touch with each other we recorded a song through the mail (we all live in different states). We did "Get Back" because that was the first song we learned as kids. I'd love to include that on the podcast but I'll probably get my hand slapped. Maybe I'll just play a 10 second snippet...

I'm so going to get in trouble. I do a weekly podcast in a radio show format that features plenty of music from different bands. So far no one has yelled at me and a few bands have thanked me for the exposure, but I don't understand what makes podcasting so different from regular college or free-form radio. Especially if we aren't charging for ads on the podcasts. Should I expect the RIAA to eventually come after me, or is there no precedent for podcasting. I'm really confused on this one.

BTW: Here's my RSS feed for anyone interested in hearing the show.

http://www.lifeinabungalo.com/podcast/radiobungalo.rss

-g-

K

liabungalo, I sent you a pm.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:12 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies