Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tiki Slideshow Part 1 Encore - Denver, CO January 26

Pages: 1 9 replies

This is an open invitation to any tikiphiles here in the Denver area. I've been visiting Tiki Boyd's semi frequently, and have grown to really enjoy the place. I will be giving a tiki slideshow in the bar on Thursday night December 1st and then a second part on Thursday night December 15. The shows will begin at 8:00pm. At the first show, I'll be showing 'Air Conditioned Eden' followed by some personal postcards, pictures, etc documenting Polynesian Pop culture around the United States. At the second show, I'll be showing 'Tiki Hunters' followed by research that I have completed documenting Denver's tiki history.

I think the bartenders are planning on making a special drink only available during the evenings of the two shows. The shows should be a lot of fun, try to make it down and meet your fellow tikiphiles.

Tiki Boyd's is located inside the Ramada Hotel at 1100 East Colfax Ave., Denver.

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-01-05 19:14 ]

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-01-24 21:00 ]

A great chance to see exemplary urban archeology in a fitting environment. Wish I would be there.

bump - just a reminder. All will enjoy the evening.

H

Very nice ZuluMagoo. This must be the best place in the midwest to take on an event like this. I will be there in spirit.

T

I'll be there

Bump for Part II this Thursday Night Dec. 15th.

We had a great time at the first show. Come on out if you are here in Denver.

MD

I'll be there in my loudest shirt! And I'm bringing more friends that want to see what my obsession is all about. Educating one lost soul at a time.

And speaking of educating, Zulu, your presentations are awesome. Thank you again for all the work that went into them. I've been inviting everyone I can think of who is into tiki but don't haunt Central.

I sent a postcard to Tiki-Bill, the old guy I told you about that has collected tiki forever, a least a hundred tiki, mostly small. He has the last moai I carved at 5' tall and its his biggest. But he has some from almost every carver. Quite a guy.
No phone or computer. Just books everywhere. He walked down to Colfax and used a payphone to call my wife about the moai.

I also invited a lady named Kathyrn who bought my little headhunter head, she has a tiki bar in her basement.

And also Ken Trujillo, A tiki nut who has a couple hundred mugs, including an original Tiki Bob, he's a great guy and an awesome photograhper.

Gonna make you famous Zulu.

Mr. Dale

Z

Due to popular request, I have added a third tiki slideshow. I had too much info to squeeze into the second show. So instead, at the second show I screened Bigbro's "Lost Tikis" tour and then did a slideshow of tiki architecture of Southern California (I included lots of the apartment complexes that are in my Tiki Tour of SoCal book).

Part 3 of the show will be Thursday Jan. 12 at 9:00. The third show I will finally show "Tiki Hunters" and then do the presentation about the history of Denver tiki.

I just remembered that the Ramada is completrly booked during the National Western Stock Show, which will be going on for two weeks during the thrid show. The National Western is a HUGE event every year here in town. It has been held annually for 100 years here in Denver. The event brings in cowboys from all over the country. I imagine that a few of them will find themselves in the tiki bar that night wondering what the hell is going on.

I have also had several requests to do Part I again, that will likely happen late January. Check http://www.tikiboyds.com for current information about the shows.

I'm having a blast doing these slideshows, and we are getting a pretty good crowd. Speaking of, our last show was a crack up. We had several cowboys who were in town for the stock show and in the bar last Thursday actually stick around for the show. Several of them mentioned to me afterwards how much fun it was. It was quite a sight.

Back by popular request, this Thursday (Jan. 24) I will be presenting an encore presentation of Part 1 of the show. I have revised the material slightly and have added additional movie clips (early footage from the Tiki Room at Disneyland and some more Don Tiki clips). I imagine we will be presenting samples of another signature tiki drink like last week (individual samples of the Bronze Serpent was available for everyone in the bar to try). If you are in town, stop by for an evening of fun. Show starts at 9:00.

MD

Much to my livers dismay...I'm gonna try and make it again. Hopefully I'll make to work the next day.....not like last time.
I need my fix....Harry Jew and an Occasional Man.

Boy does that sound wrong. I'm not gay..I'm not.

I just really like prison movies.

Pages: 1 9 replies