Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Les Baxter's The Fruit Of Dreams

Pages: 1 3 replies

Browsing through Amazon.com, I noticed that in early December they are releasing
Ports of Pleasure and The Sacred Idol together as The Fruit of Dreams. The label releasing
them is Cherry Red, but their website didn't give much info about the CD other
than the track listing. Anybody got more info on this?

R

I've picked this up via Dusty Groove -- it's a 2-for-1 cd that combines "The Sacred Idol" and "Ports of Pleasure." Haven't gotten to listen to it much yet, so hadn't posted anything further. The one disappointment with the artwork is that some of the original artwork is there, but not in its true original form. The girl from Ports of Pleasure is inside the booklet, and the actual cover is the Sacred Idol (but with the new CD title), but those LP covers themselves have been altered in the booklet.

I recently picked this up on eBay. It is an import CD from the U.K. I have mixed feelings about this CD. First off, at 2:13 into the first track there is a definite sound glitch in the left channel. I also believe that these sources were taken from vinyl and not from the Capitol masters. The liner notes are very vague. Nothing about how the Ports of Pleasure album actually had 2 extra tracks on it that you do not get with these stereo copies. The stereo ones are available though. There are other differences as well between the mono and stereo copies. Still, it is nice to have both these classic Exotica albums on one CD. It is hard to complain too loudly.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

R

My CD has the glitch in the first track as well; I didn't mention it earlier because I hadn't had a chance to listen to it on another player yet... but confirm the glitch!

Pages: 1 3 replies