Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Orchids of Hawaii

Pages: 1 34 replies

Dies anyone have a total collection of all the mugs or know of a catalog show pictures of all of them . Trying to find all of the mugs but don't know how many there are . any help please

M
H

It's not exhaustive (yet!), but you can do a search on Ooga-Mooga with the Manufacturer restricted to Orchids of Hawaii:

Orchids of Hawaii Mugs in Ooga-Mooga

I need that catalog!!!!

A

Interesting to see that catalog cover on the other thread (thanks MauiTiki). Here's an old newspaper ad I posted earlier in another topic...

At the time I was pretty sure this must've been a flower shop with the same name, but seeing that catalog with the similar-but-not-identical script logo makes me less certain. Odd that there's no mention of what they make or sell though. Noteworthy that the company itself is based in Japan.

-Randy

C

Maybe I'm asking a lot of dumb questions (actually, I know I am) but - what the heck WAS orchids of Hawaii?

Was it Japanese owned? Was it a 2nd generation Hawaiian/Japanese company? Or was it run by some guy who just had all the mugs made in Japan? A disgruntled OA ex-employee? How far back do they go? There must be a story behind it all, shrouded in mystery upon mystery. Or is this all common knowledge that I've simply never heard anything about?

They made really cool lamps, but where? Were they made on the mainland? Or what???

I photographed parts of a 1991-92 Orchids of Hawaii wholesale catalog at Oceanic Arts last year; the address on the cover of the catalog is 3703 Provost Ave., Bronx, NY 10466

I've been working on organizing my Orchids of Hawaii mugs. I'm trying to come up with complete list of what's out there. I've come up with 42 so far. That's not counting variations in color or slight modifications. I have 23 actual Orchids mugs and then I have some representations i.e. Dynasty knockoffs. I found this old thread and with it a link to some Orchids catalog pages. Does anyone have complete catalogs and would they be interested in scanning them in here? Here's my list. Can anyone fill in the gaps?
R1 - Headhunter
R2 - X Eyes
R3 - Jewel Eyes
R5 - Hut Tiki
R6 - Bamboo bundle
R8 - Three face bucket
R10 - Skull
R11 - Rum Barrel
R12 - Kahuna coffee
R13 - Coconut
R14 - Scorpion bowl
R15 - Pineapple w/lid
R18 - Bora Bora
R21 - Samurai
R22 - Geisha
R23 - Jurojin
R70
R71 - Ku
R72 - Easter Island
R73 - Red hula
R73A - Nani
R74
R76 - Lono
R78 - Hula
R79 - Lani
R80 - Surfing boy
R80A - Surfing girl
R82 - Fu Manchu
R86A - Compote
R88 - Kona Kai
R90 - Deluxe coconut
R91 - Leilani
R92 - Confucius
R93 - China Doll
R94 - Volcano bowl w/ center
R94A - Volcano w/o center
R95 - Hotei
R96 - Parasol girl
R97 - Buddha
R98 - Hat girl
R99 - Mermaid
R122 - Neko Cat

T

Here is one you're missing - R-4 - I don't know what to call it

M

We have Orchids of Hawaii R-16 Plumeria mugs

They are pretty cool. We found 4 of them.

Iv'e never seen nor heard of them mentioned in this forum or Ugga Mugga

Mahalo

McTiki

R16 Plumeria - that's one I've never seen before. Thanks! I'm going to add that to the list.

Some that I dont have numbers for -

Small Fogcutter
Short Yellow Mug with a Dragon
Tripod Bowl
Bowl with 4 Masks
Green with 4 Hula Girls

R70 is the Black Mug
R74 is the Brown Tiki mug that is now being produced by Dynasty.

T

On 2007-01-02 09:02, TikiPhil wrote:
Here is one you're missing - R-4 - I don't know what to call it

If I remember correctly that is referred to as the smiling big nose tiki.

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2007-01-03 23:33 ]

UJ

I did a search online and found this:

From JetSet NYC:
Orchids Of Hawaii

(1-800-223-2124)...a restaurant supply company with an exotica mail order catalog. Fringed table skirts ($3.50 a running foot), bottles of flambe (6 bottles for $61), a complete luau decorating kit ($31.95) and much more!

After searching 800# directories, Orchids of Hawaii appear to be operational. Anyone try calling the number?

I've heard rumors from some pretty good sources here on TC that Orchids and Dynasty are one in the same. Name change for legal reasons. Anyways Dynasty has a website and their catalog is online. Looks pretty similar to the Orchids catalog. I'm going to update the list I put up earlier with the Orchids catalog numbers and then a second column for the corresponding Dynasty catalog numbers. Not everything in the Orchids catalog seems to have made it over to Dynasty and there are some new things in the Dynasty catalog that I don't think were ever in the Orchids catalog. I have some pieces marked Orchids on the bottom with the "R" number and then corresponding piece with Dynasty's "DW" number. I wonder if the 800 numbers are the same?

No, 800 numbers are different. Dynasty is 800-828-0810.

T

I just noticed that you are missing another one that I have. R-73B - it is just like R-73A just larger. They are pictured together on page 91 in Tiki Quest.

T

I did a quick search on "3703 Provost Ave, Bronx" and found that that address is now home to a DVD store called Love Shack III, Phone:(718) 515-6969

Tried the Orchids number several times. Busy every time. Did a reverse look up on that number and got nothing. My guess is that is no good.

T

I've been working on organizing my Orchids of Hawaii mugs. I'm trying to come up with complete list of what's out there. I've come up with 42 so far. That's not counting variations in color or slight modifications. I have 23 actual Orchids mugs and then I have some representations i.e. Dynasty knockoffs. I found this old thread and with it a link to some Orchids catalog pages. Does anyone have complete catalogs and would they be interested in scanning them in here? Here's my list. Can anyone fill in the gaps?
R1 - Headhunter
R2 - X Eyes
R3 - Jewel Eyes
R5 - Hut Tiki
R6 - Bamboo bundle
R8 - Three face bucket
R10 - Skull
R11 - Rum Barrel
R12 - Kahuna coffee
R13 - Coconut
R14 - Scorpion bowl
R15 - Pineapple w/lid
R18 - Bora Bora
R21 - Samurai
R22 - Geisha
R23 - Jurojin
R70
R71 - Ku
R72 - Easter Island
R73 - Red hula
R73A - Nani
R74
R76 - Lono
R78 - Hula
R79 - Lani
R80 - Surfing boy
R80A - Surfing girl
R82 - Fu Manchu
R86A - Compote
R88 - Kona Kai
R90 - Deluxe coconut
R91 - Leilani
R92 - Confucius
R93 - China Doll
R94 - Volcano bowl w/ center
R94A - Volcano w/o center
R95 - Hotei
R96 - Parasol girl
R97 - Buddha
R98 - Hat girl
R99 - Mermaid
R122 - Neko Cat

Just thought I would add to the list here. Dave & I had dinner tonight with Velveteen Lounge at ING'S. Kelly & I each picked up a nice Orientala Girl in a celadon green. It's marked Orchids of Hawaii R-126. Will post a photo tomorrow in the sunlight. For some reason my flash is over exposing my photos.. Has anyone else seen these?

[Over the hill and scraping my way up the other side, but I'll be damned if I'm going down with out a fight!]
MYSPACE

[ Edited by: tikipaka 2009-03-08 07:41 ]

LT

Here's a few that I didn't see on the list...

• R4 Smiling Ku/Smiling Big Nose/Flipper - Similar to the OMC Smiling Big Nose/Flipper mug with yellow interior.
  • R7 Bamboo Mug - Similar to PMP Bamboo Mug
  • R9 Surfing Boy
  • Unnumbered Surfing Boy
  • Unnumbered?? Double-Walled Coconut - Similar to Steve Crane Coconut
  • Unnumbered Coconut (may be R13). Has a dark olive color with a design similar to the Frankoma T7 Coconuts.
  • R13A Coconut - Similar to the OMC Coconut.
  • R70 Ku - Gloss Black
  • Unnumbered Ku - Flat Black (some similarities to the R70).
  • R72 Red Clay. Darker brown with a wood-grain finish.
  • R73B - Tall Hula Girl (color)
  • R74 is another variation of the Ku mug.
  • R130 Dragon Mug
  • Unnumbered Ku Fogcutter (short).
  • Unnumbered Four Faced Tiki Bowl
  • Unnumbered Four Faced Tiki Bowl (Short)
  • Unnumbered Hula Girl Bowl - All Brown
T

Ok, so here are a couple of pictures on the girl. Any one else seen this one?

Can bearly read the bottom. But it does say Orchids of Hawaii R-126

i see these from time to time in antique malls.....

LT

I've only seen photos of that one - never first-hand.

M

What number is this one?

or is it another unnumbered and forgotten OOH mug.

OGR

Nothing earth (or Mug) shattering, but an interesting ad from a Aug 16, 1952 NYC Guide book....OGR?

On 2009-03-08 07:47, tikipaka wrote:
Ok, so here are a couple of pictures on the girl. Any one else seen this one?

I have two of them. I have no other information to give. Hopefully someone else does.

I would say that it's a Kokeshi Doll mug. Similar to the Benihana Kokeshi mug on the right.

On 2005-11-26 09:05, aquarj wrote:
Interesting to see that catalog cover on the other thread (thanks MauiTiki). Here's an old newspaper ad I posted earlier in another topic...

At the time I was pretty sure this must've been a flower shop with the same name, but seeing that catalog with the similar-but-not-identical script logo makes me less certain. Odd that there's no mention of what they make or sell though. Noteworthy that the company itself is based in Japan.

-Randy

I noticed in this ad that one of the shops was in the Kauai Surf. I was just looking at Dustycajun's post on the Kauai Surf
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36840&forum=2&7 and noticed what I think is an Orchids of Hawaii sign. Am I just seeing things? It does appear to be just a flower shop.

P

On 2009-03-07 19:39, LOL Tiki wrote:

• R4 Smiling Ku/Smiling Big Nose/Flipper - Similar to the OMC Smiling Big Nose/Flipper mug with yellow interior.
  • R9 Surfing Boy
  • Unnumbered Surfing Boy
  • Unnumbered Coconut (may be R13). Has a dark olive color with a design similar to the Frankoma T7 Coconuts.
  • R70 Ku - Gloss Black
  • R130 Dragon Mug

Hi have found another :Large Vamp mug/fogcutter

P

On 2009-03-07 19:39, LOL Tiki wrote:

• R9 Surfing Boy
  • Unnumbered Surfing Boy
  • R70 Ku - Gloss Black
  • R130 Dragon Mug

Hi have found another :Large Vamp mug/fogcutter

P
TT

Earlier in this thread were a couple of examples of Kokeshi Japanese doll mugs from Orchids of Hawaii and Benihana, but the above are pics of one I've never seen before from OMC that was used at the Fuji-En Japanese Restaurant in Denver, CO.

I added an Ooga-Mooga template for them at http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=9345

Saw them listed on eBay as "Geisha Vases" at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-Of-2-7-75-Tall-Porcelain-Vases-Shaped-Like-Geishas/192302084646?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D46657%26meid%3Dbff590c7fba5467d8b076c6b8a72cc14%26pid%3D100678%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D14%26sd%3D322779093045&_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607&_trkparms=pageci%253Aad4bef3c-a74b-11e7-b1a8-74dbd180dc0f%257Cparentrq%253Adc33733615e0aa4824ab70fbfffdc0fd%257Ciid%253A1

I think there are still many asian themed mugs and bowls from both OMC and Orchids of Hawaii left to be discovered. Probably unnumbered.

I don't have room to collect everything, but thought that these deserved to be documented with some screen captures.

Pages: 1 34 replies