Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Website/Host blocked in China... Asking webmasters for help

Pages: 1 4 replies

M

Aloha,

I recently learned that my company's website is not accessable in China (which is a major market for us). Our Host (Verio/Wecom) is blocked there for whatever reason. I am learning that MANY hosts are blocked. Can anyone recommend a web hosting provider that you know is accessable in China? I found out that Yahoo hosting works fine there, but they do not offer .cgi support which we need. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

This is why when China and other countries want to "Help Run" the internet we just say no! We are not supposed to be political on this site, but this issue could affect us all. The internet is so powerful that the government of China has to control the content it allows. I'm thinking you should make a second site, find out what part of your web site caused it to be blocked and leave out or tone down that part. Then maybe your sanitized site wouldn't be blocked. It could be just certain words you use, or maybe one thing you sell.... Or maybe just what country you are selling from. Gotta love those oppressors of human rights!

Good luck on this!

My husband just wandered by and told me the problem is the word "Free Trade". He thinks they just don't want their people buying stuff. As for his background he is an officer in the Air Force, and well versed in the political crap for that part of the world.

The regime that killed more people than Hitler, Tojo and Stalin combined--being repressive--shocked! I am shocked!

M

Okay... stop. I was afraid that this thread was going to turn this direction and it has. I realized when I posted this it would be a hot issue, but I was really hoping that everyone would stick to the question at hand and not turn this political.

A fellow TC'er has already pointed me in the right direction. Thanks.

As it turns out, websites are blocked & unblocked almost daily in China. There are no guarantees that this will not happen to any host.

Pages: 1 4 replies