Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Happy Chrismahanaquanzaka

Pages: 1 6 replies

I just got an e-mail from a friend asking me to sign an online petition and to boycott Target stores this Christmas. What is Targets big crime against humanity? They now call this time of year the "Holiday Season", instruct their employees to use the greeting "Happy Holidays" and refer to the 25th not Christmas.

I did a little research and found that Sears, Kohls, and WalMart also do this. Last year I was so excited about the Virgin Mobile "Happy Chrismahanaquanzaka" ads because it was just so nice. Let's include everyone and just have a nice Winter Celebration.

For many years the schools have been having "Winter Break" not "Christmas Break". And the kids also don't have "Christmas" parties anymore. How did the Moral Majority miss that? I guess many of them do boycott schools by homeschooling....

For the past 15 years I have carefully chosen my Christmas card to not use the words Merry Christmas. Because I have many friends of many different backgrounds and surely wouldn't want to offend them. Of course many people have no problem offending me by constantly sending me religious e-mails that purport that if I'm a good Christian I'll forward it to all my friends, and if I don't misfortune will surely rain down on me. I chuckle as I hit delete, remembering that the bible teaches that God is not vengeful!

Any opinions? Besides that I will surely burn in Hell?

I don't get it. It seems that a few years ago, the religious people were complaining that Christmas was just an excuse for massive consumerism. They considered it irreverent and even blasphemous to exploit Christmas for marketing purposes.

Now that the stores are trying to disassociate their ad campaigns from Christmas, they are threatened with boycotts.

Some people are never happy unless they are telling other people what to do.

And to all my Aztec friends, Happy Quetzal-Kwanza!

Sabu

H
Helz posted on Fri, Nov 25, 2005 5:29 PM

Let's hear it for Festivus!

Festivus, for the rest of us.

You can send friends a Festivus card at http://www.crazygrrl.com/cards/choose.php?cat=1

I was going to start something about how Christians stole this holiday from older pagan religions in Europe, but this board is supposed to be religion and politics-free as much as possible.

--SBiM

OOPS!

Usually I am religion and politics free. I must be in a mood. However I did post this in BILDGE for a reason....

BTW I researched all my sale papers and web sites of every retailer I could think of. Wow, talk about religion free. The word Christmas just doesn't appear!

Thanks for letting me vent, anyway!

I find the word "Xmas" to be less threatening than "Christmas" (plus it puts a little bit of a PUNK spin on it). Don't be surprised if you receive a greeting card from me this year that simply reads:

Life is tough
Times are hard
Here's your f#@kin' Xmas card

Pages: 1 6 replies