Is there any better smell than...

Pages: 1 20 replies

new lauhala matting or
Gosling's Black Seal rum?

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:12 ]

DZ

FRESH MINT!!

I

10 Cane rum also smells wonderful - much smoother than the other rums in my bar collection.

VErn

That first blast of Australian Oak smoke from the chinese ovens when you enter Trader Vic's or the Mai Kai...but fresh lauhala is right on up there on the roster, too...

DURIANS!

:lol:

S

Mmm...fresh thatch,
Or
The mint sprig in a Trader Vic's mai tai!

Plumeria Flowers off the tree in my backyard.

cynfulcynner, saying Durian is not even right..... I lived in malaysia for 6 months and know all about that "smell". They can call it the "King of Fruits" all they want, but it smells like an outhouse. Both Korea and Thailand had it too. Bad, bad, bad, stuff. I got bad flashbacks just seeing that picture.....lol

H
hewey posted on Sun, Nov 27, 2005 5:38 PM

AHHH! Durian! We tried some in Thailand. The Thai say "Smell like hell, taste like heaven" We thought it should be "Smell like Sh@#, taste like sh#@!" Nasty stuff. I believe its a ruse to laugh at tourists "silly tourists, eating yucky fruit!". Dead set, they even have No durian signs, like you would have no smoking signs, in the hotles it is that bad.

Back on topic, I love:

The smell of freshly worked pine wood

Mums spag bol (spaghetti bolognaise)

Rotting Noni fruit laying out on Marquesan farm racks. (Since it's discovery as New Age medicine it has replaced Copra there.)

Actually, that is the worst smell I ever encountered. Fresh mint would be my fave, too. And, on a good day, the smell of arriving in Hawaii.

I love the smell of cedar, my whole house has a hint of cedar too it after a good day of carving and sanding.

H

Coco-butter lotion.

C

Re: DURIANS

I don't think they smell bad at all. Yes, the smell is a bit insistant, but I can tell it's actually of vegetable origin and only pretending to be something disgusting. I even fancy I can detect the sweet underlying elements of strawberry, almond and banana that make up the flavour of the fruit.

CHRIS

T

On 2005-11-27 18:23, bigbrotiki wrote:
And, on a good day, the smell of arriving in Hawaii.

This reminds me of a few lines from a book I quoted from a while back, the imagery in which sticks with me very strongly:
But I must admit it was wonderful to fly to Hawaii in a Boeing 707 in 1969 before it became so touristy. It was like being in the start of a Bond movie, the one where Ursula Andress came up out of the sea in that white swimsuit. The whole island smelled as if it had been sprayed over with the most wonderful subtle perfume. It was quite heady.
(original thread):
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16130&forum=1&hilite=beatles

... steaks grilling on red oak.

The smell of the moist rich black soil on the first planting day in the spring. (sigh), I miss spring and summer already....

and when we have over night guests, waking up to the smell of coffee brewing always reminds me of my childhood home. ( we don't drink coffee ourselves)

Hmmmmmmm....

Vineyards around harvest time.
A California Redwood grove after a rain.
Freshly picked maile vine.
Tuberose still on the stem.
Newly mown grass.

Do I hear Julie Andrews singing "A Few of my Favorite Things" in the background?

For me it's puppy breath.

For the Mr. it's a brand new box of Crayola Crayons. Try to NOT look like a pervert in the school supply section sniffing crayon boxes.

T

for me the best is:
Green soap
old books

J
john posted on Mon, Dec 5, 2005 1:35 PM

new car, an tire air

MR

Pork just pulled from an imu.

Pages: 1 20 replies