Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

my 2 cocktail random thoughts

Pages: 1 3 replies

First off, I have to thank Scispy for sending me a copy of Bartender's Guide by Trader Vic. Thank you, thank you, thank you! So tonight I decided to try a Bacardi Silver Cocktail. I liked it so much I had another. A combination of the drinks, a long mind-numbing day at work, and reading my new book put me in a strange, melancholy mood.

Most of you probably now this, but at what point did Trader Vic become associated with tiki? The book, written in 1947, doesn't have much by the way of "tiki" drinks. Was Hinky Dinks what we would call a tiki bar? When was Hinky Dinks first opened, and when did he begin opening other restaurants? I guess I'd really like to know more about Trader Vic. Is there any kind of Trader Vic biography? Pointing me in the direction of more info would be kind of you.

Many of the recipes in the book use Bacardi rum. Do you think there is a big difference between the Bacardi that was being produced in the 40's and the kind that is mass produced today?

My dad claims to have been drunk on a bottle of Cruzan Black Strap when he was in the Navy. I know Cruzan has existed for decades, but I always assumed Black Strap was a modern thing. Am I wrong, or is my dad wrong?

Has anyone ever had a liqueur called Swedish Punch? I'm just wondering what it tasted like.

Ok, I'm done for now. I'm thinking of moving on the the Pancho Villa Cocktail, so I might talk to you soon. Or maybe not. :wink: :drink:

Thank you for listening to my anoying questions. I now return you to your regularly scheduled reading.

T

On 2005-11-29 16:43, finkdaddy wrote:
Most of you probably now this, but at what point did Trader Vic become associated with tiki? The book, written in 1947, doesn't have much by the way of "tiki" drinks. Was Hinky Dinks what we would call a tiki bar? When was Hinky Dinks first opened, and when did he begin opening other restaurants? I guess I'd really like to know more about Trader Vic. Is there any kind of Trader Vic biography? Pointing me in the direction of more info would be kind of you.

Many of the recipes in the book use Bacardi rum. Do you think there is a big difference between the Bacardi that was being produced in the 40's and the kind that is mass produced today?

My dad claims to have been drunk on a bottle of Cruzan Black Strap when he was in the Navy. I know Cruzan has existed for decades, but I always assumed Black Strap was a modern thing. Am I wrong, or is my dad wrong?

Has anyone ever had a liqueur called Swedish Punch? I'm just wondering what it tasted like.

Fine questions.

1. Start with the Book of Tiki's Trader Vic chapter. I think Hinky Dink's would now be classified as pre-Tiki - nautical and tropical but not a lot of tiki, which came a bit later with the influence of tiki in pop culture like South Pacific, the book and movie, and Thor Hyerdal's books. Bigrotiki can give you the definitive answer. I think there's a Vic autobiography that he wrote in the 70s but I don't have a copy.

2. Bacardi before Castro was made in Cuba, and it was the standard clear rum, which is why so many recipes called for it. When Castro took over it became Havana Club, abd Bacardi moved operations to Puerto Rico. By comparing the taste now I like to believe that Bacardi used to taste like Havana Club does now.

3. I don't know, but I bet he had an awful hangover!

4. Never had Swedish Punch but have seen it in cocktail books. I'm afraid it may have become extinct like Forbidden Fruit liqueur.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Nov 29, 2005 9:43 PM

Finky - your a bit eager arent you? Have you finished that bar of yours yet? And your already looking up cocktails?

On 2005-11-29 16:43, finkdaddy wrote:
Is there any kind of Trader Vic biography?

It's called "Frankly speaking - Trader Vic's story" and I've seen copies on Ebay from time to time.
also available from Alibris Link
My understanding is that Vic wasn't doing too well at Hinky Dink's (being a regular dime-a-dozen salloon) and after the succes of Don the Beachcomber, decided to "go Polynesian" and so Trader Vics (and the Mai Tai) was born...right here in Oakland,Ca !!

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - Shortened link for word-wrapping purposes - 2005-12-09 20:44 ]

Pages: 1 3 replies