Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

chicago trader vics...now the good news....

Pages: 1 2 86 replies

Opening in October! Really!

http://randomcha.livejournal.com/402026.html

And I also found this: http://chicago.everyblock.com/business-licenses/by-date/2008/4/8/734041/

Exciting news! Looks like the real deal this time.

A

The photos of the Chicago restaurant on the TV web site look great:

http://www.tradervics.com

On 2008-07-31 09:51, arriano wrote:
The photos of the Chicago restaurant on the TV web site look great:

Are those really pictures of the Chicago TV's? I saw those pictures and thought "that looks exactly like the inside of the Dallas Trader Vic's."

K
Kahu posted on Thu, Jul 31, 2008 1:15 PM

Ah, yeah, those are from Dallas. Hoping that by showing those pics, that is the look they are going for.

crap, cant wait...this is some good news i was looking forward to.

We got this email this morning from Erik at Trader Vic's Coporate in SF.

Hey Dave and Coalbe...

Here's an update on TV Chicago.

The last I heard it will be late September / early October for re-opening
of TV Chicago. Sorry I can't be more specific than that.

I do of course have your email address and will be happy to let you know
when we know exact opening date, won't be too long now.

Thanks again !

Kindest regards, as always...

ERIK CORPORATE OFFICE
SAN FRANCISCO

Erik Heggen
Exec Assistant, Corp Office
tel : 415-927-9788
fax: 415-927-9688
999 Fifth Ave., Suite 590
San Rafael, CA 94901

..great.....

.....wake me up when it gets here....

K

One step closer to reality...the tikis are in place:

Aren't these from the original Palmer House location?

Pronounced keh-NEE-kay

[ Edited by: Kenike 2008-09-14 13:19 ]

C

On 2008-09-14 13:17, Kenike wrote:
One step closer to reality...the tikis are in place:

Aren't these from the original Palmer House location?

Pronounced keh-NEE-kay

[ Edited by: Kenike 2008-09-14 13:19 ]

Yes, it is from the original location.
Word from Vic's is that he was going to hold a "coming soon" sign prior to the opening, but looks like no sign at this point.
Thanks for posting the pics!

F

Kenike beat me to it, I took these pictures this morning. I'm doing a job right down the block.

B

That's the original Barney West moai. Nice to see him again, but I hope he does not get ruined. If I'm not mistaken, he is wood– and being outside, exposed to the elements and on the ground like that could cause him to deteriorate. I'd hate for that to happen to that great piece.

-Duke

..i dunno...that thing has about 100 coats of varnish on him by now...and if you recall, he was outside the palmer house in the wind, rain and snow, on a wet sidewalk for a long time before they closed the place down....i think he's gonna be okay....

[ Edited by: tipsy mcstagger 2008-09-15 19:11 ]

T

Warms the cockles of my heart to see that guy out there keeping Chicago exotic.

The tropical monsoon we had over the weekend helps too...!

"late November".

and

"Harry Caray's deal fell through."

Maybe they weren't selling enough Mai Tai to the sportos at Harry Caray's to give them confidence in the venture?

T

Okay, here's the deal.

Just got off the phone with the new General Manager of Trader Vic's in Chicago.

The Harry Caray's deal did fall through.

The people responsible for revitalizing the Vic's in Dallas have picked up the ball.

This is good news - they did a great job with Dallas.

Construction on the interior begins this week, and ought to take 6 to 7 weeks.

They are looking at opening Thanksgiving weekend, possibly.

No firm date yet, but this project is definitely, finally, moving forward, and we WILL be enjoying mai tais there before the year is over.

yay!

G

Not to be cynical, but the guy who runs the Destin Trader Vic's was also in on the Dallas restoration. And you can see how Destin turned out. I'll wish for the best.

On 2008-09-30 15:22, GatorRob wrote:
Not to be cynical, but the guy who runs the Destin Trader Vic's was also in on the Dallas restoration. And you can see how Destin turned out. I'll wish for the best.

Mmmmm... well there's the history of TV in Chicago... let's hope that has guided them to design this one more traditional than an ultra lounge. I'll wish for the best.

Think positive people!

Avoid the negative waves!

Think the new TV's will open soon and be great and it will be there, a mother beautiful TV's.

Has anyone heard of an opening date yet? Anyone get any sneak peeks? The decorating has begun, yes?

[ Edited by: Bongo Bungalow 2008-11-05 06:22 ]

T

Opening day is still slated for the end of this month.
No firm date yet.

I have been invited down for a preview, and told my contacts that I would prefer to wait until the interior is finished. They are going to let me know when it gets close to being done.

Full report in a few weeks after I take them up on their invite.

It was like looking into Santa's workshop Friday. :)

That's all I'm saying.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2008-11-08 00:43 ]

On 2008-11-05 07:45, tikibars wrote:
Opening day is still slated for the end of this month.
No firm date yet.

I have been invited down for a preview, and told my contacts that I would prefer to wait until the interior is finished. They are going to let me know when it gets close to being done.

Full report in a few weeks after I take them up on their invite.

sounds like lake surfer beat you to it.........

T

No worries, it is not a competition - I want to wait to see it when it is close to being done.
And that day is rapidly approaching...!

Trader Vic's in Chicago finally has a new website. No more "OPENING SOON". I may be a little slow, but I think it's a brand new webpage. No pics, and only a menu...but it's so nice to see something.

http://www.tradervicschicago.com/

[ Edited by: chicagotiki 2008-11-10 08:28 ]

Ok, so I led on to more than I actually saw :wink:, but what I did see made me super stoked that this Vic's is going in the right direction! At least to the naked eye from a "man on the street" view. You can walk in the front door to the condo tower and peek through the atrium to see most of the new Vic's from the windows. The windows are a little concerning, but they do look upon the tropical garden.

I had biz in Chicago again today so I went on anther little recon. Its harder to see everything in photos than it is to see it all in person.

The garden through the front door of the condo tower.

Vic's front door. There is also a door from Vic's to the garden.

In this shot, you can see rolls of matting, a bamboo and lauhala ceiling and the head of a massive Ku tiki.

A really bad photo of anothor one of the Ku in the back and a drum shaped tiki. I've never seen these Ku before, but they look super cool.

Another shot of the two long walls of windows that look out into the atrium.

Good to see the this guy back again!

There was a lot of construction going on inside, it looks like they are going to town on the interior, and the stacks of boo and matting, the large tikis and even a spied Gope Board are all good signs.

But for now I wait like the rest of you in great anticipation!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2008-11-11 22:40 ]

..not long now....

http://chicagoist.com/2008/11/12/trader_vics_almost_here.php

hey lake!!!....try to keep from snotting up all the windows!!

..those better not be current photos.....otherwise they are way behind if they plan on opening early december......

So is there a Tiki Central gathering in the works yet? I might try to head up there for New Years Eve at TV if they get it open!

On 2008-11-27 20:58, SouthBamaTiki wrote:
So is there a Tiki Central gathering in the works yet? I might try to head up there for New Years Eve at TV if they get it open!

..my sources say they will be open for new years....check out bamboolodges thread about chef shangri-la and a possible new years day field trip to the traders....it would be a good weekend for you to come to chicago as there will be much tiki activity....

K
Kenike posted on Mon, Dec 1, 2008 1:45 PM

I'll be in Chicago with family on December 22... so it might not be open yet???? How can they be so loose with the opening at this point? I've opened a few restaurants and you lose a lot of money monkeying around like this. Not the least of which involves employees being trained and not having work to do... so they leave you for someone else! Sheez!

I just got off the phone with Chicago Trader Vic's. The gentleman who answered told me they will likely be ready for opening this Saturday or Sunday (although they are not really taking reservations because construction is expected to last until the minute they open). He said they might start taking reservations as early as next week, and that they should be on opentable in January. Knock on bamboo, but it seems like this might really be happening! As a guy who went to the "Passing the Tiki Torch" event two years ago when the Palmer House TV closed, I am one super-psyched Mai Tai-craving S.O.B. Also, can't wait to try the "Chicago Trader," which I think is the new drink for the new location.

Reedalong, that's great news! First ones in, take and post pictures for everyone else. I'll be in town on the 20th and take a few... and drink a few...

..when i'm sitting at the bar with mai tai in hand...that' when i know it's officially open.....no point in getting all excited till then since we have been jerked around by this opening for over a year now......

the site says opening monday the 15th...which means any vip parties would be saturday and or sunday prior....if they were to have them at all.

now just have to hurry up and wait....

..and bongo....the 20th is the 3rd saturday at the chef shangri-la event (see bamboolodges post).....hope you find time to stop in and see us on the 20th before you head to the traders.....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-12-11 05:22 ]

Dear Loyal Trader Vic's Fans....

All of you have emailed us at some point ( some of you going back to 2005
! ) inquiring as to when the new Trader Vic's would be opening in Chicago.

Each time I responded to you upon receipt of your email, I promised I would
save your email address and let you know the opening date. And here it
is...Trader Vic's is opening officially in the Newberry Plaza in Chicago on:

SUNDAY DECEMBER 14th

contact information:

TRADER VIC'S CHICAGO
1030 N. State Street
Chicago 60610
tel: 312 - 642 - 6500
email: TRADERVICSCHICAGO.COM

We are very excited and thrilled to be opening a Trader Vic's in one of the
truly great cities. There's no city like Chicago in the whole world ( and
this is a New Yorker speaking ). For those of you who used to visit us in the
Palmer House, you will see that the big incredible Tiki that was in the front
of the old restaurant, is now at home in front of the new location, waiting
to welcome all of you.

Please drop by for a fabulous Trader Vic's dinner and some world-famous
Trader Vic's drinks and have a great time, the kind of fun you can only
experience at Trader Vic's. Tell all your friends and come help make it a great
success !

THANKS FOR FOR YOU PATIENCE AND LOYALTY !

Kindest regards,

ERIK Trader Vic's Corporate Office San
Francisco

Erik Heggen
Exec Assistant, Corp Office
tel : 415-927-9788
fax: 415-927-9688
999 Fifth Ave., Suite 590
San Rafael, CA 94901
www.tradervics.com (http://www.tradervics.com/)

dare we start planning a sunday late afternoon/ early evening excursion???...anyone??

N

On 2008-12-11 13:46, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
dare we start planning a sunday late afternoon/ early evening excursion???...anyone??

I'm in! I think I also might be able to coax albino tiki into tagging along. :wink:

Pages: 1 2 86 replies