M
mbanu posted on Fri, Dec 2, 2005 12:07 AM

1 ounce 151-proof rum
1 ounce heavy cream
1 ounce Grand Marnier
1 ounce sherry
1 ounce orgeat

Shake and strain.

Anyone else have tiki recipes well-suited to the colder temperatures? I admit my tiki mugs haven't been getting as much use in the last month or so.

When I'm looking for something to cut through the chill, a good ol' reliable Hot Buttered Rum always does the trick. If you've got a Trader Vic's skull mug, all the better.

Mix up the batter:
1 lb. brown sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
(all spices ground. of course!)
Mix up and keep in fridge. Dissolve about 1 to 1-1/2 tbsp in mug of hot water. Add 1 to 1-1/2 ounces Myers's dark rum. Take a deep whiff of that bouquet - mmmm, if that don't smell like Christmas...

My second favorite:
1 big mug hot coffee
3/4 oz. Kahlua
1-1/2 oz. gold tequila
Dollop of cream or whole milk
I've encountered considerable initial skepticism about this one, when I offer it on a cold day at the marina - tequila in coffee?! But they always ask for a second.

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2007-01-11 06:40 ]

P

On 2007-01-11 06:39, Limbo Lizard wrote:
When I'm looking for something to cut through the chill, a good ol' reliable Hot Buttered Rum always does the trick. If you've got a Trader Vic's skull mug, all the better.

Mix up the batter:
1 lb. brown sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
(all spices ground. of course!)
Mix up and keep in fridge. Dissolve about 1 to 1-1/2 tbsp in mug of hot water. Add 1 to 1-1/2 ounces Myers's dark rum. Take a deep whiff of that bouquet - mmmm, if that don't smell like Christmas...

Sounds tasty. Usually I just use the Trader Vic's batter but it is fun making your own.

My second favorite:
1 big mug hot coffee
3/4 oz. Kahlua
1-1/2 oz. gold tequila
Dollop of cream or whole milk
I've encountered considerable initial skepticism about this one, when I offer it on a cold day at the marina - tequila in coffee?! But they always ask for a second.

Available at most Mexican restaurants as a Mexican Coffee. I love these, although I must admit that I like an Irish Coffee more.

WoooHooo! How about a Girl Scout Cookie:

*Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Snapps :)

On 2007-01-11 19:14, WooHooWahine wrote:
WoooHooo! How about a Girl Scout Cookie:

*Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Snapps :)  

That's what me and my best friend's wives like. Unusual, because my wife generally has an aversion to sweet cocktails or to alcohol in hot drinks. With women, chocolate changes all the rules, I guess. (OK, I'll admit I like this one, too... but in a manly way.)

Another cold weather drink I like: hot Dr. Pepper, with a lemon slice and a splash of bourbon or Southern Comfort. My wife hates this one - "too sweet, alcohol goes up your nose, why waste good bourbon", she says.

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2007-01-12 07:56 ]

These do sound tasty. Since posting, I've been thinking about creating something akin to a hot spiced cider (with rum, natch), but possibly using some more exotic nectars to give it that tiki touch. I'll report back with my findings.

Another tasty treat is a mug of hot chocolate with a shot (or so) of Grand Marnier.
Mmmmmmmm...
Aloha,
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale 2007-01-14 09:14 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies