Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

PJ's Katrina Mug... the results are in!

Pages: 1 22 replies

M

Unbelievable! Let me say that TC REALLY stepped up to the plate here. Probably even more than I can say as I only know a portion of you by your actual names. This was a major success on so many levels.

The most important thing though is the bottom line and what this has done to help out one of our Ohana who needs our help the most. I'm happy to report that we sold a total of 604 mugs and that PJ will shortly be receiving a check in the amount of $8,039.24!!

Thank you to everybody who participated in the sale. I'm pretty blown away and very proud to be part of the TC Ohana.

Mahaloz!!!!!
Holden

A

WOOHOO!! Oh yeah, oh yeah, TC-ers rock!

But we couldn't have done it without YOUR generosity and support, Holden and everybody else at Tiki Farm!

:::Big Group Hug to YOU and YOUR POSSE!:::

amiotiki

[ Edited by: amiotiki 2005-12-03 14:01 ]

P

On 2005-12-03 13:34, smogbreather wrote:

PJ will shortly be receiving a check in the amount of $8,039.24!!

Wow! That is amazing and I am so happy to hear it. It is probably only a fraction of what she needs given the scale of her loss, but I hope it helps and can at least get her back on the path of recovery.

It is am excellent mug and everyone involved did a wonderful job on it. I am looking forward to getting mine.

I'll have a couple mugs now that will always have a special meaning and value attached to them, and PJ will get a considerable increment of help piecing things together. Thanks again for your investment in this fine win-win project, Holden.

This is wonderful news! I am so glad to see the TC ohana step up to the plate when needed. This is why above all else that friends can and do make a difference. The spirit of aloha is alive here! A big thank you to Holden for putting this all together.

Jeff

B

All I can say is THANK YOU Holden. It is an Awesome thing you have put together to help one of our own ohana.
Mahalos all around.

Thank you Holden for doing this. This will help lift some spirits,.....and then,.....we can lift some more. :) :drink:

K

Fantikitastic! I am very excited for PJ to know that some help is on the way with thanks to you Holden!

B
Bete posted on Mon, Jan 2, 2006 10:38 AM

I bought one, I was very impressed by the fact it went to benefit hurricane Katrina relief, that's really awesome that 604 of them sold in that 48 hour period, WOW!

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 5:25 AM

Awesome work Holden! I know you worked ya behind off to make that happen - all for no profit off your own. Awesome. Now take a break and get some lunch!

P
pablus posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 4:13 PM

I just wanted to weigh in on this and say what a tremendous thing it is.
This is truly something worthy of the words "ohana" and "aloha."

I'm proud to be associated with this group.

But uhhh... I was out of the country when all these sales were going on and I didn't get one.
I need one of these for "my mug collection."

How can I get one?

P
pablus posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 5:21 PM

The power of mana.
Thanks DawnTiki!

A trade was made: Crazed Mugs for Purple-Glazed Mug!

Mahalo DawnTiki!!!

D

Silly Boy! You were getting the mug weather you offered me the CD or not. I ordered 2 extra Katrina mugs just for an occasion like this.
I just got lucky and you made me an offer I couldn't refuse :wink:
A Katrina mug and a Crazed Mugs CD... definitely a win, win... lucky for me it was a no brainer!
Mahalo Pablus!

T

YAAAAAAAAHOOOOZLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They grow good humans down at Tiki Farm :)

Can't wait to see the wonderful PURPLE mug...hmm. I'll put it next to a GREEN one maybe! Or red, heehee.

xoxox tikivixen

WooHoo! Soccer Tiki and I got a sneak peek of PJ Katrina Mug.
They look TIKI-rrific!!

T

Got mine today. So beautiful. Great work all around.

T

Mine just arrived!!! So happeeee...I'm waiting to open them and enjoying the anticipation :wink:

Got my pair on Fat Tuesday... so we made a batch of mai tais and celebrated. The curve of the hurricane is perfect to keep the lime shell from floating to the top of the glass when taking a gulp. Excellent design, great weight, feels good in your hand. Thanks again to Holden and PJ! My new favorite tiki mug.......

• Myke
R
rupe33 posted on Fri, Mar 3, 2006 9:42 PM

They've made it to Maryland.... #50 for us and #51 are belated holiday gifts. Thanks! They're beautiful and am glad to know it helped out a member of the ohana.

Best,
Rupe

Ours arrived last Friday, set #69 for us, and #59 for our pals Duke & Amy. The mugs are way cool! Thanks again to Holden and the whole gang at the Farm for stepping up! PJ, we are so glad we were able to help, and thanks, you designed a great mug, with a huge message!
Peace Out,
Dave & Coalbe

S

Another Marylander checking in- ours also made it safe and sound- (excellent job packing, MAHALO!)

PJ, these may be some of my most treasured mugs ever- they mean a lot to us!

Deep meaning, obviously on an emotional level, for many many reasons. Yet even beyond the feelings we hold toward them, the design is simply gorgeous, too, in it's own right. Anyone who knows anything about Mardi Gras, N'awlins, and proper glassware design for the appropriate "h" word drink, would have to be mighty impressed by how the design so embodies all of it! As a fellow artist, I hope designing these brought some help to the hurt.

I tend not to try to let the hard and sad parts of the 'real world' enter the Lounge too much, but these are not only about the real world, they are about our real world Ohana, they are a very important project not only because they have been able to provide some concrete help, but also as they sit in our spaces as reminders to continue to help both our Ohana and those we've never met.

I think this project says a lot about the Tiki community and shows a certain 'coming of age' here. Not too get all sappy, but I'm very proud to be part of a community like this- when it's bad, we do what we can to help.

Purple Jade & Tiki Farmers, I know a lot of heart and soul, thought, serious design work, and REAL hard work getting these out so fast went into these! I mean think about it, in less than 6 months PJ's vision has become a ceramic reality! Unbelievable!

I know that all this can barely make a dent, and trust me, having other friends down there and from the coast, I know a little about how ongoing this is- how this is not over at all. But I have to say, here as we pass the six month milestone, your twin messages of "remember" and "rebuild" are really important, and in some small way, they help.

MAHALO!

Very well said Sabina!!

S

Thanks-

I get very emotional, and perhaps even sappy I suppose, but OakTiki and I are very tied to N'awlins and the gulf coast, through our friends (some of whom came out of all this better than others of our friends), through our various trips through the years (i.e for deep love of the places), as well as relating to the work we do.

But also, because we knew so much about how this was not only predictable, but predicted- one of our friends in N'awlins was doing graduate environmental sociology work on the history of the levies long before all this and let me tell you, understanding the topiography of the city through her eyes a few years back, we shuddered to even think!

We have spent time traveling through Louisiana's ever diminishing wetlands, done plenty of long driving across the gulf coast, from FL to TX, and spent just enough time off the well worn tourist routes in the N'awlins proper to have just a glimmer of an inkling of just some of what has now been lost forever.

So the minute we saw the storm track, we had a real good idea of what it could mean. We were still on the road on our cross Country trip when it hit, and we were holed up in a hotel room near the upper end of the Mississippi glued to the net and TV.

Marylanders also hold a certain historical relation to the Acadians (who later go on to be called the 'Cajuns') as after their initial departure from Canada, some Acadians migrated through Maryland (the parting was not necessarily amicable) before eventually finding their 'New Acadia' and setting in . So I guess you could say, those of us who spend way too much time looking at history see certain connections there too. Ironically, now after the storm, some Louisiana Cajuns have come to Maryland whether as 'company' or to make new permanent homes here.

So yeah, emotionally connected, and again, very proud and happy to see TC doing what it can to help. And our friends from Tiki Farm have gone above and beyond! I'll be raising a very special 'glass' to Purple Jade soon, complete with some Pat O'Brien's "h" word mix we brought back from our last trip prior to the storm and some New Orleans Rum.

All that, and well, I'm a born and raised Yankee who's learned the wonderous virtues of making a roux.

Pages: 1 22 replies