Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Awesome Tiki Dress...info. needed, esp Disney people

Pages: 1 15 replies

E
eel posted on Tue, Dec 6, 2005 9:25 AM

I found this dress last weekend, it has the most amazing print I've ever seen...very Disney like. Tiki shields, skulls on bamboo and piles of skulls, there is even a "Trader Sam" like headhunter peeking out from behind one shield.

The tag says "the Kahala" but I was told there is a shirt out there with the same print but with a Disney tag. Did Disney ever use "the Kahala" for uniforms or products? any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Laney
Save the eel

Yeah, uh, the Kahala line stopped when the owner visited King Tut's tomb AND bought the Hope Diamond and died mysteriously and horribly. Something about tornadoes, flesh-eating bacteria and a pissed-off ex-girlfriend. In fact, all that he owned and produced brings bad luck. I advise you to ditch that dress immediately.

I'll take it off your hands for you, kind soul that I am.

(GwwwwaaaaaaaawwwwwD! That is the FI-nest print!!)

That print is so nice i would happily wear it and be a tiki-transvestite.

Wow, congratulations on a fantastic find Laney!
That print is a dream come true.

On 2005-12-06 11:13, atomictonytiki wrote:

i was first, ask unga bunga :)

excellent score ell laney!

hugs, j$

OL

Incredibly awesome. What size is it? I would love to have a dress like that.

E
eel posted on Tue, Dec 6, 2005 2:07 PM

On 2005-12-06 13:21, ookoo lady wrote:
Incredibly awesome. What size is it? I would love to have a dress like that.

It's MY size! hehehe But seriously it fits like a glove. As I was trying it on I noticed some selvage by the zipper. It says "W.E.D. Enterprises 1964" Is that Walt Disney? Anyone? Anyone?
I was told there was a shirt with this print on ebay but have been unable to find it.

T

Amazing find Laney!

Next time you are at Disneyland, pay close attention to the shields Rolly Crump designed up on the walls of the Tiki Room facade - that's what the pattern is based on. Not to mention all the cool "ooga booga" natives & skull piles from the Jungle Cruise! It really is a "Tiki Room/Jungle Cruise" shirt.

W.E.D. is the former name of Walt Disney Imagineering, and they made a few items for sale in Adventureland when the Tiki Room opened in 1964. I had a bolt of this cloth that I gave to Kevin Kidney (it wasn't enough to make a shirt out of)... But having the actual dress or shirt is soooooo much better!

Congratulations on a rare rare rare find!

On 2005-12-06 12:38, Johnny Dollar wrote:

On 2005-12-06 11:13, atomictonytiki wrote:

i was first, ask unga bunga :)
excellent score ell laney!
hugs, j$

Congrats Eel!
(Sorry about this old photo on your thread)

Wow, I've never seen it that close! It's an Adventureland print, with that warrior behind one of the shields, and those skulls! Tres cool! And that little green Tiki, isn't he from the Tiki room fountain that you got a mold from, Tang?

T

On 2005-12-07 07:11, bigbrotiki wrote:
And that little green Tiki, isn't he from the Tiki room fountain that you got a mold from, Tang?

Yes - it is a Rolly Crump sculpt from one of the 4 panels of the centerpiece fountain. We were lucky enough to borow one of the originals that got ripped out from the Florida show... Here are some photos for those who are interested:

http://www.christophermerritt.com/Blog/tikimoldproject.jpg
http://www.christophermerritt.com/Blog/tikimoldproject2.jpg

What's interesting is that I always thought he was based on a New Guinea design...but here he is clearly depicted with a Maori body, almost like a Jade Hei-Tiki. Oh that whacky Polynesian pop!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2005-12-08 09:14 ]

M

Here's a shirt that sold on eBay a couple of years ago. It sold for $255 and I was not the buyer. I kept the image files because I thought it was such a cool design. Same fabric graphics but possibly a very slightly differnt color combo. Notice the Disneyland label on this one...

or here is one up for bid right now.

ModMana :drink:

[ Edited by: modmana 2005-12-13 10:47 ]

S
SES posted on Sun, Dec 25, 2005 6:17 PM

Fantastic! So do you plan on wearing this or selling it and buying a new car with the proceeds?
If you do wear it you better not drink too many Mai Tai's at any tiki events. You might wake up naked.
:D

F

My wife has that same dress- I'm pretty sure it was the same cut as in your pic.. she had it altered to modernize it a little and its really sweet.

Disney tag, same as yours. We think it was something maybe some employees wore? I dunno. You dont see that fabric as much as the other Tiki Room one.

Hi

I just bought this dress sold as 60's Disney 'tropical'. It hasn't arrived in the post yet but I'm stoked to have bought it! Can anyone confirm the date of the print for me?

Thanks!

Pages: 1 15 replies