Jan 14th, 2006: South Florida Tiki Jam!

Pages: 1 46 replies

L
Loki posted on Thu, Dec 8, 2005 10:01 AM

Jan 14th. South Florida Tiki Jam!

"He who does anything because it is the custom makes no choice."

[ Edited by: Loki 2005-12-11 17:30 ]

[ Edited by: Loki 2005-12-28 07:40 ]

I would love to... but... I'm taking the family to Grinchmas at Universal that weekend.

B

Sounds like a great idea for now, I'll have to chesk the calander for that day.
Great Idea!

L
Loki posted on Thu, Dec 8, 2005 4:57 PM

Aloha, sorry to miss you, but we'll do it again for sure...

GMAN that would be cool if you could make the trip...

Hope you can make it Ben, i have a clean driveway just begging to be messed up with chips...

L
Loki posted on Sun, Dec 11, 2005 5:33 PM

Ok, South Florida Tiki carvers. Because of the Holidays, were going to postpone the carving session until Jan 14th. Mark your calendars and RSVP me. We need to make this thing happen.

Gman is making a big trip to be with us, and i have lots of rum just waiting to be consumed.

Looking forward to a great new year of tiki carving.

"He who does anything because it is the custom makes no choice."

[ Edited by: Loki 2005-12-11 17:34 ]

Sounds like lots of Fun! I'll see if I can talk the wahine into coming along!

L
Loki posted on Sun, Dec 11, 2005 6:06 PM

Chip and Andy,
Sounds great. Hope you can make it.

B

Keep this current so I won't forget. I WANT to BE There. So far it loooks greeat. You have a big stack of logs??

L
Loki posted on Sat, Dec 24, 2005 5:15 PM

Ben, sounds great. we are looking forward to this like crazy...we do indeed have a stack of tikis trapped in some logs just begging to get out...

looks like Gman is making the trip too...get on Mooney and drag him along...

This is going to be fun..

Have a great holiday.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 24, 2005 7:53 PM

Loki,

It still looks good for me. Whattaya have for wood in yer pile?

-Gman

Dam you must know my schedule cause I want to attend but my schedule. always seem to full. keep posting and I am sure we will hook up .

L
Loki posted on Wed, Dec 28, 2005 7:39 AM

sorry about that PalmCity... I'm hoping we can do this on a regular basis.

So, just a reminder to everyone. Jan 14th.
PM me so i can get you directions and answer any questions or take suggestions.

B

Looks like Jimmy Mooney has to work the 14th so I may need another ride.
Loki, do you have any Coconut palm?
What types of logs do you have in that wood pile?
PM me with your address so I can get a map from Mapquest?
Is it the 14th yet?

Count me in as the curious observer and willing rum server. :drink:

Loki is about to receive a procurement of El Dorado 5 year , imported from "the Conch Republic." If anyone wants any other special shipment that are obscure or findable in FL, please do let me know.

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2006-01-03 12:23 ]

bump.

C'mon S. Florida ohana. This is a fab oppurtunity.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 3, 2006 6:26 PM

Benz,

I'll find a way to swing by and pick you up. I'm looking forward to this....

-Gman

B
L
Loki posted on Sun, Jan 8, 2006 5:24 PM

bump

H
Helz posted on Tue, Jan 10, 2006 2:50 PM

I would absolutely LOVE to attend...especally since it's right in my playground.

But, alas, the wahine and I have a prior engagment.

My best to all and I hope to see some pics of the event. (and to get an opportunity to meet more of you!)

-Helz

B

Looks like GMAN and I will be there. What time should we show?

L
Loki posted on Tue, Jan 10, 2006 7:31 PM

Whenever you get here...we'll have food for you road hungry travelers...looking forward to this.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jan 13, 2006 10:16 AM

Loki,

I'm bringing my saw and probably shouldn't work over your driveway as I sling a lot of oil. Can you find me a nice spot where I can work in the grass and not mess up your yard? I can also not bring/use the saw and just do fine work on the Maori. I thought I might start on a new log while own there.... Any thoughts?

-Gman

L
Loki posted on Fri, Jan 13, 2006 10:30 AM

Gman, Bring what ever you need, we can accomodate.

Drive safe.

J

You guys have fun down there! Remember us cold folks up north. It's supposed to snow this weekend. Be sure to post lots of pictures.

JP

I'll be there some time after noon with wood in tow. Is noon OK. Can't stay all day but I look forward to meeting other carvers in the area. If anyone is interested I have some nice palm logs - sabal, fan, and coconut - as well as some mahogany. This hurrican season has been very generous!

L
Loki posted on Fri, Jan 13, 2006 3:14 PM

AS, sounds great. We will be starting around 10ish so come when you can. Bring as much wood as you want.

H
Helz posted on Fri, Jan 13, 2006 6:25 PM

As it turns out, I might have a little time available tomorrow and would love to drop by to watch for a bit if you don't mind having an audience. I promise to stay out of the way, and could sweep up if you need. :wink:

L
Loki posted on Sat, Jan 14, 2006 12:55 AM

Good news Helz, check your PM.

J

Come on it's 4:00 pm already ! Where are the pictures?
JP

B

I don't have pictures but I DID have FUN The food was Excellent, the wood chips were flying and it seemed like everyone was having a great time. The Hosts wer Fantastic, thank you guys SO Much. Sorry we had to leave so soon, but next time will stay longer, there Will be a Next time right Loki??? Wait till you see pictures!!!

L
Loki posted on Sat, Jan 14, 2006 4:07 PM

Ben, What can i say...you and Gman were outstanding...This was the BEST day at LOKIs ever...were still playing so more to come as we post pics....all can say it this MUST happen again...what a group of TC characters ever assembled...get ready..pics coming soon....

[ Edited by: Loki 2006-01-23 16:38 ]

L
Loki posted on Sat, Jan 14, 2006 4:07 PM

[ Edited by: Loki 2006-01-14 16:08 ]

H
Helz posted on Sat, Jan 14, 2006 5:53 PM

Thanks to all for letting me come out and watch! It was a great, great day. And thanks to your encouragement, I just got back from Sears with my first set of chisels. I'll post pics of my progress.

And I cannot say enough about Loki and his wife. They were the most amazing hosts and it was truly an honor and a privilege to get to enjoy their hospitality. By far, one of the best Tiki experiences of my life.

I need to do some cropping, but I'll have a couple pictures up very soon.

(and my wahine passes along her regrets, and looks forward to meeting you all soon)

Thanks again!

-Helz

On 2006-01-14 16:07, Loki wrote:
all can say it this MUST happen again

Glad to see a good time was had . HMMMMMM , how about febuary 25 or march 5-8 . I will be in the area.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jan 14, 2006 6:58 PM

Hey all,

I just made it home. Ten hours of driving and 6 hours of GREAT fun at Loki's! I had a great time, met lots of TCers, got to hang with Benz, eat great food, and left with a groovy 2006 Tiki Jam mug too!

Ben gave a wicked Moko workshop and left his signature moves all over my Maori. Check the pics! Thanks Ben!

I was able to pinch a log from Loki's stash and bust out a Gman tiki for the Loki tiki garden. I hope they enjoy it.

This was, by far, the greatest group carving session I have ever been to. Thanks to all who participated and especially to Loki and StumpGrinder for welcoming us, feeding us, and putting all this together. I can't wait for my next invite!

Anyone within driving distance needs to hit the Jam the next time it is held!

-Gman

L
Loki posted on Sat, Jan 14, 2006 7:10 PM

GMAM. You are a class act....and a true talent...This was overkill fun....Attention all TC'ers....Host a carving party....you will meet great people, wondrful talent and friends for a life time....

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 05:30:41 ]

J

Great pictures Gman. This looks like it was great fun and hopefully the first of many! I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures. I have to live vicariously you know.
JP

JEAL-OUS!

Looks like a great time! Thanks for sharing the pics, G-Man.

Josh

A very big Mahalo to our host and hostess, the food, the drink , the house, your dog with the tounge thing...... Amazing!

Opening your house, your bar, and your tool box, was much appreciated and enjoyed. Spending time with everyone, and getting to see Benzart do his magic sharpening thing in person!

Tikilicious getting the feel for the angle grinder.....

Buster, and the ghost of Pac-Man.....?.........

Ben putting some moku on Gmans marque

Loki had a powerchisel attachement for his angle grinder. Loved that little attachement and gotta get me one!

Gman almost lost his foot on this one. He has taking down a line for Tikilicious and she looks at the crowd and points at the saw and says "Is that hard to do?" Everyone starts laughing not at the question, but the implied tone behind it of "Honey, can I have a a chainsaw for christmas?" We all decided that was going to be the quote of the day.

For those that didn't make it, you missed a good time. Loki and his wahine put on an amazing event and I am seriously hoping that I get an invite for the next time!

Oh, and when we made it home that night, guess what was in the mail box? The new Treeline catalog! The wahine tried to wrestle it away from me..... (she lost!)

A few more pictures can be found here: http://www.ealoli.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=35&page=1

Wow , great photos. I am sooooo jealous.

Mahalo for sharing.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jan 15, 2006 4:50 PM

Chip and Andy,

Thanks for posting the pics. It was great meeting you guys. Any word form Helz and his pics?

-Gman

L
Loki posted on Sun, Jan 15, 2006 5:27 PM

Sorry i havent posted my pics yet, but i was carving golf ball head all day...i will try and get mine up tomorrow..

Wanted to says that it was great meeting the S.FL TCers and hope that we can do this again. Loki put on a great event and I hope that we can do it again. There was plenty of knowledge being shared and i soaked it up like a sponge. Can't wait to finish my tiki and see some of the others that were started.

H
Helz posted on Sun, Jan 15, 2006 6:42 PM

Thanks all for posting the great pics. Mine are all pretty much the same, but here's a few of the better ones...

Benzart doing his thing

GMAN and Benz discussing the hardware

Everybody into it

AlohaStation with the angle grinder

Some detail work being done Zen style

Tikilicious making her point known

Steve getting in on the fun

Loki and Chip

Benz’z Lono up close

My first carving…the beginning (more to come on this one)

And…

The Marquesan. My version of the roaming gnome.

(Sorry for the resolution, I used a quick and dirty program to shrink them down to help alleviate the download time. If you want any of the full size copies just let me know.)

L
Loki posted on Tue, Jan 17, 2006 11:23 AM

Ok just a few more pics of the event.

The breakfast spread...the lunch spread was consumed by hungry carvers before the pic could be taken...bunch of animals... :lol:

The birth of Moko

Talk about a safe carver... should be inspiration for all power tool users...Go GMAN go....

BenzArt, giving the noobies a lesson in tools.

Lunch break, AlohaStation, Andy, BenzArt,Steve, Tikilicious

AlohaStation carving away...I cant wait to see this one done..it is very cool...

A vegatarians dream...

We were honored to hear the beautiful voice of Tikilicious in song...what a voice!

Enjoying new friends, and a beautiful Florida sunset...

Steve giving it a go with Tikilicious's Moai...we want to see pics of this gal when she's done...

This is just wrong...Lady loki pampers the one and only Tililicious..

Steve and his new friends, Buster the pug and Brembo who is probably after someones food scraps..

Cant wait till the next one......

Pages: 1 46 replies