Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Strikow Tiki Decanter on Ebay

Pages: 1 8 replies

I think this was in The Book Of Tiki. It isn't commonly on Ebay. This one doesn't have the cork, though...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=100&item=736264715&rd=1

You can also spot 2 of them in the picture on the BACK of the Grog Log.

Joe and Aloha Joe's told me they were originally filled with Kalua.

Yes, this decanter was a Kahlua decanter from the 1960's. It came in different colored glaze "pores" - but all with a faux stone finish. Somewhat rare I would guess, since I don't see them often. And different than other tiki decanters in design and material.

Mine has brownish beige glaze pores with a jammed but broken cork and dated 1962 on the bottom. I found it at antique mall for $10.00!

This is one of my favourite modern primitives...used to be quite common on LA fleamarkets in the nineties. Wonder what will happen to the price 2 minutes before closing...

It is interesting because this design inspired
A.) some concrete lawn Tikis
B.) plaster lamp bases
C.) a Tiki carved by Milan Guanko
D.) the lone 10 foot Tiki fronting the Tiki Motel in Vernal, Utah, on 311 East Main (500 feet from the State Dinasaur Museum!).
Anybody been there lately?

Now I finally know what my bottle used to hold - Kalua.

I found my solid black one at an estate sale in Garden Grove for five bucks. It has a broken-off cork jammed in the opening as well.

Sabu

I have one of those (without cork), too. I have seen one with a the Kalua label. Its a black band around the bottom neck.

F

most people consider that sculpture to be a tiki, but i'm not so sure- it looks like it is "conquistador" to me. That or a chess piece.

You see that image around from time to time, and usually in non-tiki circumstances, which makes me suspicious about what its really supposed to be. I'm thinking spanish or medieval. Thus the reason I've passed on those decanters 10,000 times.

How do we know that was supposed to be a tiki?

I think it's more of a 'go-with' than a true tiki piece.
I think it looks more easter island moai style with an abstract, primitve flair.
I have the black one & a different stacked totem style in the color of the one posted.
Very cool pieces in my opinion.

Fatuhiva & Bigbadtikidaddy, I agree with you both. I used to see this decanter all the time! But in the past year or two they seem to have suddenly disappeared. I always questioned whether or not it was Tiki - especially being a Kahlua decanter. Kahlua's decanters are typically South American styled. However, like Tikidaddy, I too, think it looks like an abstract Easter Island Moai. This reason, plus the fact that I stopped seeing them often, urged me to take it the next time I saw one.

Tiki? I think in this case it's a fuzzy line.

Pages: 1 8 replies