Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

help identifying my tiki?

Pages: 1 5 replies

P

hello!

i bought this tiki a couple years ago and was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the style, etc.

given the context of where i found him (in a 100 year old barn in san diego mostly filled with junk from 1900-1950s) and his patina, i'm guessing he dates to the 1950s or possibly even a bit earlier. he stands 33" tall including the base. he's carved out of a hard wood. he's carved out of one piece of wood, except for the base, which is a seperate piece which his feet are bolted to from underneath. there's no signature or other identifying mark on him that i've been able to find.

anyway! that's about all i know. let me know if you need additional pics!

thanks in advance for your help!

pea

8T

Welcome to Tiki Central and congrats on a terrific find!
I'm sure that the members here will provide you with some helpful thoughts. Now I am going to have to find an old barn like that myself!

M

Yes, welcome to the fold. Pretty neato tiki ya gots there. Do you have the "Book of Tiki"? That's always a good resource/paperweight. I am certain some of our more knowledgeable members will chime in and offer some very erudite info as to possible origins/producer. Doubtful one gets that from me.

Nonetheless....It has that Cook Island fisherman idol look to it, doesn't it folks? Somewhat like the Mai Kai rum bottle. The tongue mixes things up though. That takes aways from the overall Rarotongan aspect of the piece, mixes in some Maori.

It's a nice piece and a good size for an apartment-dwelling Tiki dude. Hmm, the perfect gift for someone you just met, but really like. Yes, someone who needs a tiki but is space impaired. Just a thought in this holiday season.

Welcome, hope you stick around and enjoy the environs.
midnite

In Samoa they have a term of endearment for people of mixed race, they call them "fruit salad", I reckon thats what this Tiki is.
Based on Tangaroa as midnite said but with some added extras.
Nice Tiki!

Very interesting!
Sort of a Heinz 57 type of fellow.
I guess he might be similar to what some of us create here, elements of tiki, but generally an artistic representation of whatever we feel like carving at the time.

Reminds me of my alien tiki seen on the left here:

Great find anyhow, he'd make a great addition to any homestead.

P

thanks all for your comments! without knowing a whole heck of a lot about tikis in general, i nevertheless had a suspicion that this guy was a pastiche of some sort... he's definitely cool looking, though! especially w/ the red underlighting i have on him. one other thing i forgot to mention is that he's carved all the way around- ie, he's not just "flat" on the backside, but fully detailed.

cheers-
pea

Pages: 1 5 replies